How-to fix the annoying parking brake chime on 05-06 TJs

dbbd1

go away...
Supporting Member
My parking brake beeps 6 times, everytime I use it (I have a manual). So, I fixed it.

Basically, when you raise the handle, it just grounds a signal to the PCM.

I cut the wire at C301, wire C11 (gray with black stripe).

If you want, you can stop here. This leaves the brake light in the dash cluster still a part of the system, in case if have an actual brake issue. If you just cut the wire, then you will not have any indicator of when your parking brake is engaged. For some, this will be just fine.

I opted to add another light, to let me know.

I ordered this light-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LC2QD96/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Then, I found a switched (ignition) battery positive and ran it to the LED.
The other lead of the LED I ran to the wire that I just cut at C301. I cut my wire at the bottom side of C301 (the black connector), there was more slack wire there, where the wires come out of it and then go through the firewall. I "safed off" the section of wire that heads towards and through the firewall. I tied the ground lead of LED to the section of wire that goes towards the connector.
I mounted the LED near my power port and other switches in the center console.

Here are some pics-

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: Maso and Chris
Nicely done! I wonder if this is a manual transmission thing? I can't really any of my TJs (they were all automatics) doing this ever, and they were all 05-06 models.

I have a 06 manual, never beeped. Maybe they stopped doing it near the end of production.

This is too funny because I was just thinking about this today. My 02 beeps at random. Sometimes it won’t, sometimes it will, regardless of the parking brake position.

05 manual, no beeps unless I happen to take off with the parking brake on

Reactions: Woodstock67
I have the 06 auto, it beeps 4 times when I apply the parking brake. I have ordered a P light, so will change mine when it gets here. Why do I need a beep to tell me I have just applied the parking brake.

You manual guys are lucky. My 05 automatic beeps 4 or 5 times damn times everytime I start the damn bitch up.

Even had a couple people say "Oh, cool, you have a backup buzzer".

I say " Nah, thats the seatbelt buzzer. The sucker chimes up regardless if I'm belted or not".
Stupid Daimler / Chrysler conglomeration bullshit.

You manual guys are lucky. My 05 automatic beeps 4 or 5 times damn times everytime I start the damn bitch up.

Even had a couple people say "Oh, cool, you have a backup buzzer".

I say " Nah, thats the seatbelt buzzer. The sucker chimes up regardless if I'm belted or not".
Stupid Daimler / Chrysler conglomeration bullshit.
My seat belt used to do that, I just unplugged it from under the seat! Sorted.

This is interesting, mine only sounds if I pull the handbrake lever without the brake pedal pressed, if instead the pedal is pressed before raising the lever it does not make any sound. 😁

Reactions: KCsTJ
This is interesting, mine only sounds if I pull the handbrake lever without the brake pedal pressed, if instead the pedal is pressed before raising the lever it does not make any sound. 😁
It's too late for me check now but, I thought that had my foot on the brake when raising the lever.

Anyone else want to try this?

Mine beeps at random. If I come to a stop, foot on brake, and engage parking brake it will beep anywhere from 4-6 times. If I come to a stop, let my foot off the brake and wait 30 seconds or so and engage the parking brake it doesn't beep, but the parking brake light comes on in the dash. Weirdest thing.

'06 TJ 4.0L 6-Speed

Last edited:
Lifted the parking brake boot (no console) and yanked the wire this morning
It's a much more peaceful environment now, I knew the chime bothered me but I guess I didn't realize how much

Reactions: BlueChip