How to flush the automatic transmission on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Ok so I followed the instructions and had the same issue as a couple of other people ATF all over the floor. The fluid runs from passanger side hose into passanger side of radiator. If you disconnect that and attach tube to rad the disconected hose blows ATF all over the place. I cleaned the mess attached passanger side, disconnect driver side and attached hose to driver side rad. Worked after that, i did it in park and didnt seam to have an issue keeping up.

20201010_185319.jpg

Adding fishing pole holders to front of jeep - $25
Flushing transmission fluid in Jeep - $40
Flushing transmission fluid barefoot - Priceless

• Haha
Reactions: minimull
Again knowing this is an old thread, I just bought a 05 tj with the 42rle. The dry fill is supposed to be 4 quarts for a pan drop and 8.8 quarts for a dry fill. When I dropped the pan for the filter change, I got almost 8 quarts out(???). So after the filter change and gasket replacement, I put only 4 quarts in. I am now going to add a trans cooler and do a fluid flush. I do not want to overfill the transmission while doing this. How much should I have in the bucket when done? My calculations don't seem to make sense. 4 quarts in the pan, i am assuming I'm 4.8 quarts short as i got 8 quarts out during the filter swap, if I flush with 12 quarts and get 8 quarts out that should leave me with quarts for the dry fill. 8.8 total dry fill - 8 quarts for pan drop + 4 quarts filled in pan after filter change + 12 quarts for the flush = 16.8 quarts total , leaving 8 quarts in the bucket I should have 8.8 quarts in the transmission correct?

Are you sure you got 8 from pan drop? It should be 8.8 total? But if you put 4 in already then flush with 12 that would equal 16. Think you are starting to way over think it. Why would you flush with more than you need? I get it but its forcing old out first and what little is left is negligible compaired to the measuring pain you have created. Dont get stuck on the 8 quarts from pan drop pretty sure that number is wrong. What I did that worked was rounded up so 8.8=9 (you will lose some extra when you cut engine off and reconnect after you are done pouring.) Pour in 9 quarts as fast as possible if you can keep up. As soon as the last bit leaves the funnel cut engine and reconnect. You should have lost enough during the engine shut off and reconnect that you should be a little under 8.8. Check level appropriately and and add more if you need it. If for some crazy reason you have extra pop hose off blow a little out, not that big a deal you just did it to flush it. Hope all that babbling made since.

I've bought my 03 rubi with 63,000 and it currently has 80,000 at what mileage should i flush and replace filter. Some say don't flush until the fluid is dirty some say they've never done it. others say do it every so many miles. When should it be done ?

Anyone have tips for the flush portion of this? I have dropped the pan, cleaned, replaced filter/gasket, bolted it back up, and filled lost fluid.

I'm not understanding what to do with the hose to the radiator. I loosened the clamp and tried to pull the hose loose but it wouldn't come off. I loosened the whole nut and everything, but there was nowhere for me to attach the plastic tubing to really. I had atf going everywhere out of the hose and radiator, so I just put the hose back on.

I have a 2001 4.0L 32RH for reference.

Anyone have tips for the flush portion of this? I have dropped the pan, cleaned, replaced filter/gasket, bolted it back up, and filled lost fluid.

I'm not understanding what to do with the hose to the radiator. I loosened the clamp and tried to pull the hose loose but it wouldn't come off. I loosened the whole nut and everything, but there was nowhere for me to attach the plastic tubing to really. I had atf going everywhere out of the hose and radiator, so I just put the hose back on.

Yes you will have atf fluid going everywhere thats why the write up says to use a 5 gallon bucket. Go to begging of thread and read entire write up. Skim commets after that and you will know eveything you need too. Its pretty detailed you just have to read it.

Yes you will have atf fluid going everywhere thats why the write up says to use a 5 gallon bucket. Go to begging of thread and read entire write up. Skim commets after that and you will know eveything you need too. Its pretty detailed you just have to read it.

I have read the forum and comment multiple times. I have watched several YouTube videos.

Two way discussion is the reason this is a forum and not a pamphlet.

I just can't get the hose off the metal tube that was mentioned. I loosen the clamp and tug hard as shit on the hose but it doesn't even budge. Just worried I'm going to break something. This is currently our only car and we are about to be moving.

Last edited:
Ok I got you so I made same mistake aps you can see from pic I posted with atf all over floor. Do it this way easier apnd better. Write up was wrong for me at least part or I didnt understand either. I had to re read your info. So fluid flows in on passanger side and out on driver side. So what I did was remove driver side from opposite end of radiator and let that hang into bucket. Put bucket under disconnect. No need for extra hose.

I just replaced pan with one with a drain plug, filter and gasket, got a late start so left it over night with pan off draining. Finished up next day.
So far I have 6 quarts back in and am having issues, do you guys think it drained the torque converter as well?
04 LJ, no trans issues prior.

I just replaced pan with one with a drain plug, filter and gasket, got a late start so left it over night with pan off draining. Finished up next day.
So far I have 6 quarts back in and am having issues, do you guys think it drained the torque converter as well?
04 LJ, no trans issues prior.
I left my pan off for 3 days and it drained 7 quarts. I doubt the torque converter was drained, if you drained and refilled 6 quarts, you still had an additional 3 quarts out of 9 left. In my case I didn't feel the need to completely change all of my fluid as it was a bright red clean and filled properly to begin with.

You may need to actually go through the gears PRND and go around the block a few times to get a more accurate reading. I had my TJ idling for practically an hour, I knew I needed 7 quarts back in, but the dipstick would reach full before then unless I drove it a bit through the gears.

Ok so I followed the instructions and had the same issue as a couple of other people ATF all over the floor. The fluid runs from passanger side hose into passanger side of radiator. If you disconnect that and attach tube to rad the disconected hose blows ATF all over the place. I cleaned the mess attached passanger side, disconnect driver side and attached hose to driver side rad. Worked after that, i did it in park and didnt seam to have an issue keeping up.

View attachment 195477
@Midnight LJR this looks so fun. (Insert sarcasm here)

Can we just manual swap the dam thing?

• Haha
Reactions: Midnight LJR
ATF +4 is a specific Chrysler recipe correct? i can't get enough of any single brand, been to 4 stores....... 3 here. 4 there,

is mixing brands a possible problem? i know what the literature says.......not an issue......but some chit don't float in the jeep world.

NM............. i scored all 1 brand.

Last edited: