How to get better gas mileage from your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Okay, admittedly this title is clickbait, that's sort of what I intended it to be.

However, I'd also like to address this issue because I see the question come up quite frequently, "How can I get better gas mileage from my Jeep Wrangler TJ?".

There's a short answer and a long answer. Let's start with the short answer:

The short answer is that you really can't get better gas mileage from your TJ.

The long answer is that it may indeed be possible to squeeze a few extra mpgs from your TJ, but it's going to be a big waste of money that you'll spend chasing dismal gains.

The TJ weighs a lot. In addition to that, it's probably one of the lease aerodynamic vehicles ever produced. Think of driving a barn down the highway on wheels. The air doesn't go over the top of it, it runs right into it like a huge air brake. So there's your first issue, poor aerodynamics. In addition to that, the immense weight of the TJ is another issue with poor gas mileage.

Look at a vehicle like the Prius. Aside from the fact that it's a hybrid, one of the reasons it gets such good gas mileage is because of it's light weight and it's extremely aerodynamic shape (believe it or not, a Prius has better aerodynamics than a Porsche 911). The TJ has none of these going for it.

Wasting your money on air intakes, exhausts, etc., with the hope of improving your fuel economy is a royal waste of money.

The bottom line is this: If you bought your TJ with the idea that you could get decent fuel economy from it, you bought the wrong car. Plain and simple.

My suggestion? Buy a second vehicle like most of us have. That way you can have a TJ that's fun to drive, and another vehicle that gets good gas mileage and is great for commuting.

One of the things that I have found to give (very) modest gains is installing a scan gauge. You can get minor improvement by watching the real time mileage and adjusting your driving to suit.

...however, with the loose-change you save on gas, the bloody scan gauge isn't going to pay itself off anytime soon ;)

Not recommended unless you want it to monitor other aspects of your TJ's performance.

THANK YOU! I crack up at all the posts all over about mpg in a TJ, lifted, 33's, 4.88's, heavy ass bumpers, winch, etc, etc. Want good mileage, get a economizer car. My 08 Honda Fit knocks down 35 on ave, is at 316k and running like a champ.

Realistically the only way to extract decent mileage is to keep it stock.

You can get minor improvement by watching the real time mileage and adjusting your driving to suit.

Amen. The only effective way to get better gas mileage in a TJ is to adjust your driving habits. You might be able to get 2-3mpg more by taking it easy. But then you have to ask yourself why? It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to get good fuel economy!

Realistically the only way to extract decent mileage is to keep it stock.

Totally, I agree!

About the only three easily done. things you can do to improve mpg is to 1) Slow down on the highway. 2) Slow down on the highway. 3) Make sure your tires are fully aired up to the correct air pressure for their size. Yes I know the first two are the same. ;)

I have been curious as to the most efficient way to drive my TJ?

I accelerate slowly (I am the guy going 20mph in the right hand lane), I try to stay in 5th gear whenever I can, and on the highway I keep it at 1950 rpms (60mph). I found that that's when I get the most mileage out of a single tank.

However, is there anything else I can do to improve it even more - regardless of the steel wheels, tubular steel bumper, 80lbs winch, and 33" tires? :hmmm:

Reactions: Shatto
Mine gets the best mileage around 2000-2500 rpm. The only thing is, that's backroad speed for me. I'll get an exact speed, but I think I can only go around 80-90 kph for those rpms.

You'll get the best mileage by keeping it between 2000-2500 rpm as much as possible. It will also put you to sleep fast!

Do all TJs have either a 15 or 19 gallon tank?
Cause I rolled into a gas station the other day on fumes and it took a little over 16 gallons to fill it up.

Screenshot_20161118-070743.png

About the only threee easily done. things that you can do to improve mpg is to 1) Slow down on the highway. 2) Slow down on the highway. 3) Make sure your tires are fully aired up to the correct air pressure for their size. Yes I know the first two are the same. ;)

True stuff.

My TJ is gutted and weighs just a hair over 3100 lbs. The tires are aired up to 30 psi. I drive 55 mph on the highway to work (speed limit is 70). People don't like me when I do that but F-em. I ain't in no hurry and I leave early enough to take my time. My average is 18.5 mpg but worse with the doors and top off.

Do all TJs have either a 15 or 19 gallon tank?
Cause I rolled into a gas station the other day on fumes and it took a little over 16 gallons to fill it up.

19 gallons. Yea I have done that plenty of times where I am freaking out and thinking I'm gonna run out of gas - then I fill my tank and I still had 3 to 2 gallons left...

Our gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True stuff.

My TJ is gutted and weighs just a hair over 3100 lbs. The tires are aired up to 30 psi. I drive 55 mph on the highway to work (speed limit is 70). People don't like me when I do that but F-em. I ain't in no hurry and I leave early enough to take my time. My average is 18.5 mpg but worse with the doors and top off.

See that's how I drive and I get similar gas mileage. But, when I drove above 2000rpms my MPG seemed to drop off?

And yes screw those guys. Just slow down for once in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 2.5L engine with (relatively) low miles and excellent maintenance, and the MPG is horrible - compared to my 2.4L Accord. But I'm not complaining. It would be pretty "remarkable" to even think that a lead cube rolling down the street on fat tires could ever get decent mileage. However, there are two definitive ways to improve mileage on your TJ: 1) Park it, 2) Sell it.

If you want better gas mileage leave it stock, buy smaller or skinnier tires, drop it do not lift it, add a Daytona Charger front clip not a steel bar with a winch, stinger and 4 more lights, remove everything which sticks out into the air flow..... no windshield bar lights, no roof rack, no jack on the hood. Other than that go easy on the skinny pedal and stay under 50mph. Aerodynamic drag increases exponentially as speed increases.

Best option, buy a used econo box for commuting.... or a bike. Save the TJ for exploring.