How to get better gas mileage from your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I have been thinking about a good fuel saving vehicle as a secondary? Also to limit the wear and tear on my most adored possession.

Maybe a Tacoma or a Ranger? Or....just go all out and get a Civic or a Prius?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shatto
I have been thinking about a good fuel saving vehicle as a secondary? Also to limit the wear and tear on my most adored possession.

A Tacoma or ranger will get crappy mileage as well. We have a Hybrid for our second vehicle. Gets great mpg!

Reactions: Shatto and Frank
A Tacoma or ranger will get crappy mileage as well. We have a Hybrid for our second vehicle. Gets great mpg!

Well the 4 cylinder Ranger gets 20-25 mpg. If I didn't get that, then I'd just get a used Civic! I can't afford a hybrid. :O

I'd get a diesel Jetta over a hybrid. We've owned two, an 88 and an 02. We'd generally hit 950-1100 km per tank in the 02. The older diesels are much easier to work on than the new ones though.

I'd get a diesel Jetta over a hybrid. We've owned two, an 88 and an 02. We'd generally hit 950-1100 km per tank in the 02. The older diesels are much easier to work on than the new ones though.

They sell those things? I had no idea....thank you for changing my life.

Or an Elantra.

I netted 49 mpg at 55 mph on a flat turnpike with two heavy toolboxes in the back. My lady drives 70 and gets 28 average.

My TJ has a 2" lift with 32" KO2's and 3.73 gears. This summer we took a mostly on road trip through the Colorado Rockies. I ran 28lbs in the tires and got an average of 18mpg at typical speeds of 68 mph. Speedometer is off a couple mph but I tracked miles and speed with gps. Put on about 1200 miles. About half of those miles were actually mountainous. We drove slower while at higher elevations on dirt roads topless. Even had I gotten 14 mpg I'd have been happy. Lots of smiles per miles!! We just purchased a 2016 JKU Rubicon with 3.73 gears and it has yet to get better than 18 mpg. It only has 1300 miles at this point though. My 2010 hemi Dodge Ram 4x4 is lucky to get 17 on the highway. Of the 3 I'm happiest in the TJ.

Reactions: Shatto and StG58
I'll throw my three cents worth in here.

1999 TJ SE - If I drive it like a sane person it gets about 17 - 18 mpg. Exceed the speed limit (65 around here) and the mileage goes to hell quickly.

2012 JKU - Gets about 18 mpg in general running around. A little more on the highway cruising at the speed limit.

1999 Suburban w/ a 454 - Gets right around 16 mpg no matter what you do to or with it.

It's a trade off. If you want to spend less on gas, get an economy car and put up with how they drive. If you think you have special needs then you are going to pay at the pump for that. It's interesting to note that the cost per mile between the old Saab 9-3 and the new JKU is marginal at best. Premium gas vs. Regular gas makes a huge difference. The TJ is happy with anything that looks and smells like gas. Don't know about the JKU. The Suburban only likes reputable Premium grade gas. You just never know until you mess about with brands and grades.

Life is too short to worry about gas mileage. my daily is a jeep commander andonly gets 18mpg, but I only drive about 8 miles a day. my old truck was a 08 gmc sierra and I was lucky to get 15 mpg. but our gas saver is the wife's 14 jeep compass. if yall can't tell I enjoy JEEP lol.

Haha no can't tell!

But, gas is expensive dude.

Reactions: Shatto and Chris
Makes me consider getting one as a work truck. [emoji52]

My buddy had one back in the day. The only thing I can comment on was that it was a dog when you were hauling things or going up hills! Other than that, he liked it though.

So true! Can't have it both ways (unless you have a Tesla).

And a sweet looking car too at that. Except, not as sweet as a TJ of course.

Also, is it true that generally the higher speed you are going the more fuel efficient you will be?

I'm trying to figure out in my head what is more fuel efficient: 4:10 gears or 3:73? And which is more fuel efficient at higher speeds?

Reactions: Chris
Also, is it true that generally the higher speed you are going the more fuel efficient you will be?

Not necessarily. What's going to make a bigger difference is not stopping and going. The reason cars typically get much better gas mileage on the highway is because they aren't stopping and going, they're just going.

Think of it like a deadlift exercise. In order for you to lift that weight off the ground it takes a ton of force and exertion. Once you get it up though, it's not as hard to hold it there. But if you keep going down and up, then it definitely wears you out much quicker.

I'm trying to figure out in my head what is more fuel efficient: 4:10 gears or 3:73? And which is more fuel efficient at higher speeds?

You're thinking too much at this point. I say that because the difference in those gears is going to be so negligible on fuel economy that you won't notice it. What is going to make the most difference on fuel economy is how you drive the Jeep.

Not necessarily. What's going to make a bigger difference is not stopping and going. The reason cars typically get much better gas mileage on the highway is because they aren't stopping and going, they're just going.

Think of it like a deadlift exercise. In order for you to lift that weight off the ground it takes a ton of force and exertion. Once you get it up though, it's not as hard to hold it there. But if you keep going down and up, then it definitely wears you out much quicker.

You're thinking too much at this point. I say that because the difference in those gears is going to be so negligible on fuel economy that you won't notice it. What is going to make the most difference on fuel economy is how you drive the Jeep.

Ok thank you!

But I always thought that gear ratio had a huge impact on fuel efficiency?