How to get better gas mileage from your Jeep Wrangler TJ

There are always these options.... lol (Not surprised that both of these are JKs haha)
View attachment 18335 View attachment 18336

IMG_3296.JPG

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
When it comes to crotch rockets, size matters. I'm 6'2" and tried out all the popular ones. Couldn't get comfortable on any of them. Just too big. Ended up on a Yamaha warrior...that was a fun machine. Didn't have the outright speed of a rocket, but she was QUICK!

Honestly it is my daily driver, and I have had it for almost 10 years. Pretty used to it by now. It has just a touch under 40K miles on it.

You're a brave man! I've owned everything from a Ducati 999R to an Aprilia RSV4 Factory to an R1. I finally gave up on sport bikes after 10+ years. The riding position was just to taxing on my body (especially as I got older), especially when going through city driving in stop and go.

You're a brave man! I've owned everything from a Ducati 999R to an Aprilia RSV4 Factory to an R1. I finally gave up on sport bikes after 10+ years. The riding position was just to taxing on my body (especially as I got older), especially when going through city driving in stop and go.

I have only ridden sport bikes. Other than I had a Harley Wide Glide for a short stint, but I started in the 80's with a Yamaha Seca, then went to an R6, then tried a Honda CBR1000rr Repsol, had that for almost 50K miles, and I tracked that for a few years, then this R1. My body is probably permanently stuck in the right position for a sport bike by now. I am over a half a century year old, but can't seem to stop riding. Maybe its the gas mileage?

Reactions: Chris
I have only ridden sport bikes. Other than I had a Harley Wide Glide for a short stint, but I started in the 80's with a Yamaha Seca, then went to an R6, then tried a Honda CBR1000rr Repsol, had that for almost 50K miles, and I tracked that for a few years, then this R1. My body is probably permanently stuck in the right position for a sport bike by now. I am over a half a century year old, but can't seem to stop riding. Maybe its the gas mileage?

It may be! I switched to a Harley Sportster, and that thing is very, very comfortable. Perfect riding position for me.

I see older guys in their 60s and up riding sport bikes without complaining, so it could just be an individual thing.

Come on now! Yall got it all wrong it's not about miles per gallon, it's all about smiles per mile!
Agreed. I retired my yaris ( 40 mpg) to buy the TJ. I got almost 19 mpg driving across Canada last year with a stiff tailwind at 50 miles per hour. Otherwise i find i can keep within budget by parking it.

Newbie here, 98TJ 4.0, 5 Speed, got a "shift light" on the dash. Not like my old hot rod Chevy tack at 6800RPM. This thing seems to want me to always "lug" the engine, 13-1500 rpm. I kinda ignore it like a faulty Ck engine light. Stock everything, but are the 4.0's supposed to be lugged all the time at 1100-1500RPM? Does not sound right to me. Thanks

Newbie here, 98TJ 4.0, 5 Speed, got a "shift light" on the dash. Not like my old hot rod Chevy tack at 6800RPM. This thing seems to want me to always "lug" the engine, 13-1500 rpm. I kinda ignore it like a faulty Ck engine light. Stock everything, but are the 4.0's supposed to be lugged all the time at 1100-1500RPM? Does not sound right to me. Thanks
Previous owner probably fitted larger tires without considering gear ratio.

Last edited:
03 sport, 33" tires: when I bought it stock, the shift light came on at 1500 rpm. Still does after tons of mods, and new gearing/axles. Tires shouldn't affect the shift light. Don't know why it comes on so early though. I just ignore it.

After lifting, and putting on 33s, I stayed with the 3.07s for about a year. Mileage strangely went up a little. With about half my miles in the countryside(55-60mph), and half stop-and-go in town(25-35mph), I almost always got 17ish gallons. First full tank after the tires was 17.76 mpg . It was a dog from a stoplight with those 3.07s though.

Now I've swapped to 4.10s, and haven't checked the math yet for mpg, but she sure drives a lot sweeter.

I don't drive for speed though. I coast when I see a red light or stop sign ahead, and I drive relaxed. Guess I brought the hang loose mentality back from Hawaii to Ohio with me

Last edited:
Best mileage mod I ever did to my jeep: bought a Mazda 3

Second best mileage mod I did to my jeep: bought a diesel truck and aluminum trailer.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

but are the 4.0's supposed to be lugged all the time at 1100-1500RPM?
No. 2000rpm is kinda the sweet spot for cruising. 3000rpm is where they start to make power. I've never hit 5000rpm but on a long steep mountain grade the 4.0L will pull forever at 4000rpm. On a down grade, using the engine to hold you back, they don't develop any braking power until 3000rpm.

Reactions: johnny deeker