How to get better gas mileage from your Jeep Wrangler TJ

There is an android app. Could be an apple app too. Called Gas Guru. It finds the cheapest gas in your area. Very handy. Saves me anywhere from .10 cents to .30 cents per gallon. Over half a million downloads and 4.2 stars.

It gives you gas prices on a map of your area. So you can find the cheapest ones near you.

Has anyone seen a difference using different grades of gasoline!?
I get about 10 to 20 miles more on a tank of gas when I use higher grade, depends on the roads I travel. The more hills and wind, the more it uses. Noticed this when taking a long trip, not driving around town. Also, I add a can of Seafoam every 4th or 5th fill up too.

Reactions: Mud dauber
How much reduction in gas mileage would a bad O2 sensor give you? Just wondering how many guys are driving around pissed at their crappy Jeep MPG. Unwittingly driving around with a bad sensor.

I've never hit 20mpg, averaged closer to 17mpg. I've always run 33x10.50s. But I put on new tires, 7.50R16s... and I now get 22mpg without trying. A 5mpg bump from a change of tires.

Plus my TJ coasts forever. Rolling up on a red light, I need to hit the brakes to stop in time. I used to just coast to a stop.

I'm never going back.
DSC_0014.jpg

I've never hit 20mpg, averaged closer to 17mpg. I've always run 33x10.50s. But I put on new tires, 7.50R16s... and I now get 22mpg without trying. A 5mpg bump from a change of tires.

Plus my TJ coasts forever. Rolling up on a red light, I need to hit the brakes to stop in time. I used to just coast to a stop.

I'm never going back.
View attachment 114965
I got 13mpg with 33x10.5 and 13mpg with 35s. But have a hard time spending $100 on sensors when I haven't had any codes pop hoping for an increase.

Maybe I just need skinny tires for the street :p

I'm never going back.
View attachment 114965

I really like that look. It's a throwback to the early days. Reminds me of guys on safari. National Geographic's Wild Kingdom! Remember that show? ...anybody? (LOL!) Or like Lawrence of Arabia. The Desert Rats. They would look cool on a Jeep with alot of tan fabric. To mimic all the canvas back in the day. :) You should also run plain old steel rims. That would add to the look. ;)

Sounds about right where I am at. I did put a 160 thermostat in it Summer of 2017 and replaced my water pump. I'm going to change that this week. Being in Arizona at the time, simply driving a few miles to the store and home a was too much with the stock 195 thermostat. My radiator would be boiling. With the 160 thermostat it did much better. California is hot as well, but, there's something special about Arizona's heat. It'll heatstroke the toughest in a hurry. Being in California now, my Jeep runs a few degrees cooler, around 190/195. Yet, In AZ, around 210/215. (That is with the 160 thermostat in.)
I'm going to change it regardless and see what happens. Ty for responding. Larr
It sounds like you have air in the block and some effeciency issues with the radiator, a properly functioning cooling system will not vary too much, even at 110 degrees.

When I bought my TJ a few months back (74K miles on it) it was getting in the low 13's. It's fairly stock so I did 3 things to try and get the milage up a little. Spark plugs (the originals were shot), O2 Sensors and a top end cleaning with polyetheramine (I have 2 GDI vehicles and have a pressurized injector cleaner set up). Finally an old fashioned "Italian Tune Up". The PEA did loosen up some deposits because there was a pretty good cloud of smoke for the first mile or so after the cleaning.

Not sure which one of these or the combination worked the best but I'm now consistently around 15mpg in mixed driving and a recent 120 mile highway trip came in at 18.8mpg. These seem about right for a TJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Living down here in TX, we idle our cars slot in the summer, need the A/C. Especially with the current COVID outbreak, wait until the Jeep for everything. Rn I’m getting 11MPG, hurts as she’s the daily. But I do have a bad CAT (changed the 02’s twice) and she’s in need of a sea foam. Oh, and I like my 2nd gear pulls. 😬

hopefully I could get that back towards. 15-18. I would be crazy to expect more.

The best mileage I've got with my jeep is 15mpg...
20200715_191836.jpg

Off the trailer I get 13 mpg.

Reactions: chad
Best way to improve gas mileage is not to drive it.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ