How to hang spare wheel once you've gone larger

AfricanPotatoTJ

I picked up a set of std JK rims & tyres (17") wheels that fit the TJ aren't available in the required PCD in South Africa.

Anyway, I flew back a set of adapters to convert from TJ hubs to JK but the first issue I faced was that the spare 17" doesn't clear the rear bumper - I haven't even gotten to the point of trying to get the 119 to 129 PCD to fit, the standard tyre doesn't even clear the rear bumper.

For anyone that has made changes, what have you done to overcome this? For me ideally I can just by some sort of bracket/adapter to alleviate the entire issue without having to make too major modifications?

Thanks lads,

You will most likely need an aftermarket tire carrier. I have the Exogate with a JK bolt pattern wheel. The Exogate is good up to a 35" tire. Though I have a 37" on it with some extra support.

While we're on the subject, how does the stock carrier do with 10.5x31s?

The tire will clear the bumper with room to spare (about 3/4" IIRC). But you might have to trim the 3 rubber bumpers since the tire is fatter, and/or put a spacer between the tire carrier and the wheel to hold it out a little. Mine liked a 1/4" plastic spacer and a trim, but PO did it so I don't know exactly how much he trimmed. 33" tires will hit the bumper (even if they're 32.5").

Reactions: Zorba
I think it also depends upon the wheels, as in the backspacing / offset. My Jeep has 11.50 x 32 tires and the spare hangs on the factory tailgate fine without any adapters, spacers, etc.

Well there is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HS8ITGS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

1675385632999.jpeg

this moves it up and out-

I just removed the existing bolts and re drilled the factory mount and moved mine up so my tire sits slightly on the hitch to help support the weight. but I don’t have the factory bumper. Maybe a few pictures of where you are hitting might help dial in some solution ideas.(y)

• USA Proud
Reactions: inkedrose and RINC
Well there is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HS8ITGS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 397204

this moves it up and out-

I just removed the existing bolts and re drilled the factory mount and moved mine up so my tire sits slightly on the hitch to help support the weight. but I don’t have the factory bumper. Maybe a few pictures of where you are hitting might help dial in some solution ideas.(y)
That just gives a bigger/heavier spare tire a lot more leverage against the tailgate which will only encourage it to fail more quickly. That's the last thing I would install for a bigger heavier spare tire.

I would see if the adapter on the spare carrier fix it, but also make 100% sure the rubber bumps have solid contact. This could add leverage in a negative way, would be a short term fix, although my TJ came with an adapter back there and has been on since 2015 when I got it, probably much longer.

The longer term is the Myoride or Exogate fix. I've got that in the garage and will be getting it on the TJ in the next few weeks, but from reading that will be the best way to fix it.

That just gives a bigger/heavier spare tire a lot more leverage against the tailgate which will only encourage it to fail more quickly. That's the last thing I would install for a bigger heavier spare tire.

OP this is a very good point from Jerry on the Amazon solution. I was bit under whelmed with stoutness of the factory mount when I went to modify mine.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford