How to identify length of spring installed on jeep

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
@Dave K. found his jk drivers side spring broke and we have no clue what kind or size of springs are on there. Is there a way to measure the intact spring to at least figure out what length replacements we need, and can we have the front two springs be different brand then the backs since we can’t identify them? He have a blizzard going on here and he uses this to plow his ex step mothers. Looks like he might be driving the unregistered one there seeing we won’t get what we need on a Sunday in a blizzard
799635A1-3317-457C-83C3-E095210C7600.jpeg
F10B2779-8119-46DB-85A1-B885260BE146.jpeg

Kathy,

I don't know much about JK's, but if you measure the length of the rear spring, sitting at ride height, then google what the stock spring length is, you should be able to find the difference between the two and that is your lift height. Lift height should be the same front and rear. It shouldn't matter what brand spring goes back in, but get something high quality...or they will break again!

Reactions: Kathy
X2 to the above. For certainty I’d go check on a JK forum. Those people should be able to answer your questions as easily as TJ questions are answered here.

Reactions: Kathy
Anyone got a set of stock JK takeoffs on Craigslist near you? I got some once for free, the owner was trying to clear their garage after a suspension upgrade. Something to get you by for now...

Something like this:

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/pts/d/jeep-wrangler-and-ram-1500/6556264505.html
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked yesterday and did find Some used for sale but they were all for stock height. Dave ended up buying 4 new springs to start and will see what else pops up when installing.