How-to install a B&M 70264 Supercooler in your Jeep Wrangler TJ

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I installed my B&M 70264 Supercooler installed in the summer of 2017. The installation wasn't bad, but would have been easier without a winch in the way. It took me 3 days to install it because I could only get an hour or two at a time to work on it before having to stop and go to work. Honestly, the hardest part was finding a good way to route the hoses that didn't kink them too much or rub on something. I used pieces of old 3/4 inch heater hose to slip over the transmission hoses in certain spots to prevent chafing. Prior to the installation when it sit idling for a while, my gauge would be around 180 degrees. The two days I drove it to work after the installation, and sit idling the same amount of time, it stayed just over 160 degrees. These were mid to upper 90's degree days outside.

I mounted it to the V support like others have done, using aircraft cable clamps. I did drill 2 new holes in the bottom mounting flange of the cooler so it would line up with where the clamps would be. I installed a couple pieces of hose on the V support to take up a little space that was between the cooler and the V support to prevent movement/rattling/chafing. I also unspooled my winch cable and removed one of the crossbars for easier access between the grill slats. Routed the hoses out of the radiator, into the cooler then back to the transmission.
IMG_3159.JPG IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3158.JPG IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3173.JPG IMG_3165.JPG

A little trick I learned in the Air Force to hold nuts in sockets when you're working in tight places. A little piece of paper over the nut when you put it in the socket.
IMG_3174.JPG

And these little socket adapter from Harbor Freight are great. I've had them for a long time and they don't get used much, but they are one of those things that are indispensable when needed. Pop them in the end of a socket and use a wrench on it.
IMG_3175.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG

A little trick I learned in the Air Force to hold nuts in sockets when you're working in tight places. A little piece of paper over the nut when you put it in the socket.
I learned to do the same in the Navy (Tomcats).

And these little socket adapter from Harbor Freight are great. I've had them for a long time and they don't get used much, but they are one of those things that are indispensable when needed. Pop them in the end of a socket and use a wrench on it.

I've never seen this adaptor before thanks for sharing! I could have used this at least a time or two.

Reactions: MountaineerTom