How to install a CJ tailgate on your TJ

Minute 9:46 I felt your pain. If you ever want to start selling the backing plates with the nuts welded on them already I am sure There's a few of us who would buy them plus shipping.

Thank you for sharing

Waiting for video #2 and see how the push latches will work.

I actually don't mind the factory setup as long as you can get that little head to align with the closing latches it works very well.

Reactions: hosejockey61
Minute 9:46 I felt your pain. If you ever want to start selling the backing plates with the nuts welded on them already I am sure There's a few of us who would buy them plus shipping.

Thank you for sharing

Waiting for video #2 and see how the push latches will work.

I actually don't mind the factory setup as long as you can get that little head to align with the closing latches it works very well.

It would be easy to make some, just have to find time 👍

Reactions: Ephry73
nice job. pretty slick way of slippin those nut plates in.

i'm really interested in seeing that new latch sys. i might steal that.
and i'm finding the support wires are gonna need about a 1" stand-off to avoid bending around the body.

i also considered a small hole between the hinge bolt holes on the body panel, that would allow that nut plate to be tacked in place, but i didn't do it.

Last edited:
nice job. pretty slick way of slippin those nut plates in.

i'm really interested in seeing that new latch sys. i might steal that.
and i'm finding the support wires are gonna need about a 1" stand-off to avoid bending around the body.

i also considered a small hole between the hinge bolt holes on the body panel, that would allow that nut plate to be tacked in place, but i didn't do it.
For a temporary solution, I put 1" blocks on the inside and the original latches work great. I haven't had the time to revisit the latch component yet. I remember the wire issue but also was trying to figure the best way to attach the latches without having a big open hole on the back side needed to get the retaining nut inside. I'll get back to it eventually.

I never wrapped up some of the finishing details on my Quik-Latch setup, but had bought some snap-in round plastic hole plugs and added some holes for the Quik-Latch post to go through. I was going back and forth between a slot and an oversized hole to account for the swing of the gate as the post moved past the plug, but either way, it really cleaned up the inside of the tailgate. I was very happy with the latches, and can't recommend them enough. I think it's only a matter of time before I do this again...