How to Install a Double DIN Head Unit and New Speakers in a Jeep TJ

I recently bought a 2004 Rubicon TJ (my dream car) and made a video about it. One of the first things I did was to upgrade the head unit and speakers. The video link below will start at the head unit and speaker install section.

Well done video. I too just picked up my TJ! 🙌 Will you be documenting the build on a thread here, or just on YouTube?

Well done video. I too just picked up my TJ! 🙌 Will you be documenting the build on a thread here, or just on YouTube?
Thanks! I have a build thread that I started when I first got the jeep that's linked in my signature, do you see it? I plan to put everything I do to the jeep in the build thread and make videos for the bigger things that are less jeep specific (painting doors, reupholstering seats, etc.)

Its all about the PHOoooOOONE!!!!! ;)
For me that WAS part of it. I was a commercial truck driver the last 10 years before I retired. Just a straight truck, but I had to have a CDL. The Feds came out with the rule about hand-held phones for CDL drivers about 5 years before the states got around to civilian laws covering them. I first used bluetooth headsets, then switched to car radios that linked to the phone. I liked my job too much to jeopardize it by getting busted for holding a phone in my hand.

For me that WAS part of it. I was a commercial truck driver the last 10 years before I retired. Just a straight truck, but I had to have a CDL. The Feds came out with the rule about hand-held phones for CDL drivers about 5 years before the states got around to civilian laws covering them. I first used bluetooth headsets, then switched to car radios that linked to the phone. I liked my job too much to jeopardize it by getting busted for holding a phone in my hand.
Big reason why I love Android auto/carplay for navigation. No reaching for my phone ever.

It's disturbing driving around and seeing so many people looking down and then occasionally glancing up at the road...

Big reason why I love Android auto/carplay for navigation. No reaching for my phone ever.

It's disturbing driving around and seeing so many people looking down and then occasionally glancing up at the road...
I see that crap all the time - BUT - here's a revolutionary idea: Leave the phone in the glove box or at home. "Hang up and drive." You don't need it, you just think you do - convinced by the TelCos who are making money so fast on this worldwide gadget addiction that they might as well be printing it.

I see that crap all the time - BUT - here's a revolutionary idea: Leave the phone in the glove box or at home. "Hang up and drive." You don't need it, you just think you do - convinced by the TelCos who are making money so fast on this worldwide gadget addiction that they might as well be printing it.
Or just have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for a hands-free experience with the convenience of endless navigation and music at your fingertips - as stated, with your eyes on the road the entire time. ;)

This is definitely on my short to-do list. Thanks again for the detailed video @Project Billd , I do see your thread in your signature (y)

Reactions: Project Billd
Or just have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for a hands-free experience with the convenience of endless navigation and music at your fingertips - as stated, with your eyes on the road the entire time. ;)
Navigation is done with a Garmin, music "at your fingertips" is done with any "mechless" head unit that a "geek stick" can be plugged in. No phone needed, easier, and FAR cheaper!

As a pro driver, I did not have that option. My boss needed to be able to contact me when he needed to. Basically for a while,it was a requirement of my job. And it was damned convenient. Now that I am retired, I find that I need it much less, but still the laws are on the books, and hands-free is the way to go.

As a pro driver, I did not have that option. My boss needed to be able to contact me when he needed to. Basically for a while,it was a requirement of my job. And it was damned convenient. Now that I am retired, I find that I need it much less, but still the laws are on the books, and hands-free is the way to go.
Yea, yea - I've heard it all before. Everybody is *the* exception.

Last edited:
Can you post a couple of pictures of the before and after?
I'm curious how much the AC controls are moved for the Double DIN.
It looks like the profile of the dash didn't change very much (ie not sticking out further).
There is a nice radio with a pop-out screen that fits the factory dash, but it partially covers the AC controls.
I have the ARB air lockers below the AC controls and I assume those don't move much
s-l1600 (18).jpg

Can you post a couple of pictures of the before and after?
I'm curious how much the AC controls are moved for the Double DIN.
It looks like the profile of the dash didn't change very much (ie not sticking out further).
There is a nice radio with a pop-out screen that fits the factory dash, but it partially covers the AC controls.
I have the ARB air lockers below the AC controls and I assume those don't move much
I don't really have any good before pictures but the ac controls barely moved. I shimmed the controls out with 1/8 inch nylon washers but it wasn't entirely necessary, just was a small gap and I thought it looked better. The profile of the dash is pretty much identical so none of the switches below should be impacted.

I can take some better after pictures tomorrow if you'd like.

I looked at the various radios with pop out or detachable screens that fit single din openings but in the end I thought they seemed a poor choice for a vehicle that I would be taking off road. Plus blocking controls/vents would drive me crazy very quickly

The AC control panel & the switches below did not move at all with the conversion.
Minor trimming inside the dash to make room for the taller radio is all that was required.

I recently bought a 2004 Rubicon TJ (my dream car) and made a video about it. One of the first things I did was to upgrade the head unit and speakers. The video link below will start at the head unit and speaker install section.

was that mic part of the sony head unit or an add-on?