How to install a subwoofer amp under steering column

Kedzie

This is how I installed my Kicker amp under the steering column of my 2005 Wrangler X. I used an 8 gauge wiring kit and a 2-ohm DVC Kicker sub wired in parallel for 1 ohm for 400 RMS into the sub.

I created a mount using a cutting board. I trimmed it to size and drilled the mounting holes for the amp. I also drilled a hole in the center of the cutting board to mount it to an existing hole in the steering column.

20200109_163047_2.jpg

I then screwed in the amp onto the cutting board using little nylon spacers so it would clear the bolt.

20200109_185700_2.jpg

I zip-tied the long RCA cables, which I couldn't cut directly to length, to the steering column.

20200109_185635_2.jpg

I mounted the fuse onto an existing bracket right next to the battery. I found a #8 bolt fits perfectly into the existing bracket.

20200109_194123_2.jpg

To go through the firewall I used an existing hole normally used for the automatic transmission. I have a manual so it is just a plugged up hole in the firewall. I drilled a hole in the plug for the cable. A replacement part can be bought for about $8; part #2424864.

20200109_194110_2.jpg

Here is the same plug (now a grommet) from the inside.

20200109_163103_2.jpg

And that's it! The amp is grounded to an existing bolt on the right side of the driver's side floorboard; next to the center console. Here is a YouTube video:

Oh man that cutting board idea is soooo much better than the monkey rigging I did. I used 2 flat strap aluminum strips and mounted them to the firewall and then to the metal of the dash the same as where the interior light mounts.

I have been catching up on posts here because My sister wrecked my 01 wrangler and I am currently taking every thing out of it and planning for the next build. I was not looking forward to remounting the amp but this way will be sooo much better. Thanks for the post you have a bunch of good ones. I did the sound deadening you wrote up on my old wrangler and other than being a little time consuming I think that was almost as big of an upgrade to my audio system as the amp and speakers were.

Oh man that cutting board idea is soooo much better than the monkey rigging I did. I used 2 flat strap aluminum strips and mounted them to the firewall and then to the metal of the dash the same as where the interior light mounts.

I have been catching up on posts here because My sister wrecked my 01 wrangler and I am currently taking every thing out of it and planning for the next build. I was not looking forward to remounting the amp but this way will be sooo much better. Thanks for the post you have a bunch of good ones. I did the sound deadening you wrote up on my old wrangler and other than being a little time consuming I think that was almost as big of an upgrade to my audio system as the amp and speakers were.

Yes the sound deadening work was SOO worth it! Just finished tonight and no more vibration.

whats up guys, doing something similar to my jeep and i had a few questions.
1. Can you still tilt your steering wheel up and down? some pics look like its over the vent hose.
2. i'm struggling to find what exactly you are bolting to. My 99 doesn't seem to have anything in this location. I was going to use some butterfly bolts to hold it up, but then i can't screw my amp to the board because there's not enough room to fit a screwdriver and my amp covers the bolts when screwed to the board. :(

whats up guys, doing something similar to my jeep and i had a few questions.
1. Can you still tilt your steering wheel up and down? some pics look like its over the vent hose.
2. i'm struggling to find what exactly you are bolting to. My 99 doesn't seem to have anything in this location. I was going to use some butterfly bolts to hold it up, but then i can't screw my amp to the board because there's not enough room to fit a screwdriver and my amp covers the bolts when screwed to the board. :(
I still have full use of tilt function
There are two threaded shafts that use a nut to hold the steering column supports, one on each side. That's what I utilized to bolt my rack to. It was a bit of a juggle to get it in place and the get the amp bolted to the rack, but I eventually got it

I still have full use of tilt function
There are two threaded shafts that use a nut to hold the steering column supports, one on each side. That's what I utilized to bolt my rack to. It was a bit of a juggle to get it in place and the get the amp bolted to the rack, but I eventually got it

Hmm ok maybe i will re assess. was trying to do it with a piece of MDF and some butterfly bolts....

1eNLXPkdS0avNtQddP9oQw.jpg

Q5tgSE7XQ16iduatlQBODA.jpg

me9+pkFzR1WmdbaIaeHXgA.jpg

I got my inspiration from the cutting board mount. I took a piece of 1/4" aluminum mounted a couple angle clips to engage the two bolts on the side of the column. drilled and tapped the plate for the Alpine PDX-F6 amp mounting screws.

20180112_181330.jpg20180112_181341.jpg20180112_181412.jpg20180126_170708.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 112dB
I got my inspiration from the cutting board mount. I took a piece of 1/4" aluminum mounted a couple angle clips to engage the two bolts on the side of the column. drilleed and tapped the plate for the Alpine PDX-F6 amp mounting screws.

View attachment 157524View attachment 157525View attachment 157526View attachment 157527

Make me one? lol What are your amp dimensions? I'm squeezing something 7.5"x10"... i think that may be why i'm having issues.... I can't mount the amp cause i can't get a screwdriver to the screws that are closest to the seat. The screwdriver hits the vent tube... Still trying to make it work.

Check out my sub box i'm building out of my center console.

zvkKTg6pTNCTnXuSCqTeGA.jpg

q3%fahMtSemGxFZBS5ZAIw.jpg

Reactions: Akitadog
I made my amp rack with a cutting board from Dollar Tree and brackets from Home Depot for less than $5. I mounted the amp on top of it at apposed to below it

.20200111_100511.jpg

Make me one? lol What are your amp dimensions? I'm squeezing something 7.5"x10"... i think that may be why i'm having issues.... I can't mount the amp cause i can't get a screwdriver to the screws that are closest to the seat. The screwdriver hits the vent tube... Still trying to make it work.

Check out my sub box i'm building out of my center console.

View attachment 157545

View attachment 157546

Ah yes, to gain a bit more room I used a heat gun and heated the vent tube in the two side corners to get a bit more room. The amp dimensions are 10-1/8"W x 2"H x 8-9/16"D . Oh, also trimmed the curved metal pieces hanging below the column.

Ah yes, to gain a bit more room I used a heat gun and heated the vent tube in the two side corners to get a bit more room. The amp dimensions are 10-1/8"W x 2"H x 8-9/16"D . Oh, also trimmed the curved metal pieces hanging below the column.

ahhhhhhhhh smart thinking! Maybe i'll try this in the next few days

Reactions: Akitadog
Any updates?

Unfortunately the honey do list doesn't have much jeep stuff on it haha. Had to scrap my piece of MDF cause it was too thick, i'm working with a piece of bamboo cutting board, i drilled out my holes on the L brackets and i'm gonna try and heat up the vent tubing tomorrow, hopefully i can get it together. its already lookin tight, and I'm scared of popping a hole in the vent tube though...

And of course Im making it more difficult on myself because i want the fade and gain controls accessible. I don't want to install it and not be able to tweak the sound on it. therefore the amp will come further into the vent tube.

I made my amp rack with a cutting board from Dollar Tree and brackets from Home Depot for less than $5. I mounted the amp on top of it at apposed to below it

.View attachment 157554

This is a great way to install, and I did it similar to you but I splurged and spent $9 on a picture hanging kit with brackets, and I used the wire rope as a fail-safe to the brackets. My board was a 7" wide so it fit lower/closer to that air vent and then put velcro tape on the air vent to connect to the board?

I couldn't be happier with this method.

Great video by @Kedzie