How-to install adjustable control arms on a Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ

TJDave

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've noticed lately on a few of the forums im on, that alot of guys don't know how to properly set up fully adjustable arms. Everyone asks "how long...", or "they didn't give a measurement." That's because the measurement is Jeep specific. Every one is different. Also don't focus on how long the arms are. I see Imped always saying, "arm length is a byproduct", and guys get mad at his vague answer, because he never told them the magic measurement. Well, there isn't one. Any of you more experienced guys (Imped, Jerry, Unlimited04), feel free to add anything that I missed. Im not covering axle centering, or how to set bump stops, im covering control arm setup.

Before I start, im going to state that I am in no way responsible for stupidity, lack of judgment, or you not following directions. Use your fawking head when doing this. Don't go remove all but one arm with the rig on its own weight, you will break your shit and die. Don't try to do all of this with a Hi-Lift, or some other bs jack. Use a good floor jack or decent bottle jack(or both). Now that we have that out of the way lets talk about tools. You need whatever tools it takes to remove your springs and arms, jack(s), and at least 2 jack stands. Possibly a coil compressor.

Besides tools to remove the coils and arms you need:
  1. Angle finder (this is the one I recommend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WQLHG2G/?tag=wranglerorg-20)
  2. Measuring tape. I'll let you know when to put it away, so you don't get confused
  3. A good heavy duty ratchet strap, or come-a-long.
So we will assume, that your bunpstops are already at the correct length, and your track bar is centered(if it's adjustable). To make things simple, you already know what your caster and rear pinion needs to be. I'll start with the front.

Front Control Arms
Jack your rig up, and put the jackstands whever you usually like to put them, and then remove the tires/wheels. Pull the springs, and set them aside. I don't know what lift you have or anything, but it doesn't matter. Also you will think some of these steps aren't necessary, and can be skipped. Don't be lazy. Now take your front lowers and adjust them to a starting measurement. 16" eye to eye is a good staring point. You can just snug the jam nuts, don't fully tighten them. Now set the new uppers to a good starting point. Anywhere between stock length and 1/4" longer. Ok now go put your tape measure away so you don't screw up.

Now your jack should be under your axle, since you just removed your springs. Jack both sides of the axle up until you are at full bump. If you are using factory jounce bumpers, pull them out, they fully compress into the cup anyways. At full bump, you want your bumpstop to be centered on the lower bumpstop pad. If you need to adjust your bumps, now would be the time to do it before you start. There's alot of ways to adjust your arms, I like to remove the uppers and let the jack keep the axle from rotating. Whatever works best for you. If you opted to keep the uppers on, that's fine. Adjust the control arm(s) on both sides to get the bump centered at full bump. If you left your uppers on, extend/shorten them by the same amount that you did to the lower on that side. You don't need to measure. If you did the lower 6 turns to make it longer, turn the upper 6 turns. When you have both sides adjusted, and your bumps are centered, put your coils back in, and reinstall everything you removed to do so. Leave the arms somewhat loose. You want them snug enough so they don't move around. Now put your tires back on, and set the rig on its own weight. This is not your final arm length, so dont go adjusting them to the same length. We will come back to that.

Now we rougly set our uppers. Put your floor jack under the front diff, and take some tension off of the uppers. I like to place my jackstands under the frame as a backup plan. They don't have to be touching the frame, just in place incase your jack fails/slips, and your springs happen to come out. Remove both front uppers. If you placed the jack in the right spot under the pinion, it will keep the axle from rotating. Now we need to set our caster angle.

I had my alignment done, and got a printout, which included caster. I did this before I even messed with adjustable arms. Now you have an error proof guideline. Find a spot on the axle to put your angle finder for caster. I use the flat part on the bottom of the axle "C". I recorded the number my angle finder read, and compared it to the printout. The difference between the numbers was my equalizer. Example: alignment shop spec sheet said my caster was 3*. My angle finder, placed at the bottom of the "C" showed 4.5*. Say I want my caster at 5.5*. My angle finder needs to read 7.75* for me to get an alignment shop worthy 5.5* of caster. I recorded that my angle was 1.5* more than the actual caster angle. Now I know how to compensate.

Ok, you have both uppers removed, and your jack under the pinion. Measure for caster and raise/lower the jack until you get the caster you want. Keep in mind the pinion angle is related, so make sure that won't cause your problems. Its a trade off between caster/pinion angle. If you have an hp front axle, you don't have to worry. If you can't get your desires caster without vibes, back off the caster some. That's really only a problem if you are 4"+, or at least 3" with a tt. Take one upper and adjust it so the bolts easily slide in. You don't want any force on the bolts at this time. Now snug the bolts. The next step is a debate, some say to leave the jack under the pinion to relieve pressure, others say lower it. At this point, I just lower it. Now adjust your other upper so the bolts easily slide in. YOUR ARMS SHOULD NOT BE SET TO THE SAME LENGTH. If it happens that way, then it's fine. If you just install the first upper, then set the other the same length and force it in, you are wasting your time reading this.

Now we want to square the axle. There is alot of debate about measuring point differences, and the placement differences from the factory. I tried to make up for that by taking 2 measurements per side. I usually measure from the axle tube, right beside the "C", to the front of the body mount

4Jr2nS8.jpg

t23WmEa.jpg

I'll also measure from the axle tube in the same spot as the 1st measurement, back to the front of the skid. I do this on both sides and compare the numbers. It's best to write them down. I'll look at my first measurements I took. Say the drivers side is 1/2" farther forward. But the 2nd measurement says it's 1/8" too far forward. I'll call it a difference in the assembly line, and adjust 1/4". The likeliness of that big of a difference isn't very big. That was just an example.

So now that I have my measurements to square the front axle, I'll have to decide weather I want to lengthen the short side, shorten the long side, or a little bit of both. It really just depends how how drunk you were by the time you started centering the bumps in the lower pad. If there's a big enough difference I'll split the two. For example, I ended up with 1/2" difference, but Im really unsure of the axles being square with fixes arms, I'll lengthen one by 1/4", and shorten the other the same amount. If you took your time while at full bump, you should be pretty damn close. Remove one lower at a time and adjust the amount each needs. Its a good idea to count the number of turns it takes, so you can duplicate the upper the same amount. You might have to force the axle forwards or backwards to get the lowers back in. This is the only time that should happen. The reason is, your axle wasn't square, but you adjusted so it would be, so no you have to get it to line up. I usually set a chock in front of or behind the tire, and start the jeep and drive forwards or backwards. The chock will let the jeep push or pull that side of the axle. It can also be done with a come-a-long or heavy duty ratchet strap. Another way, is to use your jack. If you lengthened one side, place the jack under the axle side track bar bracket and jack up. It will rotate the axle enough to slip your bolts in. If you also shortened the other side raise the pinion with the jack. Now your squared up. Tighten the lowers, and tighten the jam nut. You can record each arm length and position to have as a record.

This next part is also debatable. Some like counting turns and adjusting the uppers the same way. This way is alot easier and its foolproof. Place your jack under the pinion, and remove both uppers. Check your caster and see if it changed. If it did(which wouldn't be much unless your lowers were originally way off) re set it. Take your first upper and adjust it so the bolts slide in easily. Tighten the bolts and jam nut. Do the same with the other side. This time, leave the jack under the pinion. Easily slide your bolts in, tighten, then lower your jack. Now measure one last time to make sure the axle is square to the frame. If everything looks good, go back and torque everything to proper specs.

To do the back is the same process. Start with lowers 16-16.25" eye to eye, uppers 1/4" longer then stock. Remove the tires/wheels and pull the coils. If you have the factory jounce bumper, remove it and jack to full bump. Depending on your rear coils, you may have had to loosen the rear track bar for enough droop. If so, loosely reinstall. Now adjust your lowers to center the bumpstop at full bump. Also pay attention to diff clearance, and track bar to gas tank skid clearance. Put the springs back in, and put the wheels/tires back on. Now put the jack under the pinion, and remove the uppers. Set you pinion angle with the jack, then adjust the uppers so the bolts slide in. Tighten until they are snug, lower the jack. Now measure your rear axle squareness. I like to measure just to the inside(diff side) of the axle tube beside the lca mounts. Find a place that is the exact same on both sides. I usually go from the back of the skid, to the axle tube. As a 2nd measurement, ill measure from the front axle tube, to the rear axle tube(now that your front axle is square). Then you can lengthen one lower, and shorten the other to square the axle. Once you do that, put your jack under the pinion, and remove the uppers. Re-check your pinion angle and adjust if necessary. Now adjust both rear uppers so the bolts easily slide in. Once both are in, remove the jack. Check rear axle squareness one last time. If everything is good go through and torque all your bolts, and tighten the jam nuts.

I will mention, before you square the rear axle, step back and check to seen if the tire is centered in the rear wheel well. It should be, since you centered at full bump. Remember, there isn't much adjustment back there, so if you decide to move it back more, watch for track bar to gas tank skid clearance at full bump.

Congrats, this was a long read, but now you have a step by step to setting up fully adjustable arms properly. Everything is square, and you don't even know how long each arm is. Why? Because it don't matter, your shit is square.

If anyone has anything to add, or knows any shortcuts, feel free to add.

Maybe this will keep guys from being butt hurt when someone tells them, "control arm length is a byproduct", or when they are pissed because they spent $2800, and Savvy can't even give them the measurements.

I forgot to mention. If you try to make both sides of your arms the same length, you are doing 2 big things.
  1. More then likely having an axle that isn't square to the frame. It will effect tire wear and drivability.
  2. Causing preload on your uppers, and they are constantly fighting each other. This will make it drive like shit, and wear everything out. It will never perform like designed, especially offroad.
Control arm length is what it is, and it doesn't matter. What matters are that your arms aren't fighting each other, aren't binding during travel, your bumps are centered, and both of your axles are squared to your rig

Setting one, lowering the jack (loading the arm) then installing the other equals unequal loads on the arms, exactly what you're trying to avoid.

Keep the jack under the pinion, float the forks over the bushings, and adjust so that you can slide both bolts through. Torque it all down then release the jack.

Equal load is what matters. The length will be what it will be. The difference in length will be what it will be.

In summary, here's what matters:
  1. Axle laterally centered at ride height

2. Upper and lower bump stops fore-aft concentric at full bump (will not be laterally concentric due to the axle's swing through the arc of the track bar)

3. Pinion angle (rear) and pinion angle/caster (front) correct at ride height. A couple of notes:

- LP30's have 12 degrees of separation between the caster and pinion axes. HP30's have 9 degrees of separation between the same axes.

- The flat round spots on either side of the diff cover are perpendicular to the pinion center line.
    - Knowing the above information, one can accurately and quickly determine the caster angle.

4. Axles square to each other

- I generally set one axle at a time square with the frame using the middle transfer case skid nutsert as the reference point. Remember, a square axle won't necessarily have equal-length upper or lower pairs of control arms due to the small variances in the factory bracket locations and dimensions. Length is a byproduct, don't worry about it.

- As a final check, I cross-measure (front passenger to rear driver and vice versa) from consistent points on the front axle to the rear axle. A second set of hands makes this much easier. If the measurements are within 1/8" I'm happy. This is simply verifying that the frame isn't tweaked. If it is, setting each axle square to the frame won't usually result in the housings being square to each other.
This isn't a quick process. It takes cycling from full bump to ride height (don't forget to articulate the axles and turn full driver and passenger) and small adjustments here and there, especially if you want to set the axles as far apart as possible without any interference from the constraints. Lastly, no I don't use an alignment shop. I'm confident enough in my abilities to use a tape measure and angle finder that I trust what I see. I've never had one issue with this process and I've used it on many Jeeps.

Im a little confused, you pull the springs off and leave them off during set of front control arms? Well doesnt lift height play into adjusting the control arms? Differnent heights would yield differant adjustments?

Im a little confused, you pull the springs off and leave them off during set of front control arms? Well doesnt lift height play into adjusting the control arms? Differnent heights would yield differant adjustments?
No, not really. You're adjusting the arms based on the position of the bump stops and the pinion angles, with caster also being a consideration up front. The springs and chassis height have nothing to do with that

That makes no sense to me. Pinion and caster change as vehicle is lifted. Correct? So caster and pinion axles would have to be adjusted after springs are re-installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes no sense to me. Pinion and caster change as vehicle is lifted. Correct? So caster and pinion axles would have to be adjusted after springs are re-installed?

You do need to adjust the pinion angle in relationship to the drive shaft angle, otherwise pinion angle doesn't change when you lift the suspension unless you change it by adjusting the arms.

I’m going to back up. I’m wanting to address the issue of bump stops not centered in coil spring, and new tires are rub a little when turning.
b36fb845744c1cd3f1d3d2d08890f423.jpg

Thanks for trying to help, but my issue has nothing to do with steering stops. Tires are rubbing my rock sliders.
I’m going to run my front axle housing forward to resolve issue

This is a pretty good video on how to get your baseline for Track Bar and Control Arms set. It compliments this instructional really well and helps with understanding for anyone unfamiliar with alignment after the lift.control arm install.

Part 1-
Part 2-
Part 3-

Reactions: limitz and cpwolf
This is a pretty good video on how to get your baseline for Track Bar and Control Arms set. It compliments this instructional really well and helps with understanding for anyone unfamiliar with alignment after the lift.control arm install.

Part 1-
Part 2-
Part 3-
The make that look SO easy...I think the key is the sliding front wheels...I might grab my tire dollys and see how that works.

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
The make that look SO easy...I think the key is the sliding front wheels...I might grab my tire dollys and see how that works.

Yeah, I chuckled as well but it definitely helps clarify for anyone that isn’t sure.

Yeah, I chuckled as well but it definitely helps clarify for anyone that isn’t sure.

I know I worked pretty hard getting mine all in and aligned. To be fair, I don't have double adjustable lowers, but still...I needed ratchet straps and a fair amount of force.

I know I worked pretty hard getting mine all in and aligned. To be fair, I don't have double adjustable lowers, but still...I needed ratchet straps and a fair amount of force.

That’s two of us, ratchet straps definitely weren’t as simple as “shake the rig and it settles in the center” in the video. It does help with understanding, that and the instructions above make it work.

I purchased all set of 8 control arms for my 01 tj. My question is would I need to replace the cam alignment bolts on front and rear or I can just use regular zinc platted bolts?

I purchased all set of 8 control arms for my 01 tj. My question is would I need to replace the cam alignment bolts on front and rear or I can just use regular zinc platted bolts?
Assuming you went adjustable you can keep the cam bolts or get some Black Magic washers and use new bolts.

Adjustable control arms?
Yes all 8 are adjustable, unfortunately I dont know if I have to use cam alignment bolts for all control arms or which control arm uses them?