How to install an aftermarket subwoofer and amp in your Jeep Wrangler TJ

@r3d great posts all around. Currently I have two amps driving my system, the below Kenwood 4-channel for the four main speakers ( six speakers in my case as I have a passive crossover currently inside my overhead speaker pod driving 2 speakers per pod), and an arc audio 125.2 that is driving the center console sub.

I have been debating between 32" or 33" tires but said screw it, keeping 30" for now and doing another audio alteration. I am retiring the kenwood amp for a 5-channel amp with built in 7-channel dsp. I intend to go fully active and add tweeter pods to the A pillar to get the sound on axis and punching me in the face.

Do you have any experience with boom mat? I am debating stuffing the overhead speaker pods with polyfill or using a boom mat housing.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=352101253964

Reactions: r3d
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Where are you guys mounting your amps? Is under the front seats an option? I've seen a couple of instals with amps on the floor behind the seat, but I have kids that will be running around back there and they are notorious for destroying things.

I'm looking at a number of different options - the new Alpine R-Series 4 channel and their monoblock power pack are what I'm leaning toward, but I also like the Class D fan cooled Rockford Power series. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Where are you guys mounting your amps? Is under the front seats an option? I've seen a couple of instals with amps on the floor behind the seat, but I have kids that will be running around back there and they are notorious for destroying things.

I'm looking at a number of different options - the new Alpine R-Series 4 channel and their monoblock power pack are what I'm leaning toward, but I also like the Class D fan cooled Rockford Power series. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Lots of people place amplifiers behind the steering column. I currently have two amplifiers occupying that space.

Here is a picture, not mine, but as reference. The site is not letting me upload photos so here is a link that has the photo.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/5-channel-amp-mounting-locations.14726/
Also, if you are looking at spending that much on amplifier, what kind of speakers are you installing? What is your build.

If you like audio, and are good with computers/programming, I would highly looking at Audiotec Fischers Match M 5DSP. 5 channel amp with 7 channel DSP, and one of the smallest amps I have come across: 1.34" x 3.35" x 4.33"

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/amplifiers/m-5dsp
Not many places sell this amplifier, this place does and is also the best priced. No affiliation, but have bought many audio components through him.

https://unexpectedcreations.com

Lots of people place amplifiers behind the steering column. I currently have two amplifiers occupying that space.

Here is a picture, not mine, but as reference. The site is not letting me upload photos so here is a link that has the photo.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/5-channel-amp-mounting-locations.14726/
Also, if you are looking at spending that much on amplifier, what kind of speakers are you installing? What is your build.

If you like audio, and are good with computers/programming, I would highly looking at Audiotec Fischers Match M 5DSP. 5 channel amp with 7 channel DSP, and one of the smallest amps I have come across: 1.34" x 3.35" x 4.33"

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/amplifiers/m-5dsp
Not many places sell this amplifier, this place does and is also the best priced. No affiliation, but have bought many audio components through him.

https://unexpectedcreations.com

Thanks for the tip. I lost a few hours last night reading threads on the steering wheel location. Sounds like a plan.

I used to install stereos professionally a long time ago and have competed in sound quality competitions. I’ve used Alpine Rockford MB Quart and JBL in the past. Currently I have an Alpine mech less 1-din receiver, and Alpine R-Series 5.25 coax for the sound bar and Alpine R-Series 5.25 components for the dash. I have dash pods and mounts for the tweeters. A kicker 6.75 sub will be in the center console. I plan to upgrade the sub at some point in the future probably a custom fiberglass enclosure under a seat or elsewhere. I’ve got an unused Rockford punch series shallow 10 that may be used.

It’s a Jeep. I am looking for loud over SQ this time. The R- series fit into the dash pods (I was going to go with Morel coax but they were too deep). Plus my bonus system at work uses a gift card system rather than cash awards and crutchfield is an option.

The head unit has a decent amount of tuning - not quite a pioneer p-99 but good enough. I have the same unit with the cd transport in my car. Same interface and button layout works for me.

I’m not too familiar with the German stuff but have seen a lot of happy people with their Helix, etc brands. I’ll definitely check it out.

I’d like to go with a 5-channel for simplicity but a 4 channel and a mono amp combo may work better. I had been thinking about mounting something behind the glove box when I found the under steering wheel option. I saw one guy who shoe horned an Alpine PDX-V9 in there. I like the new Alpine x-series amps but the 5-ch may not fit. The R-series Amps are neat but no 5-channel and the controls are on the wrong side of the amp for the steering wheel mount location. Retaining access to the controls and proper orientation are also key. The Rockford can be mounted inverted according to the manual. I was taught to never ever mount an amp upside down - 20 years ago. Things may have changed a lot since then but the laws of physics are still the same, for the most part :).

I'm in Florida but will be about 5 miles from unexpected creations on Monday as I'm up there for work. I may need to drop in and check things out. Thanks again for the tip.

This amp looks like a heck of a deal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078G38YY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

200w at .5 ohm 100w at 1ohm should be plenty to run a <8" sub. My jeep could really use an audio upgrade, I've just got so many other irons in the fire it has been neglected.

I have the Kicker 42PXA2001 amp. which appears to be the same, maybe a bit newer, powering a Kicker CompRT 43CWRT672 sub woofer wired for 200w @ .5 ohm. It sounds great.

Hi everyone! I am really sorry for not posting for a year, but I was really busy and had no time for my TJ, but I hope its going to change this summer.

Enough offtopic, I am planning to finally install my front speakers and install a 4-channel amp for the soundbar and front speaker during the current month.
I will remove the factory dashboard speakers, make a speaker mount from a steel sheet to house my JBL 4x6'' 2-ways and hide an 4x50W RMS amplifier somewhere.
Also I am having problems with the Herz speakers I installed in my soundbar as they are not designed for upside-down mounting and the wire that connects the high frequency speaker is touching the tweeter mount resulting in terrible buzzing noise. When I remove the speaker and bend the wire a bit its ok for 2-3 days and it happens again.
Maybe I will be able to fix it using soldering iron and some improvising but my chance of success is around 30% I think.
I will post a guide when I do it, if it fails the speakers will be replaced.
Also, my subwoofer is supposed to have auto-off function that enables it to turn on when it senses the signal on the input, but it doesn't really work because my battery is drained flat in around 3-4 days. My current solution is to disconnect the fuse everytime I park the Jeep for a few days, but thats not really reliable. I am planning to make a switch for the power-on line (blue wire) somewhere beneath my dashboard not to ruin the factory look, or if I collect my nerves I will use the lights switch and connect it to the amps power-on-wire. If I leave the lights on the amp would be the least of my problems. I had to pull the reminder buzzer (and cabin light) fuse because most of the summer I drive with the doors off which results in cabin light staying on. I think the buzzer should have been designed with a separate fuse, but that would be hard to fix so I will stick with the stuff I can fix.

Here is a picture of the best 4x6's that I was able to find on Amazon and they are not that great but I am not looking for dB drag and sound quality contest results, only for something I feel comfortable listening to daily and doesn't cost a fortune. I think I paid like 70$ for the pair.
IMG_4192.JPG

I also did a ton of other work on my TJ, but I will start a new thread for that including before&after pictures and explaining what I did and why.

Hi everyone! I am really sorry for not posting for a year, but I was really busy and had no time for my TJ, but I hope its going to change this summer.

Enough offtopic, I am planning to finally install my front speakers and install a 4-channel amp for the soundbar and front speaker during the current month.
I will remove the factory dashboard speakers, make a speaker mount from a steel sheet to house my JBL 4x6'' 2-ways and hide an 4x50W RMS amplifier somewhere.
Also I am having problems with the Herz speakers I installed in my soundbar as they are not designed for upside-down mounting and the wire that connects the high frequency speaker is touching the tweeter mount resulting in terrible buzzing noise. When I remove the speaker and bend the wire a bit its ok for 2-3 days and it happens again.
Maybe I will be able to fix it using soldering iron and some improvising but my chance of success is around 30% I think.
I will post a guide when I do it, if it fails the speakers will be replaced.
Also, my subwoofer is supposed to have auto-off function that enables it to turn on when it senses the signal on the input, but it doesn't really work because my battery is drained flat in around 3-4 days. My current solution is to disconnect the fuse everytime I park the Jeep for a few days, but thats not really reliable. I am planning to make a switch for the power-on line (blue wire) somewhere beneath my dashboard not to ruin the factory look, or if I collect my nerves I will use the lights switch and connect it to the amps power-on-wire. If I leave the lights on the amp would be the least of my problems. I had to pull the reminder buzzer (and cabin light) fuse because most of the summer I drive with the doors off which results in cabin light staying on. I think the buzzer should have been designed with a separate fuse, but that would be hard to fix so I will stick with the stuff I can fix.

Here is a picture of the best 4x6's that I was able to find on Amazon and they are not that great but I am not looking for dB drag and sound quality contest results, only for something I feel comfortable listening to daily and doesn't cost a fortune. I think I paid like 70$ for the pair.
View attachment 99707

I also did a ton of other work on my TJ, but I will start a new thread for that including before&after pictures and explaining what I did and why.
Thank you for your write ups r3d. I was going to wait, until I finish my complete sound system replacement, but I thought I would add my 2 pennies to your tips/ suggestions. So I have replaced the front speakers on my 2000 TJ, I went with 5 1/2" instead of the 6"x9" and yesterday I finished installing 6 1/2" on my soundbar, I decided to build a custom box, to house the two separate amps for the front/soundbar speakers and subs in the back, new head unit will be next and then a sound check. I can provide some picks if anyone wants to see what I've done. I replaced my complete sound system in my Cherokee 2 years ago, that was an experience, and challenging, but putting the soundbar speakers in my TJ, has really tested my creativity, the old saying, "where there's a will, there's a way. Keep up the good work sir !!!