How to install an auxiliary backup light on the stock light housing

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I've been looking for a clean way to add an auxiliary backup light. Putting one on the rear bumper is out of the question, given the number of times I drag it, or clip rocks. After looking at alternate locations, I started wondering if the stock driver side taillight housing would work? It's flat, up out of the way, and provides direct access to tap into the backup light wire, without having to drill into the tub and run longer wiring.

AIvK8Zj.jpg

I happened to have an extra broken taillight, so I pulled the cover and was pleasantly surprised that not only could it work, but there was already a metal bracket on the inside that would serve as a mounting point and reinforcement plate. I removed the top bulb, middle divider plate, and went to work doing a mock up.

ST57HhO.jpg

I marked two holes on the top, one for the mounting bracket and one for the wire.

KHPuod9.jpg

OmjUi7G.jpg

I mounted the light and fed the wire through the housing.

cnemJZ7.jpg

The light and divider were reinstalled, with the LED light wire fitting perfectly under the slots in the divider.

rw9kT2Y.jpg

xNxRj8x.jpg

Next step will be to splice into the factory purple wire, solder and heat-shrink the new power wire, then run the ground wire.

GOzFp4l.jpg

Once I get the working mock up, I'll install and test it. I'm holding off on repeating the process on the good housing, until I see if I like the location and light spread.

goBqMjx.jpg

FWIW, since I already have a set of 4.5" round 27W LEDs, I'm using those to experiment with. There is a brighter 140W option, below, but I didn't want to go that bright.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V52K41R/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I had some small rectangle ones mounted on my CJ8 in that same location. Worked great, and there weren't really any other good options.

Here's what I have (for now) on my LJ. They fit because of the 1" BL.

bumper3.jpg

I've been looking for a clean way to add an auxiliary backup light. Putting one on the rear bumper is out of the question, given the number of times I drag it, or clip rocks. After looking at alternate locations, I started wondering if the stock driver side taillight housing would work? It's flat, up out of the way, and provides direct access to tap into the backup light wire, without having to drill into the tub and run longer wiring.

View attachment 200309

I happened to have an extra broken taillight, so I pulled the cover and was pleasantly surprised that not only could it work, but there was already a metal bracket on the inside that would serve as a mounting point and reinforcement plate. I removed the top bulb, middle divider plate, and went to work doing a mock up.

View attachment 200310

I marked two holes on the top, one for the mounting bracket and one for the wire.

View attachment 200311
View attachment 200312

I mounted the light and fed the wire through the housing.

View attachment 200313

The light and divider were reinstalled, with the LED light wire fitting perfectly under the slots in the divider.

View attachment 200314
View attachment 200315

Next step will be to splice into the factory purple wire, solder and heat-shrink the new power wire, then run the ground wire.

View attachment 200316

Once I get the working mock up, I'll install and test it. I'm holding off on repeating the process on the good housing, until I see if I like the location and light spread.

View attachment 200317

FWIW, since I already have a set of 4.5" round 27W LEDs, I'm using those to experiment with. There is a brighter 140W option, below, but I didn't want to go that bright.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V52K41R/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That is a clean install. Do you have photos of the finished mount and light?

Does your remote key fob now show error? I turned back stop lights into philips led eventhough box says no error , key fob shows error.

That is a clean install. Do you have photos of the finished mount and light?
I didn't have time to finish it yesterday. I'm hoping to have time over the next day or two to finish the wiring and test mount it. I'll definitely post pictures when I do.

I had time this evening to splice into the purple wire and test fit the mount. I do plan to check this in the dark and see just how much of an improvement one auxiliary backup light is. Mounting one on the opposite side will be trickier, given the tailgate hinge may hit it. I'll take a look at that one this weekend and see if it's possible.

On the plus side, the mount location is very sturdy, up out of the way, and all the wiring is inside the housing. FWIW, this is just the mock up, which I'll switch out once I make a determination about running this 27W LED, or upgrading to the 140W version.

gj75tTW.jpg

napQADx.jpg

Reactions: oldtimer
I had time this evening to splice into the purple wire and test fit the mount. I do plan to check this in the dark and see just how much of an improvement one auxiliary backup light is. Mounting one on the opposite side will be trickier, given the tailgate hinge may hit it. I'll take a look at that one this weekend and see if it's possible.

On the plus side, the mount location is very sturdy, up out of the way, and all the wiring is inside the housing. FWIW, this is just the mock up, which I'll switch out once I make a determination about running this 27W LED, or upgrading to the 140W version.

View attachment 200616

View attachment 200617
I did the same on my kid's w/ some lo-pros I had laying around. Just tied his into the reverse lights.
I think you'll be happy w/ the light output unless you're rock jumping in reverse :LOL:

Reactions: TJ Starting
The original mock up was a success, so here's the finished version

Removed interior parts
XNFJxQa.jpg

Drilled holes for the bracket and wires, and siliconed the holes to prevent leaks. Then spliced into the purple back up light wire and added a ground wire.
cWpoE4A.jpg

Install lights and mounted to Jeep
IZ8OiMC.jpg

Installed the lens cover and tested
ySQTIhL.jpg

9AVGZWT.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy. Now I have an auxiliary back up light that:
- is up out of the way and sturdy
- is a very clean install (no wires to run anywhere outside of the stock housing)
- was inexpensive and
- adds considerably more light than the stock lights

I think that's really cool you can get those plates in Virginia, I never knew!

Reactions: Irun
It looks good, my only concern is water intrusion, here in Florida we average more rain per month than a lot of areas per year. I would have gone with a "L" bracket mounted behind the light.

It looks good, my only concern is water intrusion, here in Florida we average more rain per month than a lot of areas per year. I would have gone with a "L" bracket mounted behind the light.
I would have zero concerns about water intrusion. The housings aren't waterproof to begin with, just water resistant. For the two holes I drilled, both were an interference fit and covered with Black RTV.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Where did you get the LED bulbs for the original Tail lights? Can you just use an LED bulb or are other components required?
Love the add on!

Cheap enough. Any idea of how much RFI they emit?
I don't have an analyzer, so I'd have no way to know. FWIW, I haven't noticed any feedback through the stereo. Given the power is only to them when in reverse, I don't see any problem there.

Reactions: Zorba