How to install factory cruise control in your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Is anyone aware of possible cpu incompatibility? I have verified the wiring is there, both in the steering wheel and under the hood. I trust the experience of others here and elsewhere, especially pertaining to late model TJs with the proper harness, and believe it will work as planned. I am only asking because the fellow that I am buying the parts from mentioned the possibility of cpu issues. Thanks!

'06 Sport
The PCMs are all setup for cruise. If you already have the wiring in place, just add the switches and servo and you’re set.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing a wiring harness? I have an '01 and just confirmed today mine is not pre-wired (which I sort of expected). I can find most of the other parts but the wiring harness is impossible to track down.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing a wiring harness? I have an '01 and just confirmed today mine is not pre-wired (which I sort of expected). I can find most of the other parts but the wiring harness is impossible to track down.

I ended up extracting the parts needed from a donor engine harness myself. I got the whole harness for $40, so it was worth it to extract the pieces I needed.

Glad I came across this, I swear my CC worked when I first got the Jeep but doesn’t seem to turn on anymore at any speed. This ought to at least help me troubleshoot it knowing where the components are instead of poking around in the dark.
Vacuum line leaking or a blown fuse.

Here's the official installation instructions (PDF) as provided with the Mopar cruise control kit (part number 82209481).

They no longer make the kit, but you may be able to find some leftover new old stock, or you can source out the parts individually from eBay or http://car-part.com.

Most 03-06 models were pre-wired for cruise control (which is covered in these instructions). If yours is, then the install will be as easy as mine is. If yours isn't, you'll need an additional wiring harness for under the hood.

These instructions cover the install in detail, and I have to say that having done it myself on my 2005 Rubicon, it's one of the easiest things I've ever done. Took me maybe 20 minutes tops.

Just wanted to share this so that these instructions aren't lost to the sands of time.
I made a video of the Cruise Control install I did on my 2006. The link for it is:

On my 06 X, 4.0, I didn't have the factory cc harness. Followed Brent's video and made an overlay harness. All hooked up, but no cruise light. I had tapped into the brake switch wires, and realized I didn't remove the VT/Y and VT/Wh from the plug.

With that done, I was able to get the cc light on the dash to go on. Then it went off as quickly as it went on. Did a test drive, hit the switch and the light went on for about 5 seconds then turned off. No cc activation while driving.

Has anybody had this same problem, and what was the solution ? I've searched the site and didn't find anything close.

Thanks
Ray

Reactions: Apparition