How-to install heated seats in your Jeep Wrangler TJ

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I installed some seat heaters in early October 2018. I got the Crimestopper HSK150 Deluxe kit from Amazon. It took me way to long to get these installed; almost 2 years after purchasing them. Thanks to LJ Dave, on another forum, for answering some questions for me a while back about the wiring.

I removed the seats and ran some lag screws through the mounting holes right into one of my workbenches. This worked out great. It was stable, I could slide and tilt the seats back and forth easily. I ended up cutting most of the hog rings and replaced them with new hog rings using a set of hog ring pliers; Super easy. I seen where some didn't cut their heaters to be able to re-Velcro the seat covers back to the foam, but I did. When I bought the kit, I wondered what the strips of silver tape were for. The instructions didn't say. I seen a review on Amazon where a person said they were supposed to go onto the foam then the heaters on top and are suppose to reflect heat back towards your body. I had a hell of a time reconnecting the two clips on the sides of the seat cushions on the first seat. On the second seat I accidently discovered I could just raise the cushion and have easy access to the side clips. As others suggested, I got a step drill bit with 13/16 inch size at Harbor Freight for drilling the holes for the switches.

For the wiring, I followed LJ Dave's lead and cut the left hand accessory plug and tapped it into the right side accessory plug, so now both outlets are hot all the time on a 20 amp fuse in the fuse block. I connected the heaters to the wiring that used to go to the left outlet, which is only powered with the ignition on. It is also on a separate 20 amp fuse in the fuse block. Each seat wiring harness has a 10 amp inline fuse between that connection and the heaters too. All the wiring and relays are tucked under the center console. Doing that and making sure there was enough slack between the seats and where the harnesses come out from under the center console seemed to be the most time consuming part. Switches have a high setting that lights up red and a low setting that lights up green

They work great and feel good on an old tired back. I tested them out in mid October on a week long trip to the Outer Banks of NC. After 2 almost 400 mile trips up there and back, they worked well. My back felt better than the last few trips we've made there in it. My wife really liked it too, she said they made the trips much more bearable. LOL Only ran them on low setting since it wasn't really to cold out. I did start my side out on high to warm it up quicker, but it was plenty hot enough after 2 or 3 minutes. .

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.jpg 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

I plan on doing this very soon. About the only "modern" amenity I really like is heated seats. We have had them in all our modern cars and both my wife and I love them, especially with how cold it can get up here.

Another nice thing is how easy the TJ seats come apart compared to lets say a BMW seat!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yeah, I had never had heated seats in a vehicle. My wife had in some of hers before we were married, We bought a Camaro for her in 2014 and she wanted leather heated seats. After having them, I came to like them. We've both been known to drive around in the middle of summer with the seats on and the A/C blasting on high. LOL It feels good on your back.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, I had never had heated seats in a vehicle. My wife had in some of hers before we were married, We bought a Camaro for her in 2014 and she wanted leather heated seats. After having them, I came to like them. We've both been known to drive around in the middle of summer with the seats on and the A/C blasting on high. LOL It feels good on your back.

I agree! The warmth on your back is very relaxing, that's one of the reasons I like them so much.

One mod I have been wanting to do! My TJ is a daily driver and the stock faux leather on the seats is always freezing in the winter time.

That switch is deep. I like it though.

Doesn’t go to 11...LOL, I love that movie

Reactions: RussTJ
I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but can this be done using any seats? Or does this only work with the stock seats. I plan on getting some bestop trailmax II seats and am considering doing this

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but can this be done using any seats? Or does this only work with the stock seats. I plan on getting some bestop trailmax II seats and am considering doing this

I installed Dorman seat heater kits in the Hyundai Tiburon seats I installed in my LJ. It was a pretty straight forward job and well worth the effort. Like @Chris said above, I'm sure they would work in any seats.

Reactions: D M