How to install heated seats in your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I'm disappointed with the kit I got from Bartact, whatever brand it is. The LED indicator light stopped working after two days, and the heater shuts itself off every 15-20 minutes and must be restarted.

I'm about to add the Dorman kit to my TJ and wondering if there is any need to remove the seat if I'm going to put the pad between my Bartact seat cover and the factory seat cover? Thanks.

Another question about this install. I'm doing both seats. For power, could I splice the red wire from each kit together and then tap those directly into the switched cigarette lighter power wire? Alternatively, can I use two fuse taps on a single fuse (I assume I would use the fuse for the lighter)? Thanks.

Another question about this install. I'm doing both seats. For power, could I splice the red wire from each kit together and then tap those directly into the switched cigarette lighter power wire? Alternatively, can I use two fuse taps on a single fuse (I assume I would use the fuse for the lighter)? Thanks.

What I did was cut the left hand accessory plug and tapped it into the right side accessory plug, so now both outlets are hot all the time on a 20 amp fuse in the fuse block. I connected the heaters to the wiring that used to go to the left outlet, which is only powered with the ignition on. It is also on a separate 20 amp fuse in the fuse block. Each seat wiring harness has a 10 amp inline fuse between that connection and the heaters too. I

What I did was cut the left hand accessory plug and tapped it into the right side accessory plug, so now both outlets are hot all the time on a 20 amp fuse in the fuse block. I connected the heaters to the wiring that used to go to the left outlet, which is only powered with the ignition on. It is also on a separate 20 amp fuse in the fuse block. Each seat wiring harness has a 10 amp inline fuse between that connection and the heaters too. I

I like this. Just to make sure I have it right....cut the power wire (I'll need to confirm the color) to the lighter. Using the power wire still attached to the lighter, tap that into the power wire for the 12V Outlet (need to confirm that wire color too). Then cut the fuse taps off each of the seat heater power wires, splice those together and tap them into the part of the lighter power wire that runs to the fuse block (#18/20 amp). I noted that the heater power wire is a larger gauge than the lighter power wire....is that an issue?

I like this. Just to make sure I have it right....cut the power wire (I'll need to confirm the color) to the lighter. Using the power wire still attached to the lighter, tap that into the power wire for the 12V Outlet (need to confirm that wire color too). Then cut the fuse taps off each of the seat heater power wires, splice those together and tap them into the part of the lighter power wire that runs to the fuse block (#18/20 amp). I noted that the heater power wire is a larger gauge than the lighter power wire....is that an issue?

Yes, that sounds like what I did. When you cut the harness to the left power outlet be sure to leave enough wire to run it to the wiring on the right side power outlet so you can tap into it. I know some people don't like these types of connectors, but I used these to tap the left outlet to the right one. I don't remember the wire size or the size connector I used. Pic is just for reference.
7134Uq-HZJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The remaining wire that you just cut that has no plug on it will be used to supply the power to both seat heaters. It should be fine. I actually followed what someone named LJ Dave did on another Jeep forum. I've had mine installed since the fall of 2018. Only issue I had was one switch stopped working at some point. Easily found another one on Amazon and replaced it.

I have some info on my install. Amazon doesn't have the kit I used anymore though.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-heated-seats-in-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.15326/

Yes, that sounds like what I did. When you cut the harness to the left power outlet be sure to leave enough wire to run it to the wiring on the right side power outlet so you can tap into it. I know some people don't like these types of connectors, but I used these to tap the left outlet to the right one. I don't remember the wire size or the size connector I used. Pic is just for reference.
View attachment 425645

The remaining wire that you just cut that has no plug on it will be used to supply the power to both seat heaters. It should be fine. I actually followed what someone named LJ Dave did on another Jeep forum. I've had mine installed since the fall of 2018. Only issue I had was one switch stopped working at some point. Easily found another one on Amazon and replaced it.

I have some info on my install. Amazon doesn't have the kit I used anymore though.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-heated-seats-in-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.15326/

I'm a big fan of Posi connectors. Use them all the time...most recently on my hardtop wiring project.

I eliminated the aux adapter plug, and made a relay circuit for both Hi & Lo settings.
This allowed me to power the circuits from a single source.
I tied my seat heaters to the AC power line. There’s already a 30A fuse, and I’ll never use the seat heaters and the AC at the same time.

Reactions: Rcroane
I eliminated the aux adapter plug, and made a relay circuit for both Hi & Lo settings.
This allowed me to power the circuits from a single source.
I tied my seat heaters to the AC power line. There’s already a 30A fuse, and I’ll never use the seat heaters and the AC at the same time.

I actually use the seat heater in my truck at the same time as the A/C.....helps with some lower back pain.

They are pretty handy.

Ran into a little snag. Turns out I've already tapped into the lighter power for my trans temp gauge. So, what I'm thinking is I'll add the power leads from the seat heaters to that same tap. Do you think that will overload that circuit?

Ran into a little snag. Turns out I've already tapped into the lighter power for my trans temp gauge. So, what I'm thinking is I'll add the power leads from the seat heaters to that same tap. Do you think that will overload that circuit?

I can't imagine the trans temp gauge draws much power. It will probably be ok. I used one of those mini fuse taps in a switched power spot in the fuse box behind the glove box for my trans temp gauge power. Tapped into one of the illumination wires for the climate controls.

I actually use the seat heater in my truck at the same time as the A/C.....helps with some lower back pain.

I should have included a bit more clarification.
Here in SoCal, we have the doors and top off the TJ for much of the year, and there's little point to having the AC on with no doors or top, but it does get chilly enough at night (spring & fall) to frequently need the seat heaters to assist w/ the warm air coming from the dash vents.
In the winter, (with the doors on), there's no need for the AC, so for us, the two would never need to be used at the same time.

Seat heaters installed and working. I appreciate all the advice, tips and guidance. Not real happy with the mess of wires behind my center dash panel....combination of this project, hardtop wiring project, and OEM subwoofer add project. Just not a lot of space in there to do a neat and tidy job.