How to install Savvy transfer case shifter kit

If someone wants to crank a few out, here are the specs with a few notes.
1- The .625" diameter flange has to be thicker than the recessed area in the levers. If it is not thick enough, then the nut will tighten down and it won't clamp the pilot side of the larger flange into the recess and the stud will wobble.
2- The pilot height is critical. If it is too long, then the bolt tightens down on the end of the pilot and the stud wobbles.

View attachment 438493

View attachment 438494

A shop that is setup for production work would blow through these quickly and cheaply if the demand is there.

They got my shipping address last week. I was giving them till today and I’ll make a follow up call. The prior emails seemed positive so I expected parts by now.

They got my shipping address last week. I was giving them till today and I’ll make a follow up call. The prior emails seemed positive so I expected parts by now.

I emailed Sunday to ask about bushing availability and Gerald said he'd send one out. I received notice from USPS that a package is en route from Corona, CA and is due tomorrow. I haven't ordered anything else lately, so I assume it's the bushing. Will post up tomorrow evening with an update.

Received today.

IMG_7863.jpeg

@LHC30 - any luck?

Thought they’d be in the mail today but no luck. Phone call tomorrow. The good thing is I’m in the middle of replacing the trans so there is only a little hurry.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Notwithstanding the parts problem, this shift cable is absolutely in the top 3 things I’ve done to a TJ! Positive, smooth shifting with almost no effort required! What a far cry from the factory linkage (even though it was quite worn).

If this was in your top 3 projects to the Jeep, what were the other 2?

Oh boy, you really put me on the spot! 😂

other than the necessary engine rebuild, the 32rh trans replacement (265k mileage), and the whole A/C system, I would say the LED interior light swap and the new Rancho RS5000X shocks.

Awesome! Did you do the LED swap with a kit? Which one did you go with?

I ordered the shift cable kit last week and installed it, mine came with the metal bushing. I had my skid plate off for a clutch job so the install was real easy. The top nut on the transfer case is real easy to get to with the floor pan removed:p. I used a stubby wrench on it.
As far as adjustment, I learned from my old setup it's easiest to adjust in lo, not in 2WD like so many recommend. Just put the txfr case in lo, pull back your shifter all the way back and go from there. Mine came out perfect and I didn't need to make any further adjustments. As for the big 15/16" nuts on cable near the floor bracket, they can be hard to tighten due to no room to swing the wrench so either tighten them first or use a crows foot.
The shifting is great, no more feeling like I'm going to break something trying to shift it, and no need to keep the long 13mm ratcheting wrench on board any more to fix the linkage.
My shifter mount was wobbly and I found a broken rivnut in the floor likely from fighting with the shifter. I installed a bolt with a nylock underneath and firmed it up nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasterMereel42
I ordered the shift cable kit last week and installed it, mine came with the metal bushing. I had my skid plate off for a clutch job so the install was real easy. The top nut on the transfer case is real easy to get to with the floor pan removed:p. I used a stubby wrench on it.
As far as adjustment, I learned from my old setup it's easiest to adjust in lo, not in 2WD like so many recommend. Just put the txfr case in lo, pull back your shifter all the way back and go from there. Mine came out perfect and I didn't need to make any further adjustments. As for the big 15/16" nuts on cable near the floor bracket, they can be hard to tighten due to no room to swing the wrench so either tighten them first or use a crows foot.
The shifting is great, no more feeling like I'm going to break something trying to shift it, and no need to keep the long 13mm ratcheting wrench on board any more to fix the linkage.
My shifter mount was wobbly and I found a broken rivnut in the floor likely from fighting with the shifter. I installed a bolt with a nylock underneath and firmed it up nicely.

I got my shifter cable installed yesterday. I need to adjust it though. I can get it into 4HI, but I need to pull the lever back and slightly to the right to get it to engage. I can get it into 4LO and back to 4HI, but there is a lot of grinding sounds that doesn't sound good. I'm new to Jeep ownership and I only did shifting out of 2HI twice so I need to practice it a bit more.

Oh boy, you really put me on the spot! 😂

other than the necessary engine rebuild, the 32rh trans replacement (265k mileage), and the whole A/C system, I would say the LED interior light swap and the new Rancho RS5000X shocks.

I've got the shifter cable installed, and the LED upgrade will be done this weekend. I also need new shocks at some point potentially. So, I'm pretty much going through your list.