How to install thimble on steel winch cable

steelhd

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Bought a used Warn from a friend and the swaged loop doesn't have a thimble. Shouldn't thimbles be swaged in place? My rope looks just like the Warn replacement in this picture.
51Ti3vrg7vL.jpg

Can a thimble be installed on a steel cable line? I wasn't aware it could.

Bought a used Warn from a friend and the swaged loop doesn't have a thimble. Shouldn't thimbles be swaged in place? My rope looks just like the Warn replacement in this picture.
View attachment 103076
They work both ways. The thimble especially if you get the heavy duty tube style supports the eye, keeps it above the minimum radius where it starts breaking down and slows down wear in the eye. They should be swaged on with a good aluminum or nicro-press swaging sleeve and the proper press. Check around for a cable rigging shop and see if they can install one for you.

They work both ways. The thimble especially if you get the heavy duty tube style supports the eye, keeps it above the minimum radius where it starts breaking down and slows down wear in the eye. They should be swaged on with a good aluminum or nicro-press swaging sleeve and the proper press. Check around for a cable rigging shop and see if they can install one for you.
I'd prefer it be swaged in but that won't be an option for a couple of weeks. I want the thing up and running if possible for a week long trip that starts tomorrow. Is it acceptable to use a galvanized thimble and a clip and leave the existing swage?

Last edited:
I'd prefer it be swaged in but that won't be an option for a couple of weeks. I want the thing up and running if possible for a week long trip that starts tomorrow. Is it acceptable to use a galvanized thimble and a clip and leave the existing swage?
If it already has a swaged loop on it, put a hook on it and deal with it later. It isn't going to fail, if it damages the line, cut it off when they swage on the thimble.

I see a lot of bleeding involved if I were to try this. Lol good info to have though.
It’s unbelievably easy, really. Just make sure you leave a tail 3-4x the length of the loop.
I have never seen one fail but I have not pushed to the limits of the cable either.