How To Install YJ Half Doors on a TJ

i know you abandoned at this point, but would there have been anything preventing TJ hard uppers from fitting on YJ lowers once you addressed this pin issue? Is the pin off longitudinally, laterally, or in both directions?

I abandoned modifying the rear most pin on the TJ soft uppers but I did actually fit my TJ hard uppers to the YJ hard lowers at one point. I had to drill a hole through the uppers so I could insert a 3/8" pin down through them and into the YJ lowers. It worked fine. I later filled the holes I drilled with epoxy and then painted the complete uppers. I use them now on my TJ lowers and the holes I drilled can't be seen.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
How hard is it to swap back to the TJ striker once you’ve modified the Jeep for the YJ doors?

How hard is it to swap back to the TJ striker once you’ve modified the Jeep for the YJ doors?

From some of the videos I have watched it looks like you can just take the TJ striker off and install a YJ striker vin the top hole and not have to modify the hole at all. I have not tried it yet though.

Reactions: lBasket
I am curious about one thing.. I have TJ half doors but the door panels are cracked and in not great shape. I have found some metal door panels that fit a YJ but dont "fit" and tj door. could you tell me what the difference is between a YJ and TJ half door panel? is the location of the inside latch wrong?

thanks.

I am curious about one thing.. I have TJ half doors but the door panels are cracked and in not great shape. I have found some metal door panels that fit a YJ but dont "fit" and tj door. could you tell me what the difference is between a YJ and TJ half door panel? is the location of the inside latch wrong?

thanks.

The interior latch/handle location is different but it's also because YJ doors are basically flat on the interior side while the TJ has a few planes. TJs have a "hump" to accommodate the larger closing latch at the rear.

Welcome to the forum. (y)

The interior latch/handle location is different but it's also because YJ doors are basically flat on the interior side while the TJ has a few planes. TJs have a "hump" to accommodate the larger closing latch at the rear.

Welcome to the forum. (y)

interesting. i wonder if i could get a set of the steel ones and heat and bend for the hump.. or just cut that section out entirely.. the only door panels for tj doors are over a grand and thats used.

interesting. i wonder if i could get a set of the steel ones and heat and bend for the hump.. or just cut that section out entirely.. the only door panels for tj doors are over a grand and thats used.

I imagine anything can be fabricated with basic panel beating and welding skills. I'm not aware of what aftermarket panels might be available, if any, but again you'd be back to the price factor.

That would get you going but at $300 you might be better to start from scratch. Those would require a fair bit of cutting, welding and general metl work.

I've done this before and can't remember the details but if you run a straight edge across the interior side of your TJ half doors your going to find 3 levels. That will give you a good idea of how much fabrication will be involved. Fabricating panels wouldn't be an easy job but I'm sure it can be done.

That would get you going but at $300 you might be better to start from scratch. Those would require a fair bit of cutting, welding and general metl work.

I've done this before and can't remember the details but if you run a straight edge across the interior side of your TJ half doors your going to find 3 levels. That will give you a good idea of how much fabrication will be involved. Fabricating panels wouldn't be an easy job but I'm sure it can be done.

thanks for the info. my doors are getting painted now.. so, i might run them panel-less or just run the older panels.. its not a show jeep at all..