How To Install YJ Half Doors on a TJ

PCO6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I installed YJ half doors on my TJ and although this is nothing new I thought others might be interested in how it's done ... or at least how I did it.

For the half door bottoms the years don't matter as they're all the same. I have a 2003 TJ with MOPAR half doors from a 1992 YJ. I also have Best Top soft lower half doors. For the tops, I use Best Top TJ soft uppers and Black Hawk hard uppers with sliding windows. I have Best Top YJ soft uppers but they do NOT work as the windshield angle is different.

Here's what my TJ looks like with YJ half doors on it. The only external YJ give away is the 6 screws along the top edge that are used to fasten the black brackets for YJ uppers. I didn't install them of course.

picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42199-1.jpg

Here is the striker "pin" that I put together from bits of hardware I had in my garage. It replaces the TJ striker "clip" and allows you to use the YJ half doors with their original latches. I'm sure using original YJ pins would be better and probably look better too.
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42200-1.jpg

This pic shows the original TJ striker "clip" on top and the YJ like striker "pin" that I fabricated on the bottom. Basically it's a 8M x 2" bolt with a 5/8" metal tube and some washers.
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42202-1.jpg

To install the pin, you need to enlarge the top hole on the TJ door pillar. I used a die grinder for this. Be carefull not to make the hole too large. When you reinstall the TJ clip for your original full doors it will cover up the enlarged hole.
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42201-1.jpg

You will have to shorten the interior door handle by about 3/4". As is,it is too long and interferes with the dashboard when you try to open the door. I used a Dremel tool with a cut off disc. As an aside, I did not reconnect the lock button to the latch. This is for anti-theft puposes. If I lock my doors from the outside you can not reach inside and unlock the doors. If you can't open the doors you can't lift them off. I also took both lock cylinders to the dealership and had them reset to match my ignition key. My key now operates my full and half doors, tail gate, ignition, glove box and console ... everything!
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42203-1.jpg

As mentioned, I use Best Top soft uppers for a TJ. This is where it gets messy. The 3 pins for the TJ uppers do not line up like they do for a YJ. The rear most pin is off set. I cut the pin as seen below. My intention was to thread the stub and make an adjustable vertical pin. I abandoned it at this point because, wouldn't you know it —- I FOUND A GREAT SET OF TJ HALF DOORS - TOPS AND BOTTOMS!!!
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42204-1.jpg

The following pics show the Best Top soft bottoms ...
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid34752-1.jpg

... and the Black Hawk hard uppers which I have since painted matt black to better match the hard top ...
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42206-1.jpg

... and the tell tale YJ screws ...
picturephpalbumid3124pictureid42205-1.jpg

The cost of making the pin was next to $0. I could not find a 8M universal pin at NAPA, CTC, etc. so I went with a bolt and some washers I had in my garage. The cost of having the doors painted was $280 which was fine with me. The doors were in great shape and did not require any body work. The guy did a great job on the paint and the colour match is perfect.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

So happy you did this write-up. There's been a lot of guys on here recently asking if it was possible to put YJ doors on a TJ. I would always respond by telling them it was possible, there was just several little things that needed to be changed.

You hit it out of the park with this thread!

Thanks Chris. My next "door" project is to fabricate a pair of interior panels. I now have a set of TJ doors for my TJ and another for my LJ but only 1 set of interior panels. They're almost impossible to find used without buying the doors too. The YJ doors are going to a friend. Unfortunately they're going to have to be painted ... again!

Reactions: Chris
Yes, I've seen a lot of people looking for door panels as well. Like you said they seem to be impossible to find without purchasing the entire door itself. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I like what you did by disconnecting the inner door lock, since all I have is a soft top this seems like a no brainer to protect my doors from disappearing.

@PCO6

Did the YJ door hinges match up to the TJ door hinge? Great write up. I always wondered if YJ doors would work on a TJ when I was looking for my half doors. When I was looking, it seemed there were more YJ half doors out there and you could pick them up cheaper then the TJ half doors.

@PCO6

Did the YJ door hinges match up to the TJ door hinge? Great write up. I always wondered if YJ doors would work on a TJ when I was looking for my half doors. When I was looking, it seemed there were more YJ half doors out there and you could pick them up cheaper then the TJ half doors.
Thanks lowranger. The YJ door hinges lined up fine. I had to loosen the hinges a bit and adjust them but that's fairly normal for any CJ/YJ/TJ full or half doors. I think you're right about YJ doors being more available and less expensive. That was my experience when I was looking too.

Getting the right colour is a BIG savings! In the last few years I have bought 2 sets of TJ half doors and 1 set of YJ doors and guess what colour they were? RED ... all of them ... just like your TJ! The problem is that my TJ and LJ are both silver!

BTW - I also have a 2 dr. XJ. I picked up a set of spare doors that I plan to make into half doors. It will require a fair bit of fabrication and that's fine. I've seen them well done and not so well done and I think I have a good idea of what I plan to do. Again, guess what colour they are ... RED! My XJ is black.

Last edited:
Good luck with your project Travis. It's well worth doing ... gotta love half doors! :thumbsup:
Hey have a question...I know this is old but why you make the larger hole? The 2" bolt won't fit in without? Don't really understand....looks like washers cover anyway......and appreciate this...just got my doors for the the and article is definitely helping....

Hey have a question...I know this is old but why you make the larger hole? The 2" bolt won't fit in without? Don't really understand....looks like washers cover anyway......and appreciate this...just got my doors for the the and article is definitely helping....
A larger hole is required so you can move the fabricated pin in to a position where it will connect with the YJ door latch when you close the door. The YJ and TJ door latches are totally different but fortunately the point where they connect to actually lock (YJ to a pin and TJ to a clip) are very close. The larger hole allows for the necessary adjustment.

Does anyone know how to fish the backer to striker plate out. I would rather use a traditional striker, but I cannot seem to fish out the back plate.
I'm not sure what you are trying to do. The TJ and YJ door latches are different. The TJ latch requires the original "loop" on the door jamb as shown in the 3rd pic of this thread while YJ's require a post.

Picked up a set of full YJ soft doors yesterday off craigslist dirt cheap! I just added a 5/16 20 bolt and nut and washer and removed the top hex from the tj striker and turned it down. The YJ soft top fits pretty well on the lower half, upper half is not perfect but good enough summer wheeling and compared to paying over $500 for best top i'm happy with it as always wanted half doors.
IMG_20190522_182407508.jpg
IMG_20190522_185253822_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190522_191602433_HDR.jpg

Picked up a set of full YJ soft doors yesterday off craigslist dirt cheap! I just added a 5/16 20 bolt and nut and washer and removed the top hex from the tj striker and turned it down. The YJ soft top fits pretty well on the lower half, upper half is not perfect but good enough summer wheeling and compared to paying over $500 for best top i'm happy with it as always wanted half doors.
View attachment 95350View attachment 95351
View attachment 95352
Looks real good

Getting the right colour is a BIG savings! In the last few years I have bought 2 sets of TJ half doors and 1 set of YJ doors and guess what colour they were? RED ... all of them ... just like your TJ! The problem is that my TJ and ...

TJ half doors in Desert Sand Peal for my 99 Sahara... if I ever even saw a pair, I think I would pass out

• Haha
Reactions: Tob