How-to: Installing auxiliary LED lights.

jaredwolff

Circuit Nerd
Supporting Member
I feel like every right of passage for a Jeep owner is to get some lights on board. The lowest hanging fruit being a bumper bar setup. I did an install over the winter and documented it recently. I figured it would help some of you properly protect your Jeep from damaging shorts (or worse, but let's not talk about that) and leave options open for future expansion.

Parts
I've included a list of parts that I went through to make this all happen. The total spend came in around $280 plus the lights them selves. This may be high for you but when you factor in reliability and long term use it's 100% worth it.

With that being said the bill of materials can be found here in Excel format.

Tools
There were a few tools that I used during this install. Here are the basics that you can't go without no matter what:
  • Wire Strippers
  • Needle Nose Pliers
  • Heat Gun (I used a Weller heat gun I've had forever for the heat shrink)
  • Butt splice crimps (I have an old, older than me, pair of Stack-on crimpers which are awwwsome)
Procedure
Check out the introduction video that will show you the end result. I've also included some of the videos that outline the techniques and the steps to install everything in my 03 TJ.

I hope everyone finds these videos useful. Drop me a line here if you have any questions. I have lots more nitty gritty details and the full tutorial here.

Reactions: mikespine and Chris