How-to make a DIY tailgate table for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Brinta

TJ Enthusiast
One day not too long ago I was killing some time searching various website stores for Wrangler accessories when I found something that did pique my interest. Folding tailgate table. I thought that would be great! While sitting on the trunk or sitting in a chair you had somewhere to rest your keys, drink, or other small items.

What killed my vibe were the following:
1. Price
The cost of these things ranged from $75-200+. I thought that absurd for a lightweight metal slab with hinge.
2. Quality
Them there was the steel and material. Saw waaay too many worryingly negative reviews citing build quality of the metal and screws that came with it. Not an encouraging review to see on even the priciest tables
3. Fitment
You will notice a majority of these tables fit for the JK and JL. There are few tables available for our TJs. Making the search that much more narrow.

I'd given up until I stumbled upon this DIY video.

Seemed simple enough. I set out to Home Depot to procure all the parts needed. Despite the title and description I ended up paying roughly $55 for all the material needed.
A. Plywood
B. Stainer
C. Heavy magnet
D. Paracord
E. Two Smaller Magnets
F. Handle
G. Piano Hinge
H. Heavy Duty 30lb or more rated double sided tape

Took measurements. Cut the wood to size. I didn't need a total tailgate covering shelf and therefore did not cut it pretty compared to the video. Also, my 05 Rubicon had a different tailgate than the one in the video.
20190902_210305.jpg

20190902_210330.jpg

I measured and drilled 2 holes for cupholders, and cut to fit the hinge. My 1 hour stainer remained sticky for much longer than advertised and needed multiple coats on both sides anyway. Unless you have all day starting morning to flip the wood in the warm sun, expect staining to take a while. Additionally, I chose a color to match my Jeeps interior as I didn't care to have the wood resemble the top of a school desk.

So next day after staining is complete I installed the table. My method was first installing the hinge onto the tailgate, then getting underneath the jeep to drill in and secure the table. I had someone hold the table up for 5 minutes while doing this part.
Since my Rubicon didn't have the same paracord hole per the video I instead used a smaller, strong magnet to loop it in, hold it, and keep it level. Finally, it was finished.
20190904_181417.jpg

20190904_181406.jpg

20190904_174051.jpg

The handle was my idea for ease of use. I didn't like having to slip my fingertips behind the wood everytime to open it, and the silver pull icon is there because even with a handle its not obvious right away how to open it ("So like do I pull the handle orrrr?"). Also added some Jeep logo stickers to give it that final little touch.

And thats how ya do it, at least how I did it for my Wrangler which was marginally different from the video I found. That video is a really good base to work from, and as a result I didn't go too in depth here.

If you've got a day to kill and want to go about trying a VERY easy, inexpensive self made Jeep mod with a practical use while parked, you can't go any better with this DIY table.

If anyone else has made their own table like this please share some pics, share your cost and other relevent info.

Here’s the one I built for my LJ.
24ED74F7-67C7-4AFE-9A60-A08889A475AB.jpeg

Started by riveting a length piano hinge to the tailgate.
67020E8B-EB0B-4AD8-907A-7C0A4A55D47C.jpeg

In these two pictures you can get an idea of how I attached the cables and the rare earth magnets that hold the table in the up position.
E9D37D4B-ACF6-48B7-BCC8-9C2F5CB1BA5D.jpeg

26F3DCA1-9538-49DA-A00B-A134D23404E8.jpeg

I built these upper brackets by starting with a scrap of angle iron, trimming it, and adding a striker disc for the rare earth magnet.
0A9B1092-3ADA-42CD-83DC-5ECE7A6A7A90.jpeg

Table material is 1/2” Baltic birch plywood. It was a left over piece I had from a cabinet build.
Piano hinge. Handful of hardware. Rare earth magnets and mounting cups. Some aircraft cable and hardware and that’s it.

Out of pocket I don’t think I have $20?in mine.
Having a shop full of “stuff” came in handy on this project.

@DrDmoney , Nice work!
Where did you score the perforated metal for the table surface?
I like your use of the hiem joints and the pit pin to hold the table closed
They were extra from a high rise job I just recently completed in downtown San Francisco.

@DrDmoney, in the photo below, copied from your build thread, you are showing what I think is a Rigid woodworking slide saw.

57E3F7FE-0A02-4B20-8227-42773220BC15.jpeg

There is a piece of flat stock clamped to the saw table as if it were cut at 45*. Is this flat stock aluminum? If so, than I understand how you used this saw. If it is steel can you tell me what blade you used.

I have a 30 year old Dewalt that I cut aluminum with sometimes using a dedicated 80 tooth carbide woodworking blade.
When you cut aluminum do you use a special blade other than a woodworking blade?

@DrDmoney, in the photo below, copied from your build thread, you are showing what I think is a Rigid woodworking slide saw.

View attachment 113755

There is a piece of flat stock clamped to the saw table as if it were cut at 45*. Is this flat stock aluminum? If so, than I understand how you used this saw. If it is steel can you tell me what blade you used.

I have a 30 year old Dewalt that I cut aluminum with sometimes using a dedicated 80 tooth carbide woodworking blade.
When you cut aluminum do you use a special blade other than a woodworking blade?

I use a couple different brands of alumi-cut blades, they’re carbide tipped. They brand I use most is Tenryu and they make steel-cut blades as well. Diablo has some lesser quality ferrous and non-ferrous cut blades also.

Reactions: jgaz
I would add to the above that dry cutting steel should be done at a lower rpm and there are special saws made for it that use a carbide blade. Hilti sells a cordless metal-cut circular saw and blades also.

I use a couple different brands of alumi-cut blades, they’re carbide tipped. They brand I use most is Tenryu and they make steel-cut blades as well. Diablo has some lesser quality ferrous and non-ferrous cut blades also.
Thanks for the blade info. I figured the saw was way too fast to cut steel but figured I’d ask.

I have a friend that has this saw. He’s quite happy with it.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641810_200641810
I’ve been watching it and thinking about pulling the trigger. If I’m going to buy a dedicated metal saw I don’t really want the mess of an abrasive blade.

I would pay you to make one of those for me. If it would work with my Tuffy security trunk. That is amazing. You should sell those.
I wish I had more of that size aluminum panel I would make one for you. Does the Tuffy Trunk go tight against the tailgate?

I'd have to take a closer look at it. I think it would work if it was just a tad smaller. The trunk is more like a box. And one side is the tailgate. If that makes sense.

Reactions: DrDmoney