How-to make a Speedohealer harness

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
This is a guide to making a harness for a hall speedometer corrector or Speedohealer.

If anybody is interested in a new corrector with the correct harness included for a good price 12oclocklabs has one that you can usually find on ebay for about $70.

** You should have basic wiring skills and be careful, the harness connects directly to the PCM and mistakes could cause serious damage **

Making a harness will allow you to put an inexpensive used HealTech Speedohealer commonly found on ebay in any TJ. They are primarily used on motorcycles and since most people put the stock sprockets back on their bikes when they get rid of them they often also sell the Speedohealer. There are no Jeep specific electronics, the harness is all that is different for our Jeeps.

If you are interested in calibration or general operation of the Speedohealer the directions from can be downloaded from HealTech. If you buy one used it may have a custom setup, it pays to read and understand how to program it so you can check and clear any previous settings. Any version of the Speedohealer should work but this is the current version and what I used.
SH-V4 User Manual

If you want some detailed information about how to calibrate your Speedohealer I put together some information in another thread.
How-to calibrate your odometer using OBD, GPS and a SpeedoHealer

To begin you need a Speedohealer with the motorcycle harness. You will also need the male and female connectors for the Jeep and optionally a length of four strand wire if you want to locate the Speedohealer beyond the reach of the cable you have. The connectors are called Delphi/Aptiv APEX 2.8 series. They are available from Ballenger Motorsports. The male connector is CONN-76016 when sold with pins. The female connector is CONN-76015. There are other places to source the connectors and some have pigtails already attached. The process is still about the same.

Here's what they look like.

Conn.JPG

The wiring to the hall sender is shown in the factory service manual. Here is the diagram for a 2004. You might need to check the colors for different model years.

Wiring.jpg

Here's the basic wiring diagram for the harness using the colors from the manual to be sure everything goes where it belongs. If your Speedohealer has different color wires just find the manual for it and follow the diagram, they all have four primary connections ground, power, signal in and signal out. Some variants will have a second harness and button, you can leave that disconnected.

Healer_Diagram.JPG

You can see each wire going to the factory sending unit. While Rubicons use a different style sending unit the connectors are the same so it'll work either way.

TC_wiring.JPG

The Speedohealer I bought was for a Yamaha YZF-R1, I just cut off the motorcycle connectors and put the Jeep connectors on. Be careful you get everything going to the correct pins. The factory diagram has the pin numbers and the colors should be easy to see in the pictures.

Assembly.JPG

The finished assembly should look something like this.

Harness.JPG

Here's mine after a few months of use. It's taken a few dips in the mud and is holding up just fine. The APEX connectors are sealed.

Finished.JPG

If you need to extend the harness simply cut and extend using whatever wire you want. This is a low voltage signal and as long as your connections are solid almost anything would work. The commercially available Jeep harness is pretty long so the Speedohealer can be mounted near the PCM but there is no reason you need to follow that path. I routed mine up into the rear of the tub behind the driver seat.

Last edited:
Good writeup--something I may have considered a few years ago had I known. I want to say the speedo healer I bought was $140. Used ones I am finding are around $70

Good writeup--something I may have considered a few years ago had I known. I want to say the speedo healer I bought was $140. Used ones I am finding are around $70
Thanks.
They are regularly listed for under $50, you just have to keep your eyes open. Unlike the Jeep version they aren't rare.

Reactions: tworley
For the heck of it, I went to the Blue Monkey Motorsports webpage to see if they sell just the TJ harness without the Speedohealer. The company's website and its Facebook page are down. I get a constant busy signal when I call them.

Has Blue Monkey Motorsports gone out of business?

For the heck of it, I went to the Blue Monkey Motorsports webpage to see if they sell just the TJ harness without the Speedohealer. The company's website and its Facebook page are down. I get a constant busy signal when I call them.

Has Blue Monkey Motorsports gone out of business?
They refunded my money this week due to extended back order. I emailed them and asked them how extended this backorder was, and they said two to three weeks. They said they didn't want to hold my money for that long, LOL, even though they had held it for a month at that point. I am certainly not hopeful that they are still in business.

They refunded my money this week due to extended back order. I emailed them and asked them how extended this backorder was, and they said two to three weeks. They said they didn't want to hold my money for that long, LOL, even though they had held it for a month at that point. I am certainly not hopeful that they are still in business.
I got a full refund from them last week with the same message. I ordered mine on 8/31/19.

Wow, that sucks. They are the recommended go-to for those with supershort sye's. Wonder how they put themselves in that position...

At least there are some used ones on ebay and this new write up to get it to work on your TJ ;)

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks. They are the recommended go-to for those with supershort sye's. Wonder how they put themselves in that position...

At lest there are some used ones on ebay and this new write up to get it to work on your TJ ;)
It's lookimg like the option at this point, or are there others?

At lest there are some used ones on ebay and this new write up to get it to work on your TJ ;)

Mind sharing a link? I think I may be using a bad search but I'm not seeing many :/

Edit: I may just accept that my speedo is off for a while longer. It's generally not a big enough problem for me.

Last edited:
Mind sharing a link? I think I may be using a bad search but I'm not seeing many :/

Edit: I may just accept that my speedo is off for a while longer. It's generally not a big enough problem for me.
I just typed speedohealer in the search box on ebay. A lot of used ones for $70ish. The second one listed is for a Kawasaki. I'm on my phone and ebay keeps opening thru the app so I can't share the link right now

I just typed speedohealer in the search box on ebay. A lot of used ones for $70ish. The second one listed is for a Kawasaki. I'm on my phone and ebay keeps opening thru the app so I can't share the link right now

No worries, I have other goals for the $70 than that :) I don’t mind the speedo being off for now - Waze does a good job helping me calibrate as the tires wear.

Just got an email with a tracking number saying my order was fulfilled. Hmmm...some hope returning.

Reactions: L J