How to make your own CO2 air system for under $200

Jeepaholic

TJ Enthusiast
So I wanted a way to quickly air up my tires, and did not want the expense of a high quality on board air compressor, as I don't plan on air lockers, don't want the extra electrical wiring, mounts, etc. Co2 gave me exactly what I was looking for, and no need to buy the expensive name brand system, as you can order all components needed off Amazon. Here is my parts list:

New 10lb aluminum co2 tank with gas 20 valve installed-$99 shipped
Poly perf gentec 227c fixed 150 psi co2 regulator-$45
Flexzilla 25 ft hose-$25
Quick connect fitting set-$15 (so many to choose from) these are in the pictures but I have already installed them on the regulator and hose 20170314_200413.jpg 20170314_200455.jpg 20170314_200443.jpg 20170314_200428.jpg 20170314_200422.jpg
20170314_200413.jpg
20170314_200455.jpg
20170314_200443.jpg
20170314_200428.jpg
20170314_200422.jpg

ARB inflator $22
ARB deflator $42

So that adds up to $248, but I didn't count the inflator/deflator as I needed those anyways as my current ones sucked. Cost $26 at a local fire supply to fill it. Supposedly will air up 16-20 35" tires from 12 psi to 28 psi on one fill. And it's portable. Not sure if I should have posted this in the how to section instead?

Very nicely done! How often do you think you'll have to fill it?
There is roughly 87 cubic feet in a 10lb cylinder. The number of fills will be subject to your tire size, wheel size and the delta between the deflated pressure and run pressure.

Reactions: StG58
There is roughly 87 cubic feet in a 10lb cylinder. The number of fills will be subject to your tire size, wheel size and the delta between the deflated pressure and run pressure.
Going from 5 psi to 20 psi
31's on 15's would be roughly 24 inflates
33's on 15's would be roughly 17 inflates
35's on 17's would be roughly 16 inflates

Reactions: StG58
Going from 5 psi to 20 psi
31's on 15's would be roughly 24 inflates
33's on 15's would be roughly 17 inflates
35's on 17's would be roughly 16 inflates

Oh wow, so it would last a while then. But are those numbers for 4 tires, or does 1 tire count as 1 inflate? My math sucks!

A side note to using CO2. I work in the industrial gas world and deal with CO2 or the results of CO2 everyday. Keep in mind that it can escape your tires at a faster rate than compressed air. It is corrosive and not a very clean gas. It is safe for the rubber your tires are made out of but can over time cause issues with the valve stems. It is also not the best idea to use it in your air lockers for the same issues. It is also an asphyxiant so make sure you protect that valve and make sure it doesn't get cracked open. That being said. I know that a lot of people use it and it's not the end of the world if you do. Just be aware of the issues that come along with it.

Reactions: lindsey97 and StG58
A side note to using CO2. I work in the industrial gas world and deal with CO2 or the results of CO2 everyday. Keep in mind that it can escape your tires at a faster rate than compressed air. It is corrosive and not a very clean gas. It is safe for the rubber your tires are made out of but can over time cause issues with the valve stems. It is also not the best idea to use it in your air lockers for the same issues. It is also an asphyxiant so make sure you protect that valve and make sure it doesn't get cracked open. That being said. I know that a lot of people use it and it's not the end of the world if you do. Just be aware of the issues that come along with it.

Use nitrogen instead and all the problems go away, plus it has reduced loss over air.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
Use nitrogen instead and all the problems go away, plus it has reduced loss over air.
Nitrogen is much cleaner, non corrosive and it escapes the tire slower. You still have to watch the asphyxiant aspect but it does dissipate back into the atmosphere much faster.

I think CO2 is more commonly used because it's cheaper and above about 60psi it is liquid - so once expanded back to a gas, you end up with more volume for the same size tank vs N2...

I thought I remember @mrblaine telling me something about nitrogen use in tires... Wish I could remember what he said though.

I think CO2 is more commonly used because it's cheaper and above about 60psi it is liquid - so once expanded back to a gas, you end up with more volume for the same size tank vs N2...
The cylinders you get filled are gas. Liquid CO2 requires refrigeration or cryogenic tanks. CO2 is compressed to a higher pressure in the cylinders yielding more stored volume.

I thought I remember @mrblaine telling me something about nitrogen use in tires... Wish I could remember what he said though.
Nitrogen maintains in the tire slightly better than compressed air. It distributes heat more evenly too. That is why race cars run it. We build a couple hundred N2 generators a month for a much better cause. Draft Beer.

Reactions: zip04 and Chris
Liquid N2 requires refrigeration, liquid CO2 does not... If you've ever refilled a paintball tank (co2) the supply bottle will have a siphon tube to ensure you are getting liquid from the bottom of the tank rather than just gas from the top - for those that don't have a siphon tube people turn the tank upside down to ensure liquid co2 fills smaller bottle.

Reactions: xxdabroxx and Chris