How to make your own CO2 air system for under $200

Thank you all for the information. I've been viewing this thread gathering some information to make a setup for my TJ. How do you store your tanks in your rigs? Do you have tank mounts, strapped down, or some other contraption?
I gave up on the cinch-strap method of holding my tank to the rollbar and found a reduced cost Powertank CO2 tank holder bracket in Amazon.com due to it supposedly having a few scratches in it. Upon receiving what appeared to be a perfect unblemished holder, I suspect they were just reducing the cost a little on actually perfect holders to move more of them.

I have it mounted to the rear rollbar now, I really like this new holder. 3 big stainless steel u-bolts hold it securely to the rollbar. It stays in the holder while refilling my tires, I only have to remove it to refill it with more CO2.

Tank.jpg
Holder-backside.jpg

Last edited:
@Jeepaholic, what's the verdict on your CO2 set up now that you've had it for a year. I was looking at the Power Tanks systems but since they don't sponsor my ride the cost is a bit steep.

@Jeepaholic, what's the verdict on your CO2 set up now that you've had it for a year. I was looking at the Power Tanks systems but since they don't sponsor my ride the cost is a bit steep.
It still works great, one of my favorite items on the camping packing list! Sometimes the regulator gets frozen but that's usually after I have filled my tires and a buddies tires and another buddies tires...which brings me to the only drawback, it's like being the only guy in the group with a winch lol everyone else uses it more than me!

So I wanted a way to quickly air up my tires, and did not want the expense of a high quality on board air compressor, as I don't plan on air lockers, don't want the extra electrical wiring, mounts, etc. Co2 gave me exactly what I was looking for, and no need to buy the expensive name brand system, as you can order all components needed off Amazon. Here is my parts list:

New 10lb aluminum co2 tank with gas 20 valve installed-$99 shipped
Poly perf gentec 227c fixed 150 psi co2 regulator-$45
Flexzilla 25 ft hose-$25
Quick connect fitting set-$15 (so many to choose from) these are in the pictures but I have already installed them on the regulator and hoseView attachment 12562 View attachment 12563 View attachment 12564 View attachment 12565 View attachment 12566 View attachment 12562 View attachment 12563 View attachment 12564 View attachment 12565 View attachment 12566
ARB inflator $22
ARB deflator $42

So that adds up to $248, but I didn't count the inflator/deflator as I needed those anyways as my current ones sucked. Cost $26 at a local fire supply to fill it. Supposedly will air up 16-20 35" tires from 12 psi to 28 psi on one fill. And it's portable. Not sure if I should have posted this in the how to section instead?
What valve did you attaches to the co2 bottle

Found these regulators on EBay. You can get a tank for about 100.00 on eBay making a system under 200.00.

View attachment 56729
Gauges like that are a complete waste of $$$ for a CO2 tank where the pressure stays constant until the CO2 runs out. The tank needs to be weighed to know how much CO2 remains.

Reactions: astjp2
Jerry, it looks a DOT approved bottle? Is there a hydro static inspection and life limit on the bottle?

Best price I can find these days for a 10 lb aluminum tank is $105. This includes a valve but no handle.

Can anyone do better than that? (Making a purchase tonight)
and you peeked facebook marketplace? i see them quite often.

This will more thank likely be my setup

10 lb Co2 Carbon Dioxide Cylinder with Protective Regulator Carry Handle, CANDY BLUE Powder Coated Finish, Tank Boot Included for Off Road OVERLAND Tire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP9YZMHX/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.polyperformance.com/poly-performance-co2-fixed-regulator-227c-150

10, 15 lb CO2 Super Bracket - Stainless Steel - 6.9 inch Diameter with SS Strap and Locking Latch - Powder Coated Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0831R4PMC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Flexzilla Air Hose, 3/8 in. x 25 ft., 1/4 in. MNPT Fittings, Heavy Duty, Lightweight, Hybrid, ZillaGreen - HFZ3825YW2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021WVO8W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

$414 (with tax) for tank,bracket,hose, air inflator
$50 for regulator
$15 for fittings?

total around $480?