How to narrow a Ford high pinion Dana 44 front axle to waggy width

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
I spoke to Chris about this and asked if it was something he felt might be useful. I know when talking about doing something like narrowing an axle it can sound rather intimidating. I was skeptical myself when I started this project and was not sure if I would be able to pull this off. But I will tell you that it can be done but you need to make sure you do a TON of research first before attempting it. And as the old saying goes "Measure 3 times cut once". And if you bugger up a cut on the axle tube you can't just glue the needed amount back onto it. Yes you can sleeve the tube like Ian from Extreme 4x4 did when making the 14 bolt front axles but if you take your time and double and triple check your measurements you should be okay.

I hope you all don't mind but I am going to give you all a little back ground on how and why I decided to do this axle modification.

Back in 2003 I was a member of the Washington National Guard and was activated to go to Iraq in support of Iraqi Freedom. While I was deployed I tried doing as much research as I could while dreaming about getting home and working on my TJ. I had a SE model so I wasn't worried about over powering my axles much but I also wanted to make sure I had axles that were strong enough to handle some abuse. My original plans were that I would beef up a HP30 and install that in the front and build a Ford 8.8 for the rear. One night while I was online reading a build thread I found a TeraLow CRD 60 rear axle with 5.13 gears and a ARB for sale for a kick butt price. So I contacted the owner and arranged to buy the axle. So now my plans were changing. Then when I got home I was looking for a Dodge Dakota bellhousing so I could swap my AX-5 transmission for a AX-15. While searching for this bellhousing I ran across a shop that was doing V-8 swaps into TJ's. Boy were my plans changing now. I had a rear axle that would handle the power of a V-8 but I knew the Dana 30 or HP30 would not be up to the power of a V-8. So I started my research again on what choices I had. G2 wasn't around yet so I didn't have access to their axles. Currie and Dynatrac were out of my price range so I had to figure something else out. I happened to find a writeup on the NAXJ forum and on Pirate about narrowing a Ford HP44 to Waggy width. Now many people choose to leave these axles at full width which is around 65" WMS to WMS (Wheel Mount Surface) but I wanted to keep my TJ as narrow as I could due to the trails that I run here in the Pacific Northwest. Plus the rear axle I had bought was 60.5" WMS to WMS. I could have narrowed this front axle to any width I wanted but then I would have needed custom made axle shafts. So instead I decided to narrow it to Waggy width so that if needed I could get of the shelf axles. So with this I started shopping and found a Ford HP44 on Ebay for $100 plus $80 shipping since it was coming from PA. I am not going to get into the years you need to be looking for because this is well covered on places like Pirate. What I will mention is that you need to stay away from the axles that have the radius arm wedges cast into the axle tube. The axle I found had already had all the mounts and brackets removed so I knew it would work for what I was going to do.

IMG00481.jpg

The first step is to cut the inner "C" off each end as close to "C" as possible. Side note: Battery operated Sawzall will not cut completely thru a axle tube before the battery dies. And having 2 spare batteries are still not enough. So it took me 3 days to cut both "C"s off. Leason learned.

Once you have both "C" off the REAL FUN begins. You now need to grind down the weld that is holding the axle tube to the inside of the "C". Once you have the welds ground down enough you then need to take your Sawzall again and cut thru the axle tube inside the "C" while making sure that you do not cut into the "C". When you have done this you will be able to drive the axle tube out of the "C".

IMG00484.jpg

This is part of the reason for using this axle as opposed to a TJ Rubicon axle.

IMG00483.jpg

As has been pointed out in the thread on using a LP30 or a HP30 the same arguement can be used with a LP44 or a HP44. I wanted the HP44 to help keep my front driveline out of the rocks and for the added strength of it being a HP axle. But again there isn't enough of a strength advantage to justify going with the HP axle if you happened to have a driver side drop Waggy axle.

So here is the axle with both "C"s removed.

IMG00485.jpg

Now here comes the measure 3 times check 8 times and then cut once. There are many ways to cut the axe tubes. Some people use a chop saw, others use a portable band say while others have used a Sawzall. The main thing is to make sure you make a straight cut. I cheated and took my housing over to a buddies house and used his horizontal band saw to cut the tube to the required length.

IMG00490.jpg

IMG00491.jpg

Now for the important measurements:
Axle short side is 8"
Axle long side is 24 3/8"

Measurement is taken from then center of the center section casting hole to the end of the tube.
These measurements are for using 80-84 Wagoneer axle shafts. The axle lengths are as follows:
Short side: 15.8"
Long side: 32.12"

Once you have cut your axle tubes to the required length it is not time to put the inner "C" back into the axle. What is critical here is setting your Caster & Pinion angle. If you do not have the proper amount of caster your tires will not return to center/straight after turning or will be slow/resistive to return to center. There are tons of articles on what caster does and the how and whys of it. So please don't quote me on any of this.

From Wikipedia:
Positive caster angle

"The pivot points of the steering are angled such that a line drawn through them intersects the road surface slightly ahead of the center of the contact patch of the tire on the pavement by a distance called trail. The purpose of this is to provide a degree of self-centering for the steering — the wheel casters around in order to trail behind the axis of steering. This makes a vehicle easier to control and improves its directional stability (reducing its tendency to wander). Excessive caster angle will make the steering heavier and less responsive, although in racing large caster angles are used for improving camber gain in cornering. Caster angles over 7 degrees with radial tires are common. Power steering is usually necessary to overcome the jacking effect from the high caster angle.

Some streetcar front-end alignment calls for different right side and left side caster. This is called cross caster and the difference is called the spread. Cross camber may also be specified, but not usually both.[3]"

When we were setting up my axle we knew we wanted the caster to be between 4-8* so we set it at 7*.
I knew I was going to be running a 4-6" lift on my TJ so we decided to set the pinion angle at 4*
You set the pinion angle in relationship to the caster. I knew from the research I had done that I wanted a total pinion angle of 10-13* total. So adding the amount of caster plus the pinion angle I set my axle at 11* total pinion angle.

IMG00492.jpg

Now I had read everything I could find about putting "C"s back onto the axle tubes. My buddies wife was gone for the weekend so we used the oven in the kitchen and heated the "C" up to 500* for 2 hours. I put on welding gloves, leather gloves and those bar-b-queing gloves to try and protect my hands. I grabbed one "C" and ran back into the garage while my buddy was standing there with a 3lb hammer and the protractor.

IMG00493.jpg

Once we had TRIPLE checked our numbers again my buddy burned the "C" to the tube while I slowly rotated the housing so that he could get one continuous bead.

IMG00497.jpg

IMG00500.jpg

Back in 2005 there wasn't a lot of options for bracket kits for a TJ front axle. The kit I used was a Rubicon Express kit. If I was doing this axle today I would use either a Artec or TNT Custom truss/bracket kit.

So first to go on was the center section truss.

IMG00501.jpg

IMG00502.jpg

IMG00503.jpg

IMG00504.jpg

IMG00505.jpg

Next is the coil spring pads & shock mount.

IMG00507.jpg

IMG00508.jpg

And then the passenger side upper link mount

IMG00509.jpg

IMG00510.jpg

IMG00511.jpg

And then the lower link brackets.

IMG00512.jpg

IMG00513.jpg

Last was the drivers side upper link mount.

IMG00515.jpg

All done

IMG00516.jpg

After I cleaned all the welds and the housing I threw on a coat of etching primer.

IMG00528.jpg

To match my rear axle I installed a ARB locker and 5.13 gears.

And then some black paint.

IMG00531.jpg

I used Chevy small bearing spindles so that I could run Ford rotors to get the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

IMG00565.jpg

IMG00566.jpg

All together and looking pretty.

IMG00575.jpg

IMG00576.jpg

And then installed into the front of my TJ

IMG00629.jpg

What I can tell you is this, I had never tried anything like this before so I am no expert on building custom axles. Now that I have done it once I have no qualms about doing it again. I have toyed with the idea of building a HP60 for the front of my TJ. There is a lot of discussion about what axle you need to run certain sizes of tires. I do not have the experiance some have but from my experiance so far my Dana 44 is holding up to running 38x12.5x16.5 TSL Super Swamper SX tires. I have broken ONE u-joint since I went to the 38" tires. But it was a stock u-joint and after breaking it and taking out one Alloy USA axle shaft I now have Bobby Long 300M u-joints. I am thinking about installing the RCV axles. RCV has a maximum tire size of 40" for their Dana 44 shafts. Which is fine for me as I don't want to run anything larger than 40". I also have not had any ball joint issues but you never know. I am going to be getting a set of these ball joints and trying them out to see how they hold up. Bonefish Fabrication

Don't be scared to try something. If you have any questions I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge but like I said I am no expert. And I sometime like to over analyze a subject which can drive some people crazy but I like to know as much as I can even when others might feel my questions have been answered. Good luck if decide to try this and again if I can I will help. Hope everyone likes this writeup.

So...I have a question. Why go through the trouble of cutting the "C" off the tube? Can't you just cut the tube, cut the 3" or so out of the remaining tube, then weld the tube back together? Basically, just section the tube...

So...I have a question. Why go through the trouble of cutting the "C" off the tube? Can't you just cut the tube, cut the 3" or so out of the remaining tube, then weld the tube back together? Basically, just section the tube...
Mike,
Yes I guess you could cut the tube take out how ever much you need to and then weld the tube back together. Without a sleeve on the inside of the tube I would not trust it but I am not a certified welder so I could be wrong. All the writeups and video's I had ever seen showed that you should remove the "C" and then remove the required amount and weld the "C" back on.

Now in the TV show Extreme 4x4 Ian was using Chevy 14bolt axles for both ends of a buggy. When he was building the front 14bolt he sleeved the axle tube on the long side and welded the two sections of tube back together. But then he also added a truss to the front axle that covered the area that was sleeved and welded.

Reactions: Chris
@Wildman - when you put the "C's" back on, was there certain specs that you installed them onto the tube? I have to replace the passenger side "C" and cannot find anything that says how that should be mounted or X degree in relation to the axle tube.

Thanks.

My friends and I have narrowed up a few front ends over the years. There are a few ways to do it...

Cut the tube in the middle and butt weld back together. Kind of a bitch to do and keep straight. Most d44s have 3/8 to 1/2 inch tubes. You need to really v the hell out of the tube and double pass weld it. This makes for lots of heat and it is very hard not to wrap the tube, even if you internal sleeve it. I will not do another like that.

Drill out the spot welds in the center section and remove the tube
Then install new shorter tube. This requires machining the tube for the axle shaft seal. Not a bad way to do it, but the tubes are really in the center section tight. Almost easier to cut the tube and machine it out of the center section. A variation of this method works well for correcting caster on a scout front end. Drill out spot welds (or torch but be careful you dont wreck the axle seal surface), then while is hot, hit the inner c to turn the whole tube in the housing. It turns fairly easy while the housing is warm. This is the quickest and easiest way to get caster in a scout 44 we have done.

I have not tried the next method, but I might next time. If you are working on a Dana 44 with a 2.5 or 2.75 of tube, cut off the tube a couple inches from the center section and put a new tube over the old one. On a 2.5 inch tube, you could use 3 inch od, .25 wall dom tube. This might be a nice way to retube a bent jk axle for tj use. Might be a nice way to get a narrowed up front axle that isn't super heavy ( 3 inch od 1/2 wall dana 44s are freaking heavy!)

Then there is the way Wildman did it. In my opinion this is a pretty clean way to do it, especially doing it to use waggy shafts. ( By the way , you guys did a nice job).

Or buy one already done......but what's the fun in that

On a side note, if you install a full length over the axle truss, do not go crazy welding it to the long tube. I have seen more than a few front axles that people have tried to "make stronger" by fully welding a truss on and they turn the long side into a smiley face. When you do a long hot weld on the top of the tube it bends down, then as it cools, it goes past straight to bent the other way. Trusses in my opinion are kind of silly. An over the axle truss needs to be huge to really gain any strength.

Chris and Wildman, if you guys think this a hijack, move or delete it. Kind of got long winded here.

Paul

@Wildman - when you put the "C's" back on, was there certain specs that you installed them onto the tube? I have to replace the passenger side "C" and cannot find anything that says how that should be mounted or X degree in relation to the axle tube.

Thanks.
Because you are only doing one side you will want to match the "C" on the other side. When I was setting up the Dana 44 I used numbers given me by people who had done this before. You want to set the caster of the "C" to work with the planned amount of lift and then how much negative or positive caster is set from the factory. Since you are only doing one side you will want to make sure the new "C" is the same as the stock "C" on the other side. If you were replacing both "C"s then you would set it based on the differential and how much lift you planned on running.

Wow how did I miss this thread! Great build and implementation. I like how you figured out what you wanted and went for it. It might be actually harder to keep the 65wms, which is great for my LJ and get the extra caster that is required.

Reactions: Wildman
Wow how did I miss this thread! Great build and implementation. I like how you figured out what you wanted and went for it. It might be actually harder to keep the 65wms, which is great for my LJ and get the extra caster that is required.

I'm 61" wms and 74" outside tire with my 38" TSL SX tires mounted on recentered Hummer wheels. I was trying to keep it as narrow as I could.

Wouldnt it had been easier to subtract the length of the axles shaft shafts from the length of the wagoneer shafts ....was your high pinion out of 76 to 77 f150 ?

Wouldnt it had been easier to subtract the length of the axles shaft shafts from the length of the wagoneer shafts ....was your high pinion out of 76 to 77 f150 ?

It was a bare housing so I didn't have any stock shafts to compare or measure against. The measurements I go were from a thread on Pirate and the NAXJA forum. The information was solid so I just went with it.

I honestly don't know what year Ford it came from or even if the seller listed that information. I was only worried that it was a bare housing and that it didn't have the cast radius arm mounts.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Mike,
Yes I guess you could cut the tube take out how ever much you need to and then weld the tube back together. Without a sleeve on the inside of the tube I would not trust it but I am not a certified welder so I could be wrong. All the writeups and video's I had ever seen showed that you should remove the "C" and then remove the required amount and weld the "C" back on.

Now in the TV show Extreme 4x4 Ian was using Chevy 14bolt axles for both ends of a buggy. When he was building the front 14bolt he sleeved the axle tube on the long side and welded the two sections of tube back together. But then he also added a truss to the front axle that covered the area that was sleeved and welded.

i talked to some folks about narrowing my Jk rear axle. lots of local race teams that do a lot of axle customizing.
i asked how'd thy go about it, and was told they just cut out a section and move the ends in, jig it up and weld it.
this made me skeptical and i asked, he said they dump the clutch on 600HP+ engines and never had 1 fail. it's standard practice to them.

A variation of this method works well for correcting caster on a scout front end. Drill out spot welds (or torch but be careful you dont wreck the axle seal surface), then while is hot, hit the inner c to turn the whole tube in the housing. It turns fairly easy while the housing is warm. This is the quickest and easiest way to get caster in a scout 44 we have done.

Any reason this would work on scout and not a Ford HP44? Id like a 65wms HP44 but I would need to clock the C's.

i talked to some folks about narrowing my Jk rear axle. lots of local race teams that do a lot of axle customizing.
i asked how'd thy go about it, and was told they just cut out a section and move the ends in, jig it up and weld it.
this made me skeptical and i asked, he said they dump the clutch on 600HP+ engines and never had 1 fail. it's standard practice to them.

Yes I'm sure it is very doable and isn't a problem. The idea wasn't around when I did mine and to be honest I would have still done it the way I did. But doesn't mean others can't do their axles how they want.

Any reason this would work on scout and not a Ford HP44? Id like a 65wms HP44 but I would need to clock the C's.

The main reason would be that the Scout Dana 44 is a passenger side drop and you need a drivers side drop. If you want a 65" wms then find a Ford axle and narrow it to that measurement.
I can't tell you how much to remove to get that measurement but I'm sure it can be figured out very easy.

Old post but I'm in the process of narrowing a hp ford 44 with the radius arm knobs. I pressed out the old tubes, cut the long side to press back in for the short side and bought a new tube and had it machined for the seal. I was going to use Scout II inner axles until I saw this post. The waggy axles seem like a better way to go.

Reactions: Wildman
Old post but I'm in the process of narrowing a hp ford 44 with the radius arm knobs. I pressed out the old tubes, cut the long side to press back in for the short side and bought a new tube and had it machined for the seal. I was going to use Scout II inner axles until I saw this post. The waggy axles seem like a better way to go.

I don't know what the lengths of a Scout axle shaft are so I can't say on which is better. The Waggy axles get you to 61.5" wms if that is what you are shooting for.

If you have other questions let me know. it was my first attempt at something like
Hey Wildman I've gotta question. What did you do for your steering? I just installed a low pinion Dana 44 out of a 85 grand wagoneer and can't seem to find a solid answer on the best route to go.