How-To: No-Drill Garmin Navigation Dash Mount for Wrangler TJ/LJ

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Supporting Member
Area Code 605 USA & Código de área 415 MX
Project Goal: Simple, vibration free dash-top mount for Garmin Drive series navigation unit that requires no drilling into the dash or trim pieces.

Secondary Goal: Invent something useful during the Coronavirus lockdown with materials already on hand and using basic caveman tools.

Acknowledgements:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/no-drill-no-cut-ram-cell-phone-mount-bracket.26473/https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/anyone-ever-tried-one-of-these-phone-holders.21100/https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ter-console-for-navigation.36478/#post-603430

Materials:

Aluminum angle - 1" x 1" x 1/8" x 4 1/2" long

16 gauge steel - 1 1/2" x 3 1/4"

17mm aluminum ball machined for 6mm stud (graciously donated by TackForm.com)

6mm-12 socket head set screw

6mm-12 button head cap screw

2 ea. - 6mm "whiz nuts"

Fabrication:

The process is simple. Cut the pieces square, then use a hacksaw, file and sandpaper to shape. Drill as necessary, bolt together, paint. Install with the factory screws for the center bezel.

Notes:

The shape of the center bezel will only allow the upright piece to be 1 3/4" wide. I made mine 1 1/2" wide to allow for easier fitment. If you are using an AMPS pattern or AMPS plate you will want the upright to be the full 1 3/4" wide but I am using a 17 mm ball so didn't need the width.

The height of the 12 ga. steel piece depends upon what you are mounting. The upper hole on mine brings the bottom of my Garmin unit to the top edge of the dash tray. The lower hole allows the Garmin unit to rest on the dash tray. My observation is that the dash is not engineered to keep a mount steady against vibration without substantial modifications which are beyond the scope of a simple "no drill" navigation mount. By allowing the Garmin unit to rest on the dash tray there is no vibration at all. I never put anything in that tray so I have lost no utility. Call it done.

You will want to drill the hole for the fastener joining the two pieces together as high as possible so that it clears the defroster vent cover and center bezel. I used a button head cap screw on the center bezel side and ground down the nut on the windshield side after using a drop of locktite to be sure it never moves.

TJ Wrangler No Drill Garmin Dash Mount 2 June 2020.jpg
TJ Wrangler No Drill Garmin Dash Mount June 2020.jpg
Garmin Mount Ready for Install.jpg
TJ Wrangler Center Bezel with Garmin Navigation and inReach Explorer also Ham and CB Radios Ju...jpg

And in case you are wondering, the Garmin inReach Explorer+ is mounted on a Garmin P/N 010-12525-00 powered mount and Panavise P/N 75122-303 in dash cellular phone mount, which can also be used for ham radio faceplates, gps units, etc.

inReach mounted 06 03 2020.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. I may steel it. Just had the dash apart 5000 times fabricating a new switch panel under the radio. Was looking at ways to attach an iPad like the JK guys.
how do you like the Garmin? I was looking at the inReach mini for fathers day

Really nice - I like the clean install without hacking up the dash. Once I saw how big the gap in the plastic panels was back there I had to try it. Glad it's working for yours too!

Reactions: Chris
hows the vibration on yours? Mine with the RAM mount would vibrate a little at different RPMs, but I just mount it so the phone is pressed down onto the dash and it doesn't vibrate at all. The RAM mount sticks out a lot further though.

The top of the center portion of dash isn't built to support something several inches tall and the weight of a phone or gps screwed in at a 90* angle. its just plastic layered with a single piece of thin sheet metal that provides a place to affix the center bezel.

For this reason I think it will be difficult to design a "no drill/no cut" mount that won't vibrate if the gps unit isn't supported by the tray on the top of the dash. Using the tray as a support makes the gps rock solid - zero vibration.

Note the upper hole in my mount. That suspends the gps unit but introduces some vibration. I might experiment by sliding a small piece of 18 ga. galvanized steel into the dash center top support for a second steel layer in the plastic/metal sandwich described above, but I think the real solution is to form the mount from a single piece of 16 ga. steel in a way that creates four attachment points rather than two. I made a template from cardboard, but that design does require drilling two holes into the dash center top support and a CNC machine and metal brake,

My current mount is still "in testing."

Update 6/23/20:

I have now tested the bracket over several days of offroading in addition to many street and highway miles.

My conclusion is that the bracket/mount works very well and is rock solid when the lower edge of the Garmin unit is resting on the dash tray and that the factor introducing the most movement/vibration is the 17mm ball itself (or 1" ball in the case of RAM mounts).

Vibration and movement should be reduced at any mounting height by use of a "X" or cradle mount that does not employ a ball, but for my purposes resting the unit on the dash tray for stability works fine, and the lower mounting location doesn't impair the driver's or passenger's vision through the windshield. For this reason I doubt I will go to the expense of acquiring a cradle mount to experiment with.

I did not try this because I wanted my Garmin mounted as low as possible on the top of the dash, but a slightly taller mount (1/2"?) would allow drilling for one of these, which uses the Garmin 17mm ball, but it is not an articulating ball so no vibration or movement from that. The downside is that the Garmin unit will be in a fixed position, not adjustable for Driver preference, and it will be closer to the windshield by about 1 3/4". The upside is that it is only $6.99:

81o984zmofL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

RAM Mount RAM-HOL-GA22U Plastic Cradle for Garmin StreetPilot

Materials List Correction: Post #1 incorrectly lists the aluminum angle as 1/8" thick. That will be too thick for sandwiching with a piece of 16 ga. steel for the upright and fitting the bracket between center bezel and defroster vent cover. I used 1/16" aluminum angle and 16 ga. (1/16") scrap steel. The total thickness is 1/8"

Project Goal: Simple, vibration free dash-top mount for Garmin Drive series navigation unit that requires no drilling into the dash or trim pieces.

Secondary Goal: Invent something useful during the Coronavirus lockdown with materials already on hand and using basic caveman tools.

View attachment 169428
I keep thinking about a phone mount where you have the radio's at the top of the windshield. Any ideals on a mount that would work in that spot easy? Have a few hundred feet of Aluminum angle and flat bar.

There are lots of magnetic phone mounts. I'm sure one of those will stick to the Arizona Rocky Road overhead radio mount in a convenient spot. If you don't have that radio mount it should be relatively easy to fabricate something from steel angle or rectangular tube, using the exiting holes in the sports bar.

Reactions: tnpete

Acknowledgements:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/no-drill-no-cut-ram-cell-phone-mount-bracket.26473/https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/anyone-ever-tried-one-of-these-phone-holders.21100/https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ter-console-for-navigation.36478/#post-603430

What a great little addition, and a great covid-quarantine project. Did you enjoy the process enough that you'd be interested in mailing me one for a fee? (Only half-joking.)

Acknowledgements:

Materials:

Aluminum angle - 1" x 1" x 1/8" x 4 1/2" long

16 gauge steel - 1 1/2" x 3 1/4"

17mm aluminum ball machined for 6mm stud (graciously donated by TackForm.com)

6mm-12 socket head set screw

6mm-12 button head cap screw

2 ea. - 6mm "whiz nuts"

Fabrication:

The process is simple. Cut the pieces square, then use a hacksaw, file and sandpaper to shape. Drill as necessary, bolt together, paint. Install with the factory screws for the center bezel.

Notes:

The shape of the center bezel will only allow the upright piece to be 1 3/4" wide. I made mine 1 1/2" wide to allow for easier fitment. If you are using an AMPS pattern or AMPS plate you will want the upright to be the full 1 3/4" wide but I am using a 17 mm ball so didn't need the width.

The height of the 12 ga. steel piece depends upon what you are mounting. The upper hole on mine brings the bottom of my Garmin unit to the top edge of the dash tray. The lower hole allows the Garmin unit to rest on the dash tray. My observation is that the dash is not engineered to keep a mount steady against vibration without substantial modifications which are beyond the scope of a simple "no drill" navigation mount. By allowing the Garmin unit to rest on the dash tray there is no vibration at all. I never put anything in that tray so I have lost no utility. Call it done.

You will want to drill the hole for the fastener joining the two pieces together as high as possible so that it clears the defroster vent cover and center bezel. I used a button head cap screw on the center bezel side and ground down the nut on the windshield side after using a drop of locktite to be sure it never moves.

View attachment 169420View attachment 169422View attachment 169427View attachment 169428

And in case you are wondering, the Garmin inReach Explorer+ is mounted on a Garmin P/N 010-12525-00 powered mount and Panavise P/N 75122-303 in dash cellular phone mount, which can also be used for ham radio faceplates, gps units, etc.

View attachment 169429
Do u have a link for the garmin panavise mount?