How to paint the bottom side of the Jeep, restore existing body paint, and protect your wheeler / driver!

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I get asked this question frequently, so let's start a discussion on this topic. To be up front, I'm not a professional painter. However, I've painted a few vehicles, and brought dozens of Jeep undercarriages back to life. What I do may not be "the way", but it has worked very well for me over the last 20+ years. I'll be completely up front and say there is no magic or "secret sauce". This is all about a willingness to do it correctly, not cutting corners.

Whether you'll succeed or fail is dependent on one thing. That is, your end result will equal what you put into the job. This is true of anything we do with our Jeeps, but is especially evident when restoring the bottom of them. As was stated, I'm not saying what I do is best. What I can state is what has repeatedly worked for me.

Over the years I've used several methods, including mixing primers and paints. The one that has been most cost effective, easy, and durable is the following:

1. Disassemble whatever your painting as much as possible - This makes the likelihood of great job much, much higher.
2. Wash and de-grease everything you'll paint - If you don't do this, the paint will only come off later.
3. Remove any rust scale - An air scaler works for heavy stuff, as does a grinder with a flap disc (80 and 120 grit). Medium to lighter stuff can be removed with a set of wire wheels/brushes on a drill.
4. Once #3 is done, hand sand and smooth out the surfaces with 120 and 220 sandpaper.
5. Dust everything off and wipe down with mineral spirits.
6. Any rusty areas get Rust-Oleum "Rust Reformer" (don't use this on non-rusty surfaces)
7. Any bare metal gets Rust-Oleum "Self Etching Primer"
8. Any surfaces that have been covered with "Rust Reformer", or that have existing sanded paint, get Krylon "Rust Preventative Primer"
9. Once the above is done, cover with Krylon "Satin Enamel" - I use Krylon, because it dries fast (8-10 minutes) and is very durable.
10. Follow up with touch up coats as needed.

Here's an example of what you get when you follow this procedure
JK7J71d.jpg

tYcl13m.jpg

Beyond the frame, the same principle applies everywhere else
5uJrZyI.jpg

EwJes1L.jpg

More to come on some tools and methods!

Last edited:
Planning on painting my frame/undercarriage/axles in the summer. What is the difference between doing this on the frame and putting POR-15 on the frame? Any advantages/disadvantages of either one? And for the inside of the frame did you just use fluid film? Also did you just paint the bottom of the tub with the same satin black?

What is the difference between doing this on the frame and putting POR-15 on the frame?
This is a picture from @Alex01, but I end up with similar damage. Doing touch up work is a little more effort, and expensive, with POR 15. I touch up anything that needs it after every wheeling trip. For this reason alone I use the items noted. Like I said when this thread started, my way isn't "the way", but I've got it down to a routine at this point.

20220424_164616-jpg.325727

And for the inside of the frame did you just use fluid film? Also did you just paint the bottom of the tub with the same satin black?
I've used Fluid Film (FF), but prefer Eastwood's internal frame coating. Four reasons for my use of Eastwood are:

1. My Jeeps are always garaged when not in use
2. Once you use FF, you really can't go back (cleaning it out sufficiently to paint is almost impossible)
3. If you get it on external surfaces, painting can be problematic (without proper cleaning you get "fish eyes" in the paint)
4. I can't stand the smell

As for the bottom of the tub, I used to use satin black. Lately, I've switched to using grey primer covered by clear coat. The later cleans up much easier than the black. It just requires a fair amount of work to get it done the first time.

Last edited:
I’ve restored 3 or 4 large smokers (brisket etc I’m. In Texas) and the flap discs are great, but throw a lot of sparks. I’m going to do this on my 05, did you worry about the gas tank at all? Cover or anything? I’m thinking no, but just checking.

Also, I’ve got a 20v battery hand orbital sander , would you ever used something like that instead of hand sanding?

Reactions: Irun
I’ve restored 3 or 4 large smokers (brisket etc I’m. In Texas) and the flap discs are great, but throw a lot of sparks. I’m going to do this on my 05, did you worry about the gas tank at all? Cover or anything? I’m thinking no, but just checking.
I have a welding blanket I use to put around anything that I'm worried about sparks on. These can be bought on Amazon or at Harbor Freight.
Also, I’ve got a 20v battery hand orbital sander , would you ever used something like that instead of hand sanding?
That can be used on the flat areas, but I found it was easier just to just do it by hand. Also, the type of sandpaper matters. Typical paper backed sandpaper rips easily with all the contours on the frame. Cloth backed sandpaper is more durable and effective. It's more expensive, but once you use it, you'll not want to go back to paper.

I have an assortment of this 3M sandpaper in 120, 220, and 320 grit. Generally, I find myself starting with 220 and finishing with the 320. 120 is used only in extremely bad areas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042T3PWU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Roughly how many cans did you need of primer and paint to do the frame?
Generally, two cans of primer and three cans of paint on each side is enough. You likely won't use all the primer, but this depends on how thick you cover the frame. That said, pick up an extra can of each. It sucks to run out in the middle of a job!

This is a nice write up. I am attempting some frame rehab (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/frame-painting-assist-request.64206/). I think I‘ve mostly finished the prep. I hadn’t considered fine sanding, but that could improve things since I did use a 40 grit flap disc in a few pitted areas. For final wipe down before beginning to paint I had thought of using rubbing alcohol to remove any oils but you use mineral spirits? Is that correct?

5. Dust everything off and wipe down with mineral spirits.

I have a little tip to add. It's not mandatory and is likely overkill for rattle canning a frame, but when you're wiping down with a grease remover, wipe in one direction, not back-and-forth or in circles. Wiping in one direction will help get a cleaner surface. Also, it's good to use tack rags. Again, probably overkill here, but mandatory on glossy body paint.

Reactions: 3jeep-mike and Irun