How to Paint Your Fender Flares

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
When I got the 06 TJ from my dad a few months ago, the tired old fender flares were pretty much spent as they'd gotten no cosmetic love since 2006:

Jeep1.png

The faded brown was just looking...well, faded and dated. I really wanted to give them a fresh clean look, and debated between several options for paint, ranging from Plasti-Dip to Krylon Fusion, and even Rustoleum. Each has it's own pros and cons according to others online speaking to cost, how long it lasts, and the look. I ended up going with the Krylon Fusion when I saw it on sale at Ace for $4/can.

The other thing to consider is whether you want to take the flares off entirely or tape and mask them while leaving them on the Jeep.

1. Remove the fender flares

If you take them off, it's likely much easier to get a completely full coat and you run absolutely no risk of overspray getting on your Jeep body. The downside here is that the screws (5/16") are a bitch to get off because of the retention "bolt" on the inside. It does not come off entirely unless you put your hand on it and hold it firmly in place to unthread it.

2. Mask them off

Just like any masking before painting, this part seems rather laborious, and finding the right material to wedge between the backside of the fender flares and the body is tricky. I tried 5x7 index cards but these were too flimsy. I tried manila folders as well, and these seemed to work a little better. Ultimately, I ended up with a combination of blue painters tape, manila folders and some left over cardboard paper from when I was remodeling the kitchen that had been used to cover the counters.

The trick here is that you still want to get down and at least loosen the screws a little bit so you can wedge the masking material between the flares and the body.

Okay, the above all said, here's the process I followed:

Step 1 - Took the Jeep outside and got some hot soapy water and scrubbed the fender flares to remove any dirt and grime from road and off-road usage.

Step 2 - Loosen fender flare screws and mask off with your preferred method

masked 1.jpg

masked 2.jpg

Step 3: Spray your paint of choice (in my case, the Krylon Fusion) lightly and evenly across the flares. Don't make the mistake of shaking the can in between sprays! The paint is goopy and has a tendency to fly everywhere. You may also want to wear gloves to protect your hands, unless you're ok with using Goof Off or paint thinner on your skin!

hand 1.jpg

After you've painted one coats worth, wait at least 15 minutes to let it dry, then apply a second coat to help even things out, and for an extra layer of protection/thickness.

painted 1.jpg

Repeat for the other side of the Jeep.

Once the paint has dried, don't forget to go back and tighten down the screws on all four flares so they don't rattle around. It's unlikely they will actually unthread and fall off, but jeeps are already notoriously noisy, so why add more noise?

Final results:

fender-flare-before-after.png

hand 2.jpg

painted 2.jpg

Thanks - was putting this together as sort of a How To guide....for some reason the "after" pics from my phone are a bit blurry. I may re-shoot them with a decent camera! LOL :)

I used the index cards, and a piece of cardboard as a spray shield. I used krylon satin black plastic paint. It was a half- assed way of doing it, and I had to buff out the over sprayed paint in two places, but it ended up coming out pretty good.

Reactions: CBJason
The real question is, did you prep them? I'd use some 2500-3000 grit sand paper (or a grey scotch brite pad) to scuff them up really, really good. That will of course be the key to making the paint stick and last a long time.

If you just sprayed it on there, then you can pretty much count on it not staying on for very long.

I will say however, it totally brings the Jeep back to life!

They were already scuffed up quite a bit so decided to bypass that step. If it fades or comes off as a result of not sanding I have another can for 2 more coats in reserve! :)

I shoulda mentioned that as a prep step.

Reactions: Chris
I painted mine awhile back. Masked everything off really well, and scuffed them up good. It made my Jeep look 100% better. I did all the trim pieces, not only the flares. Looks brand spankin' new!

Has anyone tried a heat gun to refurbish?
I understand painting for a new color but I heard a torch or heat gun will bring them back and get rid of the dry stuff that makes them look faded. I want to try this but I'll have to buy a heat gun, so I've put it off lol

Has anyone tried a heat gun to refurbish?
I understand painting for a new color but I heard a torch or heat gun will bring them back and get rid of the dry stuff that makes them look faded. I want to try this but I'll have to buy a heat gun, so I've put it off lol
A buddy of mine swears by the heat gun method. I have seen his flares, and personally I think a nice paint job yields much better results.

When I got the 06 TJ from my dad a few months ago, the tired old fender flares were pretty much spent as they'd gotten no cosmetic love since 2006:

View attachment 6005

The faded brown was just looking...well, faded and dated. I really wanted to give them a fresh clean look, and debated between several options for paint, ranging from Plasti-Dip to Krylon Fusion, and even Rustoleum. Each has it's own pros and cons according to others online speaking to cost, how long it lasts, and the look. I ended up going with the Krylon Fusion when I saw it on sale at Ace for $4/can.

The other thing to consider is whether you want to take the flares off entirely or tape and mask them while leaving them on the Jeep.

If you take them off, it's likely much easier to get a completely full coat and you run absolutely no risk of overspray getting on your Jeep body. The downside here is that the screws (5/16") are a bitch to get off because of the retention "bolt" on the inside. It does not come off entirely unless you put your hand on it and hold it firmly in place to unthread it.

2. Mask them off

Just like any masking before painting, this part seems rather laborious, and finding the right material to wedge between the backside of the fender flares and the body is tricky. I tried 5x7 index cards but these were too flimsy. I tried manila folders as well, and these seemed to work a little better. Ultimately, I ended up with a combination of blue painters tape, manila folders and some left over cardboard paper from when I was remodeling the kitchen that had been used to cover the counters.

The trick here is that you still want to get down and at least loosen the screws a little bit so you can wedge the masking material between the flares and the body.

Step 1 - Took the Jeep outside and got some hot soapy water and scrubbed the fender flares to remove any dirt and grime from road and off-road usage.

View attachment 6006

View attachment 6007

Step 3: Spray your paint of choice (in my case, the Krylon Fusion) lightly and evenly across the flares. Don't make the mistake of shaking the can in between sprays! The paint is goopy and has a tendency to fly everywhere. You may also want to wear gloves to protect your hands, unless you're ok with using Goof Off or paint thinner on your skin!

View attachment 6008

After you've painted one coats worth, wait at least 15 minutes to let it dry, then apply a second coat to help even things out, and for an extra layer of protection/thickness.

View attachment 6010

Once the paint has dried, don't forget to go back and tighten down the screws on all four flares so they don't rattle around. It's unlikely they will actually unthread and fall off, but jeeps are already notoriously noisy, so why add more noise?

Final results:

View attachment 6012

View attachment 6009

View attachment 6011
I was wondering how this was holding up after a couple years?

I Was planning to do the Krylon touch on my flares that were already off.
With prep how long will they last?

looking for the long term not just dyed retouches...

View attachment 6005

2. Mask them off

View attachment 6006

View attachment 6007

View attachment 6008

View attachment 6010

Final results:

View attachment 6012

View attachment 6009

View attachment 6011
Hey can I ask what type if fusion paint did you use? The Matt finish? Or did you use gloss?

Hey can I ask what type if fusion paint did you use? The Matt finish? Or did you use gloss?
OP was last seen 2 years ago. I don't think he will see your post. But from the pictures, it looks like matte. I'd go with satin or matte if I were you. Either will look good, your choice.

OP was last seen 2 years ago. I don't think he will see your post. But from the pictures, it looks like matte. I'd go with satin or matte if I were you. Either will look good, your choice.
O wow, I wish I knew what both would look like. I'm also trying to do the mirrors. I wonder if matte or satin would look better.

I used s 3M pad, then washed with soap and water (twice), let thoroughly dry then a final wipe down with acetone. Sprayed using plastic paint (3 thin coats)

O wow, I wish I knew what both would look like. I'm also trying to do the mirrors. I wonder if matte or satin would look better.
Personally I would go with satin, just to give it a little bit of shine. You may be able to find other picture threads with people showing their painted flares using the search bar (the google version works much better). If not, you could always start a new thread asking people to post up pictures of how theirs came out and what they used.

I kind of want to try this, but with something rubberized like plasti-dip. I have had great results with the product. I sprayed a set of grilles on a silverado and jetta with good results. It looks fresh, and if you do it right it lasts at least 5 years. The stuff also can be freshened up with back to black or other trim restore products.

OP here - I have been gone a while because about two years ago I

(cringing)....

Sold the Jeep 😥😥😥

Didnt feel I had any right to stick around. it’s a long story including a move, some financial stuff and family crises, but to answer the question, yes it was a matte finish

OP here - I have been gone a while because about two years ago I

(cringing)....

Sold the Jeep 😥😥😥

Didnt feel I had any right to stick around. it’s a long story including a move, some financial stuff and family crises, but to answer the question, yes it was a matte finish
You've got every right to stick around! Hell, Chris has probably sold more TJ's than you and he's a moderator! 😂

Looks great! For those debating painting or buying new, if you buy new please don't waste your money on the cheap eBay crap like I did. Not even close to fitting and was a waste of $60 and time. They're double the cost at a whopping $120 but these OMIX ones from Quadratec fit perfectly and look great.