How to Paint Your Fender Flares

does the paint do pretty well at filling in the texture of the factory flares? Or does that need to be scuffed off? Or painted, then sanded (is this stuff sandable?)? I'm thinking of buying the Rubi-width Rough Country flares, but I want them painted black like a factory Rubicon flare would be because I figure the textured gray is gonna end up looking just like my factory flares eventually.

Is Krylon fusion still the paint-du-jour for plastic? I see a lot of stuff from SEM but a lot if it seems to be marketed toward interior panels so I don't know how well it holds up in the outdoors. They also use all sorts of primers and adhesion promoters and I've never painted plastic so I don't even know where to start.

does the paint do pretty well at filling in the texture of the factory flares? Or does that need to be scuffed off? Or painted, then sanded (is this stuff sandable?)? I'm thinking of buying the Rubi-width Rough Country flares, but I want them painted black like a factory Rubicon flare would be because I figure the textured gray is gonna end up looking just like my factory flares eventually.

Is Krylon fusion still the paint-du-jour for plastic? I see a lot of stuff from SEM but a lot if it seems to be marketed toward interior panels so I don't know how well it holds up in the outdoors. They also use all sorts of primers and adhesion promoters and I've never painted plastic so I don't even know where to start.

I used SEM on mine (Graphite) last spring. Good prep, up to 1200 wet sand, wash with dawn, rinse and let dry, spray adhesion promoter, two coats of SEM.

It has held up well. The jeep lives outside, so they have been in the rain, sun, snow etc. , interstate driving at 80 mph. No chips, flakes, fading or gender confusion.

I'll get a couple pics when I get home, but they look as good as the day I did it. SEM is some good stuff

I just finished painting some new OEM-style flares. I didn’t want black and have had good experience with SEM Color Coat.

My process:
Simple green and gray scuff pad
No sanding
Adhesion promoter
Color Coat, 2-3 coats
BA791DC8-B570-49E0-9CB3-9921CC787C3E.jpeg
F14CEC6C-8555-457C-84CF-69F12EC0CF6D.jpeg