How to press out upper control arm bushing?

AZ2CO98tj

as the title states. what is the best/ easiest way you gurus have found to press out the old upper control arm bushing on top of the differential (driver side). i have tried PB blaster and heat combined with a ball joint press but no dice! figured i might as well put a new one in since im installing my curried kit! any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

picture for clarification

1.jpg

The easiest way is an actual press... the stand up kind you see in most shops. Without that, could you just take a reciprocating saw (sawzall) to it and cut it out?

Last one I replaced I drilled a bunch of holes in the rubber until it could be knocked out, then a hammer and chisel to deform the sleeve until it came out. Pita but it worked.

i soaked the bushing in pb blaster last night. will see if i can press it out one last time before attempting the sawzall method. thanks guys!

Reactions: Dawghouse
for the control arms i have the 20 ton harbor freight press. best 175 i have ever spent.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html

use a 20% off coupon. it will work on everything. except the axle housing bushings. but u-joints, are a breeze. ring and pinion gear changes are easy. it is probably the best thing i have bought for my shop.

https://jalopnik.com/watching-this-guy-remove-a-bushing-with-a-drill-is-comp-1792350133

Might be a pain if the axle is still under the jeep. In the past Ive drilled a ton of holes into it until I could finally whack it out with a hammer. A PITA as someone already said.

That’s awesome

Although I have 8 that all appear to have the bushings in tack in the Control Arms I’m not looking forward to doing this eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: AZ2CO98tj
A piece of pipe just larger than the flange of the bushing, with a piece of plate steel across the open end
for the control arms i have the 20 ton harbor freight press. best 175 i have ever spent.

use a 20% off coupon. it will work on everything. except the axle housing bushings. but u-joints, are a breeze. ring and pinion gear changes are easy. it is probably the best thing i have bought for my shop.
I bought one for changing out some Subaru axle bearings last summer. Had some deal where I ended up paying $149, if I recall. Was thoroughly impressed with how it performed. Opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. A recommended purchase, for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and AZ2CO98tj
thanks all who replied. was able to use a saw zall with a diablo rescue blade to cut the protruding side of the bushing in half. this helped me push out the center support and then went to town with a baby sledge and a socket to push out the rest of the bushing! was a little time consuming but i got er done. thanks for all the suggestions

i am going to purchase a shop press today to start pressing in my johnny joints. we will see how that goes. i can count the numerous times i cursed about needing a press! time to bite the bullet and invest

Reactions: nolander

X2 on the HF press. I have used mine more than I thought I would. It's typical HF quality so I wouldn't try and apply its max pressure to anything. For bearing and bushings, though, it does great. The only thing I would recommend with it is a better set of arbor plates. The ones that come with it are pretty cheap.

Reactions: AZ2CO98tj
I have this to do this weekend. Would I just remove one arm at a time or both? Also, Are the axel bushings the same as the uppers for the front and back? I have some arms that need new bushings as well.

I have this to do this weekend. Would I just remove one arm at a time or both? Also, Are the axel bushings the same as the uppers for the front and back? I have some arms that need new bushings as well.

If replacing all control arms, one at a time is the easiest I find. If stock arms, then its easier to just buy new control arms from RockAuto at $25 a piece. Axle bushings IIRC are the same uppers front and rear. However the lowers front and rear are different. I think its easiest to use a ball joint press to remove the axle bushing, though drilling out the rubber works too.

Reactions: Brad W
when all else fails get a bigger hammer
That is how I do it. A few well placed smacks with a big hammer to get it to move and they typically come right out after that. You have to hit it hard enough to compress the rubber element and get to the bushing shell and not fold the shell outwards over the hole it sits in. I'm pretty good with a hammer though.