How to properly check the transmission fluid level on your 30RH, 32RH, or 42RLE Jeep Wrangler TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Thought I would make a FAQ about this since it comes up from time to time. While the procedure is outlined in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and most likely the owner's manual (haven't checked on the latter, can someone confirm?), the question comes up from time-to-time, and most people erroneously assume that you can check the fluid level with the vehicle off. This is of course incorrect. Here's the proper way to do it based on which transmission you have (Don't know which transmission you have? See this thread.)

30RH
The 30RH has to be warmed up and shifted into Neutral with the engine running so the ATF pump will run and give an accurate ATF level. The 30RH can't be checked in Park since it's transmission pump doesn't run in Park.

32RH
The 32RH is the same as the 30RH in that it has to be warmed up and shifted into Neutral with the engine running so the ATF pump will run and give an accurate ATF level. The 32RH also can't be checked in Park since it's transmission pump doesn't run in Park.

42RLE
You can check the 42RLE automatic when it's in Park or Neutral, as it's transmission pump runs in both.

Thought I would make a FAQ about this since it comes up from time to time. While the procedure is outlined in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and most likely the owner's manual (haven't checked on the latter, can someone confirm?), the question comes up from time-to-time, and most people erroneously assume that you can check the fluid level with the vehicle off. This is of course incorrect. Here's the proper way to do it based on which transmission you have (Don't know which transmission you have? See this thread.)

32RH
The 32RH has to be warmed up and shifted into Neutral with the engine running so the ATF pump will run and give an accurate ATF level. The 32RH can't be checked in Park since it's transmission pump doesn't run in Park.

42RLE
You can check the 42RLE automatic when it's in Park or Neutral, as it's transmission pump runs in both.
1999 Owner's Manual - warmed up to normal operating temperature (manual notes that at normal operating temperature the dipstick cannot be comfortably held between the fingertips) Cycle transmission through all ranges. Place in Neutral, not Park. Fluid level should be within the cross hatched area on dipstick. Manual calls for ATF+3 or ATF+3 Type 7176.

Reactions: Dawghouse and Chris
1999 Owner's Manual - warmed up to normal operating temperature (manual notes that at normal operating temperature the dipstick cannot be comfortably held between the fingertips) Cycle transmission through all ranges. Place in Neutral, not Park. Fluid level should be within the cross hatched area on dipstick. Manual calls for ATF+3 or ATF+3 Type 7176.

Thanks for that! Mine surprisingly didn’t come with an owners manual, otherwise I would have copied it straight from there. That excerpt is obviously for the 32RH.

Now if we can get someone with a 42RLE owners manual.

Thanks for that! Mine surprisingly didn’t come with an owners manual, otherwise I would have copied it straight from there. That excerpt is obviously for the 32RH.

Now if we can get someone with a 42RLE owners manual.
That's why I included the model year. I don't do automatics, unless I have to. And, you're welcome!

Reactions: Chris
I don't have the owners manual as well and have a 5 spd trans, AX 15. Do I have to bring it up to normal operating temp before I can check the level at the trans fill plug?

AX-15 - 1997-1999
* 5 speed manual
* Used with 6 cyl models
* 10 spline input
* 23 spline output

I don't have the owners manual as well and have a 5 spd trans, AX 15. Do I have to bring it up to normal operating temp before I can check the level at the trans fill plug?

AX-15 - 1997-1999
* 5 speed manual
* Used with 6 cyl models
* 10 spline input
* 23 spline output

Nope. Just sitting level and check it.

Reactions: Chris
image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi all, this is the excerpt from the Wrangler operationing information, printed in 2004 for the 42RLE 4 speed auto.

My 2006 says run till hot then idle for at least 60 secs. Then set p brake run thru gears ending in P then check. But the dipstick talks about adding fluid while in neutral. Of course all on level surface. Don’t remember exactly what dipstick says.

Sorry to bump multiple threads...I'm trying to figure out a P0218 code and right now I'm thinking I maybe need to start with adding ATF+4. When I checked the fluid level, the line stopped right at the first notch/hole of the hot side.

Can I just add follow the process the check the fluid while running at normal engine temps, but instead just keep adding fluid and taking level readings with dipstick until I get it where I want it? If so, do I want it right in the middle of the two "hot" notches/holes? Or closer to the far hole on the hot side? I only have 1 quart on hand currently

Everything I have read on the forum says atf+4. I may have put the wrong trans fluid in my jeep last year. Are we sure about this?

Per @mrblaine the 32rh requires ATF+4. Thanks for giving me a heart attack. 😉 lol.