How to protect your carpet and seats this weekend

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
I had a mess happen on my LJ carpet while in storage (it was gross, I don't want to talk about it...) and I was able to clean and keep the carpet. I contribute that to previously applying protectant to the carpet. It can all be done in a single weekend with only a few hours of actual work, depending on how dirty they start.

—-

Continuing my series of fixes and improvements that anyone can do, I previously talked about:

1) How to make your MML work amazingly in 1 evening https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-make-your-mml-work-amazingly-in-1-evening.19856/
2) How to be amazed by your suspension https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-be-amazed-by-your-suspension.21588/

—-

There's a few things that I want to protect my seats and carpet from: UV rays from the sun, spilled food, dirt, and life's bleachable events.

Before protecting, I removed the carpet and seats — you can also leave the seats in if you'd rather. I thoroughly vacuumed, and washed the seats and carpet. I used a combination of a garden hose, gentle pressure washing, dawn dish soap to strip oils and dirt from the carpet, and a carpet cleaner with a wand attachment for the seats. Make sure any soap or cleaning product is fully removed and allow everything to dry overnight before moving on to protecting.

This sludge and sediment came out of these 14 year old seats:

To protect, I am using 303 Fabric Guard for outdoor fabrics on both the carpet and seats. One 32oz bottle was just enough to get the job done on a TJ. Yes, this stuff isn't natural and probably isn't great for you, but neither is having nasty seats or carpet. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Spray in a crosshatch pattern for full coverage.

With the carpet still removed and spread out in my yard I sprayed the protectant doing 2 applications to each piece. The seats are easier to spray if they are removed from the Jeep.

After everything is dry go ahead and reinstall.

The protectant beads up spills and allows you to wipe messes off your fabric seats off with a wet rag.

Enjoy having a floor that you can eat off of!

I have the same little “steam” cleaner I think ...it will hurt your feelings when you see what comes out.

You 303 guys need to check out the touchless sealant they just came out with.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Dang, Chris was a nasty MF'r...

I power washed my carpet last years, it's surprising how dirty "clean" carpets can be. I may give this a go sometime this summer.

You're lucky you can't smell the stench of BO and sunscreen coming from that bucket. I thought they were clean before and never expected so much to come out of them.

Tell us about your steam cleaner?

Mine is a Bissell Big Green Professional Carpet Cleaner Machine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00450U6CS/?tag=wranglerorg-20 It's not a steam cleaner, but it's removed everything I've asked it to. It's a large unit to store but it's awesome with pets. The cleaning shampoos that they sell work great since they chemically break down junk into a liquid that can be sucked up.

Last edited:
You 303 guys need to check out the touchless sealant they just came out with.

Thanks to you mentioning it, I tried the touchless sealant today. At least for day 1 works great! Super duper easy too. We have a fall trip coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm curious to see if this makes clean up any easier.

Wet before:
IMG_20190914_143243.jpg

Wet after:
IMG_20190914_150352.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
It does . It stays cleaner longer too.

I use it on my dirt bike also.

It last as long as wax if not longer it seems .

Reactions: toximus
I removed and pressure washed all the carpets in my jeep last year, let them fully dry and reinstalled them. Took the Jeep for a drive and spilled a milkshake on the carpet within an hour of installing them

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
I removed and pressure washed all the carpets in my jeep last year, let them fully dry and reinstalled them. Took the Jeep for a drive and spilled a milkshake on the carpet within an hour of installing them
Rocking to Justin Bieber up there I bet.