How to re-gear your TJ axles

hosejockey61

FAFO
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
How to re-gear your Jeep TJ axles. I tried to keep this video as short as possible while still showing the main points of a re-gear. This video was made with the assumption that the person watching it has the basic understanding of the tools needed as well as some mechanical ability. For detailed gearing information, I would recommend reading the Billavista Gear Bible.

How to re-gear your Jeep TJ axles. I tried to keep this video as short as possible while still showing the main points of a re-gear. This video was made with the assumption that the person watching it has the basic understanding of the tools needed as well as some mechanical ability. For detailed gearing information, I would recommend reading the Billavista Gear Bible.

That is by far the best video I have seen on the subject.

This video is awesome!

Reactions: hosejockey61
F

You said the oil baffle goes on behind the pinion race so does it get sandwiched between the race and the housing? Also I pulled shims out from in between the gear side pinion race and the housing which side of the baffle do I put the shims on?

The thickness of the oil baffle and oil slinger is greater than the depth shims i took off of the inner pinion race. do i just use both and see how the pattern is? if the pinion is to deep is there a preferred one to leave out?

So when the manufacture installs the pinion, they select a slinger of the needed thickness to accomplish the correct pinion depth. I have slingers of various thickness that have come out of stock setups. On my video, I had that exact problem where the combined thickness of the slinger and baffle was too deep. I'm my case I was able to change it out. I've had that happen to me before when I was learning gears on my own rig. I've left a slinger out once and a baffle out once with no ill effects. YMMV.

I always try to re-use the thick factory master shims if possible and keep them to the outside. If they are to thick and I can't swap side to side, then my shim stack will be the thickest to the outside, second thickest to the inside, and the thin ones sandwiched in between. The key is to start them stacked perfectly with each other. The pressure usually keeps them close the rest of the way. If you have a thin shim start to separate from the others then just pull everything and start again. Long tedious frustrating work.

Reactions: Brianj5600
I have the best luck putting the carrier and the shims in all at the same time. The second the carrier goes in more than the shim stacks, i usually pull it back out. Like hose jockey said, thick shims on the outside.

I have the best luck putting the carrier and the shims in all at the same time. The second the carrier goes in more than the shim stacks, i usually pull it back out. Like hose jockey said, thick shims on the outside.
Yeah I should have clarified that the carrier and shims go in at the same time.

I have done quite a few over the last 30 or so years, but they are pretty spread out. I get good at juggling the carrier, shims and races and then not do another for a few year. Thanks for the tip.

I have done quite a few over the last 30 or so years, but they are pretty spread out. I get good at juggling the carrier, shims and races and then not do another for a few year. Thanks for the tip.

I hate doing gears with the axles under the jeep without a lift. If its at chest height or above, Its pretty easy to get the carrier and shims in. If im not on a lift I usually pull the housing and put it on saw horses so I can use gravity to my advantage.