How to rear seat from 2006 LJ with broken seat cable?

Drafthorse

I have searched here as well as the interwebz and can not find a clear direction on how to remove my LJ's rear seat. The left cable is broken and I can't figure out how to get the seat out so I can replace the cable unit.
Is there a way to remove the seat with out folding the back down first or does the seat need to be folded before the seat can be removed.
TIA for the help!
John

My TJ isn't near me at the moment, but I believe you'll need to get a screwdriver in there and pry back the latch mechanism that that cable pulls up on when you pull the handle.

Thanks Chris.
A pic of where this is would be helpful. It seems that the seat back folds from an area in the seat back. I cant see anything there that would release the back. I do get the right side to release, but again, I can't see any release mechanism in operation.

Thanks Chris.
A pic of where this is would be helpful. It seems that the seat back folds from an area in the seat back. I cant see anything there that would release the back. I do get the right side to release, but again, I can't see any release mechanism in operation.
Hello, did you ever get this working? My right side cable is broken and I can't figure out how to use a screwdriver or remove the fabric to get to the mechanism

I lifted the rear cover, on the seat back, at the bottom, in the first photo. There is a round bolt head with a square drive in the center of it on the steel frame. You need to turn it (counter clockwise for the left side) to release the side with the broken cable, and pull the release handle to release the other side at the same time.

Jeep seat 1.jpg

Jeep seat 2.jpg

I lifted the rear cover, on the seat back, at the bottom, in the first photo. There is a round bolt head with a square drive in the center of it on the steel frame. You need to turn it (counter clockwise for the left side) to release the side with the broken cable, and pull the release handle to release the other side at the same time.

View attachment 132156

View attachment 132157
Thanks so much. Was able to get you driver in there and turn it and I've got my seat out now. Now time to repair the cable

Interesting, my oem passenger seat has a lever underneath that bypasses all the cable functions. You guys don't have that ?

My 2000 TJ does not have any cables on the rear seat. Cables been broke for years on the passenger side, and that seat does have a release lever underneath.