How to recalibrate your speedometer after changing tire sizes or gears

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
If you have a 97-06 Wrangler TJ and recently went to bigger tires, you'll probably notice that your speedometer is off. This is an easy fix by purchasing the correct gear for your tire size and ring and pinion.

NOTE: This will not work on 03-06 Rubicon models. See the bottom of this post for more details on what to do if you have a Rubicon.

Here's a chart to help you determine the correct speedometer gear:

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 8.59.22 AM.png

The speedo gear swap/change takes a mere 5 minutes and only one wrench. This is an easy job that anyone can do.

Item's needed:
  • 1/2'' wrench (socket works too).
  • Some paper towels or rag. (you will drip a bit of ATF)
  • Correct speedo gear for your tire size/axle gear ratio.
  • New O-ring for the drive housing. (for $3 at the dealer, change it for cheap insurance)

speedogear002.jpg

Once you have everything ready locate the Speedo Gear drive on the rear output shaft of the transfer case. (easily seen from the rear of the t-case skid)

speedogear003.jpg

First action to take is to remove the electric connector. Push the lock clip out "the red tab" and press on the connector release and pull it off.

speedogear007.jpg

Next step is to remove the 1/2'' bolt and wishbone clamp from the tail housing. Set these to the side.

speedogear005.jpg

Once the clamp is removed you can now remove the drive housing. It will be secured tight in the tail housing..just work it back and forth until it pops out.

speedogear006.jpg

Now it is time to remove the old gear and install the new. To remove the old just grab the gear in one hand and the drive housing in the other...pull. It pops right out with little effort.
Pull the old O-ring off of the drive housing and install the new one.

speedogear008.jpg

Install the new speedo gear by pushing it into the drive sensor housing. Be careful not to pinch the o-ring when installing. (helps if you rub a bit of atf on the o-ring)

NOW...here is a little thing that a lot of people miss. The speedo gear is offset in the sensor housing. This is to adapt to different size gears. And there is 3 clocked position that you can install it. "But how do I do that?" Easy...look on the side of the drive sensor housing.

You will see the numbers....
26-31
32-38
39-45

speedogear009.jpg

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
speedogear010.jpg

Simply find where your speedo gear tooth number falls. When you install the unit into the rear tail housing point the number that your gear fall in down at the 5 o'clock position of the hole. Press the gear into the tailshaft.

speedogear011.jpg

Install the wishbone clamp and bolt to secure the drive sensor housing. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the bolt. The tail housing is aluminum. Just snug it down good. Don't crank on it.
Besure you set the clamp teeth into the cuts in the drive housing.

speedogear013.jpg

Plug the electric connector back in and you are done.

Here you will see the position that your speedo gear tooth count should be angled down. And a completed install. The installed speedo gear in this application was a 41 tooth gear...so 39-45 is down at the 5 o'clock position of the hole.

speedogear014.jpg

How to Correct the Speedometer on Rubicon Models
This above speedometer gear change not work on 03-06 Rubicon models. The speedometer on these is electronically controlled and therefore you only have two options:

1) Some dealers are able to re-program the ECU so that it the speedometer will accommodate for different gearing and larger tires.

2) There are several electronic speedometer calibrators out there, but the one I suggest is the Speedo Healer by Blue Monkey. It's 100% plug-and-play, and uses factory style connectors. Note that you can also use one of these speedometer recalibration modules on a non-Rubicon model (as oppose to swapping the speedo gear as outlined above), but I'm not sure why you'd bother wasting the time and money, when swapping the speedometer gear is both cheaper and easier.

I replaced my NV 231 with an Atlas II. And got Advanced Adapters adapter for the electronic speed sensor. Worked well. Then I started changing axle ratios and tire sizes. I ended up installing the Yellow Box. At that time 2011 it required splicing into the factory harness. They now have a plug and play install.
The jeep dealer was NOT able to reprogram the speedo in my 05 Rubicon despite repeated attempts. The tech even tried doing it on the fly with me driving.

Reactions: glwood
I replaced my NV 231 with an Atlas II. And got Advanced Adapters adapter for the electronic speed sensor. Worked well. Then I started changing axle ratios and tire sizes. I ended up installing the Yellow Box. At that time 2011 it required splicing into the factory harness. They now have a plug and play install.
The jeep dealer was NOT able to reprogram the speedo in my 05 Rubicon despite repeated attempts. The tech even tried doing it on the fly with me driving.

Do you have a link to this yellow box? The gearing on my Rubicon has been changed and therefore my speedometer is way off. I'm definitely need to fix this soon so if it's yellow box will help, I'd love to buy one.

http://www.yellr.com/
I don't know about other brands. This one requires you to install then drive using a GPS. Once a certain distance is driven the odometer reading is compared to the GPS. Using a provided table DIP switches are set on the box. Not nearly as hard as is sounds and worked really well for me.

Reactions: Chris
http://www.yellr.com/
I don't know about other brands. This one requires you to install then drive using a GPS. Once a certain distance is driven the odometer reading is compared to the GPS. Using a provided table DIP switches are set on the box. Not nearly as hard as is sounds and worked really well for me.

Just what I've been looking for! So when you say GPS, can it be done with a smartphone?

Chris is would assume anything that measures distance traveled to 1/10 mile would work. I used my Garmin.

One thing to keep in mind is that the speedometer gear housing moves around like a cam, in that as you rotate the housing it moves the speedometer gear either closer to or further away from the pinion gear underneath. That's why it has different rotational positions marked on the tcase housing depending on the speedometer gear's tooth count.

So if the speedometer doesn't work after installing a new gear, you likely don't have its housing rotated far enough so the new gear can engage the pinion gear. Rotate the housing a tad more. I've had to do that both times I replaced the speedometer gear.

Last edited:
The older version was a PITB because I had to splice into the harness. I understand the newer ones have a unplug, plugin harness. Don't know why for sure but after 315s, 4:88s and the stock 6L90 my speedo is spot on and don't need the yellow fellow right now.

The older version was a PITB because I had to splice into the harness. I understand the newer ones have a unplug, plugin harness. Don't know why for sure but after 315s, 4:88s and the stock 6L90 my speedo is spot on and don't need the yellow fellow right now.

Hmmm, that's odd! I wonder why?

Interesting, so maybe they make a plug-and-play harness for TJs, that would be cool! My speed is way, way off at highway speeds. It will say I am doing 80 mph when I can't be doing more than 65 mph. This is with 33" tires, 4.88 gears and the stock 42RLE tranny.

Chris it all has to do with the math of each link in the drivetrain. The last two gears in the 90 are overdrive gears.

Makes sense to me. I've never been one for math, that's for sure. All I know is my speedometer is massively inaccurate.

Reactions: Wesley Herndon
There are a lot of corrector out yhere. Years ago Yellow Box was a leader and it worked for me. Unfortunately I bought through a third party called Skinny Pedal. The product was okay. The distributor turned out to be a flake!

Reactions: Chris
Never any good when that happens. We will see how it works out for me.