How to remove center console

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Couldn't find a "how to" on here for removing the center console. Found this great 8 step picture tutorial on Jeep Guide.

Probably could have figured this out on my own. But so much safer having a tutorial to follow. Plus I had no idea how the shift handle was removed.

Removing A Wrangler (TJ) Center Floor Console

IMG_0029.jpg

The following images document the removal of the center floor console of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Automatic.

STEP 1
We started by removing the first screw, located in the front cup holder.

IMG_0014.jpg

STEP 2
We then removed two screws located in the center console storage compartment.

IMG_0016.jpg

STEP 3
Then we removed the screws at the based of the center console. We slid/collapsed the front seats forward to access them.

IMG_0018.jpg

STEP 4
We then pried out the display of the automatic shifter with a flat screw driver.

IMG_0019.jpg

STEP 5
We also popped out the airbag panel that sits in front of the automatic shifter.

IMG_0021.jpg

STEP 6
Before we removed the center console, we put engaed the e-brake, put the transmission in 4-low, and removed the automatic shifter handle. This helped with being up to simply pull up on the console assembly and slide it up and out of the area.

The shifter T-handle is shown still attached in this picture. To remove it, we simply pulled up very hard and it popped off. If we left the shifter T-handle on, it's possible to remove the console, but it takes time to get the angles correct. We re-installed the shfiter T-handle by placing it on the shifter stem and pressing down.

IMG_0027.jpg

STEP 7
This image shows the center console removed.

IMG_0028.jpg

STEP 8
Closer picture of the transmission and transfer case controls.

IMG_0029.jpg

Really the only thing holding me back was the removal of the shift handle. lol. Who knew it was so easy? I read your post on that first. As it was the only one I could find. Then I found that tutorial.

Hoping to start on my sound deadening this week. Thus the need to remove the center console. Think I'm gonna break it down front and then back. Do it over a couple or few days. But after I remove everything I'm going to temporarily lay down my new ACC carpet to mark it's coverage. So I can put down as much sound deadener as possible. Then heat shield over that. The ACC is supposed to be oversized. So I'm hoping that all fits under the carpet. I'll know once I temporarily lay down the new carpet. Hopefully it will all fit under it. The only complaints I've heard about the ACC is you have to trim it yourself. Which is a good thing for me. Hopefully it's plenty extended along the sides. For extra room.

Really the only thing holding me back was the removal of the shift handle. lol. Who knew it was so easy? I read your post on that first. As it was the only one I could find. Then I found that tutorial.

Hoping to start on my sound deadening this week. Thus the need to remove the center console. Think I'm gonna break it down front and then back. Do it over a couple or few days. But after I remove everything I'm going to temporarily lay down my new ACC carpet to mark it's coverage. So I can put down as much sound deadener as possible. Then heat shield over that. The ACC is supposed to be oversized. So I'm hoping that all fits under the carpet. I'll know once I temporarily lay down the new carpet. Hopefully it will all fit under it. The only complaints I've heard about the ACC is you have to trim it yourself. Which is a good thing for me. Hopefully it's plenty extended along the sides. For extra room.

Old thread I know. Is this completely the same for a manual transmission?

Thanks

Old thread I know. Is this completely the same for a manual transmission?

Thanks
Nope, easier. Remove that cup holder screw, pop off the stick cover which should be metal clips on the four corners, remove screw for that front console part, the end. I just played with the console on my '05.

Reactions: Sancho