How to remove factory clear door sill covers?

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
I'd like to remove my factory side steps, install sill guards, and use the sills as entry steps.

However, the door sills still have the original clear protection film, but it's weathered, oxidized, cracked, peeling, and worn through in areas. And a 100% SOB to get off--with my thumbnail I achieved about an inch in a half an hour.

Has anyone had success with any products/techniques to remove these? I considered that because they're on there so good, I could try just installing the new sill guards on top of them but also would prefer to "do it right."

What Jerry said, then get some 3M general purpose adhesive remover, or Goo Gone to remove the adhesive left behind, if any.
Recently did this to mine. It's still time consuming but you really need a good clean surface so your new ones stay put.

IIRC when I took mine off I used my finger nail and it took about 5 minutes total. Using the Goo Gone to get rid of the sticky stuff added another 5 minutes. Maybe I have super strong finger nails or maybe Chrysler was using some older crap by 2006. I guess it could be a little of both.

The problem I had with mine was the film was so beat up from the years of abuse that it would only come off in small chucks. That made it a whole bunch more time consuming. Passenger side was easier because it wasn't beat up like the driver side.

awesome, thanks for the input everyone. I think between heat gun/hairdryer, plastic razor and some adhesive remover I'll be good.

I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but: I have neither a hair dryer nor a heat gun, but I do have a propane torch. Held far away, is that a viable option? or am I gonna ruin the paint

Be damn careful with a heat gun even on low. You'll barrel along and next thing you know your paint is blistering. Those things get hot.

awesome, thanks for the input everyone. I think between heat gun/hairdryer, plastic razor and some adhesive remover I'll be good.

I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but: I have neither a hair dryer nor a heat gun, but I do have a propane torch. Held far away, is that a viable option? or am I gonna ruin the paint
Harbor freight heat gun

Reactions: Irun
I would replace the clear if you remove it.

I resprayed my passenger side and my driver side needs it because of how worn the roll in the sill got. It was down to bare metal.

I got as much as I could off with acetone then installed the rubber sill guards on top. I figured if the acetone did not get it off it was fine to stick the new stuff to it.

I removed mine a few weeks ago. I used my heat gun on it's lowest setting. Even then you don't want to get it too hot as the material stretches to the point that it breaks and you basically have to start again to get the next piece off.

I'm in the process of painting my LJ. When the sills are done I'll be replacing the guards with this ...
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003EP52I8/?tag=tjforum-20

What do you think might be the easy solution for that? Either can be found very inexpensively and will be useful for for many things for many years.
I'm certainly not opposed, just trying to minimize acquisitions since I live in a city and am limited on space.

But it doesn't matter anyway, because I just learned that my girlfriend has a hairdryer (I haven't seen her blow dry her hair even once in many years of partnership. Go figure) so looks like I'll be doing that. Thanks again

Reactions: Jerry Bransford