How to remove fender flares and trim?

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
Getting the TJ ready for some paint by removing existing fenders, flares, and that trim panel directly above the running board (no idea what they’re called). Thought this was going to be a quick job but much like everything else, not so much. A few questions for people who have been through this before:

1- I got the fenders loosened up, but snapped a couple of the very front bolts that secures it to the grill. I can’t seem to figure out where the nuts for these are or how to remove them. Thoughts?

2 - How do I access / replace the nuts for the forward two bolts on the rear flares? It looks like unlike the other bolts which use a plastic fastener, these two are riveted in, and I had to grind the head off since they were spinning.

3 - The trim parts above the running boards, what is it called, and how do I remove them?

2 & 3) The foremost two bolts on the rear flares, as well as the 3 bolts on each fender flare extension, have captive nutserts in the quarter panels. Is your bodywork rusted? It sounds like the holes opened up and are letting the nutserts spin. For the flare extensions, just look up under the ol' skirt and you'll see the fasteners.

2 & 3) The foremost two bolts on the rear flares, as well as the 3 bolts on each fender flare extension, have captive nutserts in the quarter panels. Is your bodywork rusted? It sounds like the holes opened up and are letting the nutserts spin. For the flare extensions, just look up under the ol' skirt and you'll see the fasteners.
The body is rust free, but it looks like the screws have rusted to the nuts. I was able to grind the head off, but there’s no way of gripping the rivet to get the screw out, or even getting a new screw in once I do. Only thing I can think of is drilling them out and putting in new rivets.

Did a bit more searching on the rocker panels (think that’s the name) and it seems they just pull off. That correct?

The whole for the nutserts is hex shaped, I believe, to hold them in place. If your bolts are rusted to them heavily enough to spin as one, I assume those holes have been opened up too much to put another nutsert in, unless they make oversized O.D. varieties? The only alternative I can think of is figure out how to get behind the panel in that space and use plastic nuts like on the rest of the flare.

I don't think the front flare extensions are ever referred to as rocker panels, but what do I know... I think I've seen them called dog ears. Yes, they just pull off. Either fully remove the three bolts per, or loosen them and wiggle the extensions off. They have slots for the bolt heads to slide through, like a smoke alarm mount.

They make spring clip nuts, those things that come with car speakers, in bigger sizes. Also, depending on the size of the hole, look if liscense plate nuts will work. Or plastic nuts of similar type of plastic. Worse case you can make your own from plastic cutting board in the kitchen. Has to be of a soft-ish plastic that won't crack or split.

This will also be my next big job on Ripley. Removing the flares prior to a repaint maybe next month. Just out of curiosity I attempted to unscrew some on a couple of flares and every one was stripped. As I’m going back with pocket flares I’m going to cut the old flares off to expose the screws and grind or cut the heads off to remove the nutserts. Would appreciate updates on your progress.

License plate nuts, and the similar door fasteners used on a lot of cars, require a square hole. Other than lots of careful work with a bastard file, I've never come up with a good way of replicating the cutouts stamped in the factory. There's also the small drawback of them necessarily having a lip on the outside to keep from pushing through, so your fender-flare will have a bit of a gap.

I'm not sure what the spring clip nuts are. That sounds like the rectangular clips that slide over a much bigger hole and have their own threaded center, used on bumpers and body panels?