How to remove rust on chrome tube bumper?

02SteelBlue

TJ Enthusiast
Is there a way of removing rust from the chrome tube bumper? I know most, if not all, dislike the tube style bumpers, but I like them just fine for now.

0000 steel wool and Mothers aluminum mag polish. I restore nickel plated coleman lanterns and have a 1960 ford with nickel chrome bumpers. Nothing works better. If you really want to protect the chrome from scratches then just use the polish, for a tube bumper I wouldn't worry about it. You can even use regular steel wool and then finish with auto wax once the rust is gone but the ultra fine stuff is just a little easier on the chrome plating.

Any chrome polish will remove the rust stain. Thankfully TJs never came with chrome.

The correct answer is to completely neutralize the rust using phosphoric acid which is the active ingredient in naval jelly. Liquid phosphoric acid is also sold in jugs for cleaning rust off concrete. Both products can be found in every hardware story. It works by converting iron oxide to iron phosphate. You know you are good to go when all the rust spots have turned to a black stain. After you have done away with all the rust and thoroughly rinsed the bumper you can help slow any additional rusting with frequent application of a good quality hard automotive finish wax.

The correct answer is to completely neutralize the rust using phosphoric acid which is the active ingredient in naval jelly.

So I see you have a strong opinion on the subject with your correct answer. Can't say I know anybody that would enjoy rubbing naval jelly on their Jeep bumper but if it's the correct answer what are you gonna do? Heck you could probably clean your driveway too as you rinse it down the storm drain.

Some people use Coke, phosphoric acid in there too. In fact aluminum foil and Coke is a good trick.

I have never used coke and foil and in fact, I have never even heard of that before, but I used to build bicycles when I was younger, and I have always had good luck with steel wool as suggested earlier.

The foil doesnt scratch the chrome, I take it? Or is the polish to remove scratches that the foil may cause?

First time having any chrome on a vehicle and I just want to be clear. Thanks again for all the replies!

Some people use Coke, phosphoric acid in there too. In fact aluminum foil and Coke is a good trick.

I had a paint chip, down to bare metal, on the hood of my truck. My body shop guy said pour Coke on it and cover with touch up paint. My "repair" from last summer is holding up fine.

So I see you have a strong opinion on the subject with your correct answer. Can't say I know anybody that would enjoy rubbing naval jelly on their Jeep bumper but if it's the correct answer what are you gonna do? Heck you could probably clean your driveway too as you rinse it down the storm drain.

Have I hurt your tender feelings? Not sure why, you seem to agree that phosphoric is the right answer.