How to remove the front spindle nut

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
This is hoew i easily removed rhe front axle nuts, torqued @ 175 ft pounds.... my torque wrench maxes out at 150 ft/lbs.
So i was dreading removing that spindle nut.
Once the spindle nut is off 3 bolts hold the bearing unit and axles.

This may be all over U Tube, idk, but i didnt do an exhaustive search.

I used a 6x6x9" tall cedar block as a foundation for a simple tire iron. I wedged the tire iron between the lug nut bolts to keep the front hub from turning..
20181026_095747.jpg

Then i used my 25" long half inch drive breakover and the cheater bar is really 1/2 of my floor jack handle.
The spindle nut requires a 36mm socket. I pushed down on the bar setup and it came loose withouth much protest. :)

Edit: just reverse the setup for tightening; and spin the lug nuts down all the way so the bar sits against the lug nuts. Great suggestion @b0xcar

Last edited:
This is hoew i easily removed rhe front axle nuts, torqued @ 175 ft pounds.... my torque wrench maxes out at 150 ft/lbs.

I used a 6x6x9" tall cedar block as a foundation for a simple tire iron. I wedged the tire iron between the lug nut bolts to keep the front hub from turning..
View attachment 61697
Then i used my 25" long half inch drive breakover and the cheater bar is really 1/2 of my floor jack handle.
The spindle nut requires a 36mm socket. I pushed down on the bar setup and it came loose withouth much protest. :)
Cheers!
Smart solution. I love smart solutions.

Reactions: KCsTJ

View attachment 61697
Cheers!
Great idea here but just curious if it messed up the threads when you broke it loose? Would it be better to put the nuts back on first?

Great idea here but just curious if it messed up the threads when you broke it loose? Would it be better to put the nuts back on first?
Yes that is an excellent point @b0xcar .....
I should have spun the lug nuts all the way down finger tight to the hub. That way the tire iron bar wont touch the threads.
Nice catch b0xcar!

If i have to do it manually. I remove the center cap, reinstall the tire, lower the jeep, chalk the wheels, and go to town. I prefer NOT to use large breaker bars while the jeep is supported on jacks-stands. If it slips off you are in danger and it can be costly.

BTW do not completely remove the nut while on the ground just get it loose.

Reactions: KCsTJ and b0xcar
How did you torque that nut back down? This is something I need to do in the future.
I just reversed the setup to tighten.
I dont have a pic of it set up to tighten, i forgot, but its just a mirror image of the photo above. The block and breakover setup on the right side of the hub to tighten.
That way you are pushing down whether you are loosening or tightening. Your body weight does all the heavy lifting, so to speak. :)

Reactions: b0xcar
If i have to do it manually. I remove the center cap, reinstall the tire, lower the jeep, chalk the wheels, and go to town. I prefer NOT to use large breaker bars while the jeep is supported on jacks-stands. If it slips off you are in danger and it can be costly.

BTW do not completely remove the nut while on the ground just get it loose.
I wanted to use that method @Boinked but the 36mm socket is too large for the center hole in my stock Ravine wheels. :-/

That method will work on aftermarket wheels just fine but if u have Ravines, no dice :-(

thus necessity became the mother of invention in this instance. :)

Reactions: Boinked and b0xcar
I wanted to use that method @Boinked but the 36mm socket is too large for the center hole in my stock Ravine wheels. :-/

That method will work on aftermarket wheels just fine but if u have Ravines, no dice :-(

thus necessity became the mother of invention in this instance. :)
I can definitely understand that. Nothing ever works perfectly in all instances. Thus you must improvise overcome and adapt. :)

Reactions: Blondie70 and KCsTJ

View attachment 61697

Edit: just reverse the setup for tightening; and spin the lug nuts down all the way so the bar sits against the lug nuts. Great suggestion @b0xcar
Somebody may have already made this suggestion. Put the lug nuts back on by hand first. Then, it’ll prevent any damage to the threads.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If you have a front locker, can you engage that and use that for leverage? Assuming other wheel is on the ground or in 4wd in gear?