How to Remove the Grille

benny3577

The grille on my TJ was damaged when I bought it from a minor collision the PO had, so I recently decided to remove it and replace it with a straight used one. I couldn’t find any write-ups when I started researching how big of a task this was, so I decided to make one after tackling the project.

NOTE: I did not keep track of the sizes of the bolts and nuts that needed to be removed, but all of them were common metric and SAE sizes. You will also need some Torx bits.

ALSO: You can mix and match the following steps to some extent.

ANOTHER NOTE: If you have AC, you will need to get the system evacuated by a professional.

How to remove the grille:

1. Remove the struts that run from the firewall to the grille by removing the bolts from both sides.

IMG_0582.jpeg

2. Remove both headlights. Unplug them from the backside and then remove the chrome light bezels by removing the screws. Remove the chrome headlight retaining rings by removing the screws. The headlights should then pull right out. Remove the headlight brackets/buckets by removing three nuts on the backside of the grille behind each bucket. Pulling out these buckets allow for easier wiring harness removal.

IMG_0583.jpeg
IMG_0584.jpeg

3. Remove the passenger side wiring to both marker lights. Pull this wiring harness through the hole sealed by the rubber grommet in the fender and up through the fender well area. Undo all of the zip tie clips/inserts from the top of the grille. Then pull the wiring harness through the grille from the passenger side light hole to the driver’s side light hole. You will have to work it through the rubber shields/radiator wind directors. Set the harness aside.

IMG_0581.jpeg

4. Remove any bolts or nuts in the backside of the grille that hold any ground wires. These will be near either of the headlights. I am not sure if all TJs have this or if it was done by the PO.

5. Remove 6 bolts connecting each fender to the grille. Three are on the backside of the grille to fender area and three are on the side of the grille to fender area.

6. Remove the coolant reservoir by pushing the outward divot towards the engine by gently prying with a flathead screwdriver and then pulling the reservoir up at the same time. Set this upright out of the way. Leave the hose connected.

IMG_0587.jpeg

7. Remove the radiator fan shroud for easier access to the radiator to grille bolts. There are 2 bolts on each side of the shroud. Once the shroud is loose, pull it back so it is hanging out of the way.

IMG_0591.jpeg

8. Remove the three bolts on either side of the radiator connecting the radiator brackets to the grille. These are sort of hard to get to, but it can be done with some extensions. MAKE SURE the radiator is resting so it will not fall when the grille is removed.

IMG_0586.jpeg

9. IF YOU HAVE AC: Once the system is evacuated, remove the two nuts connecting the AC lines to the condenser. The top line is a rubber hose and can be pushed aside. The bottom line is aluminum and will need to rest until the condenser (attached to the grill) is pulled out. You may want to tape off these lines to avoid any contamination of the system. The condenser will need to come out with the grill.

IMG_0593.jpeg

10. Remove the body mount bolt from the bottom of the grille.

IMG_0595.jpeg

11. Remove one plastic trim fastener that holds a rubber radiator shield from the bottom of the grille to the frame located on the passenger side frame rail.

12. Slowly pull the grille forward from the Jeep. Make sure to watch for anything still connected or hanging anything up. At this point, the condenser will pull away from the aluminum AC line.

13. The grille is now free from the Jeep, but the condenser is not free from the grille. There are 2 bolts on the top of the grill and 2 bolts on the lower backside. I am not exactly sure how these are supposed to be removed because they are mounted in rubber grommets. We used an interior trim panel removal tool to pry these bolts out of the grommets and it worked fine. They would not thread out.

14. Remove anything else need if replacing the grille such as the rubber shields/radiator wind directors.

744E3A51-E79D-49D9-B789-8285B6FF915C.jpeg

That is all there is to it. My brother and I did it in about 2 hours. I live in the rust belt, but no bolts gave me any real trouble. This job Is not too bad overall. Just make sure to keep track of all the bolts and nuts.

Last edited:
You don't have to evacuate the A/C. All you do is separate the condenser from the grill. You grab the upper ones underneath the top of the grill with whatever you can to remove the upper two bolts and pry those lower mounts out and just replace the mounts when you put it back together. You are going to have to do this anyway, just do it before and you don't have to deal with the A/C.

Reactions: jwilson2899
The grille on my TJ was damaged when I bought it from a minor collision the PO had, so I recently decided to remove it and replace it with a straight used one. I couldn’t find any write-ups when I started researching how big of a task this was, so I decided to make one after tackling the project.

NOTE: I did not keep track of the sizes of the bolts and nuts that needed to be removed, but all of them were common metric and SAE sizes. You will also need some Torx bits.

ALSO: You can mix and match the following steps to some extent.

ANOTHER NOTE: If you have AC, you will need to get the system evacuated by a professional.

How to remove the grille:

1. Remove the struts that run from the firewall to the grille by removing the bolts from both sides.

View attachment 159324

2. Remove both headlights. Unplug them from the backside and then remove the chrome light bezels by removing the screws. Remove the chrome headlight retaining rings by removing the screws. The headlights should then pull right out. Remove the headlight brackets/buckets by removing three nuts on the backside of the grille behind each bucket. Pulling out these buckets allow for easier wiring harness removal.

View attachment 159325View attachment 159328

3. Remove the passenger side wiring to both marker lights. Pull this wiring harness through the hole sealed by the rubber grommet in the fender and up through the fender well area. Undo all of the zip tie clips/inserts from the top of the grille. Then pull the wiring harness through the grille from the passenger side light hole to the driver’s side light hole. You will have to work it through the rubber shields/radiator wind directors. Set the harness aside.

View attachment 159329

4. Remove any bolts or nuts in the backside of the grille that hold any ground wires. These will be near either of the headlights. I am not sure if all TJs have this or if it was done by the PO.

5. Remove 6 bolts connecting each fender to the grille. Three are on the backside of the grille to fender area and three are on the side of the grille to fender area.

6. Remove the coolant reservoir by pushing the outward divot towards the engine by gently prying with a flathead screwdriver and then pulling the reservoir up at the same time. Set this upright out of the way. Leave the hose connected.

View attachment 159330

7. Remove the radiator fan shroud for easier access to the radiator to grille bolts. There are 2 bolts on each side of the shroud. Once the shroud is loose, pull it back so it is hanging out of the way.

View attachment 159331

8. Remove the three bolts on either side of the radiator connecting the radiator brackets to the grille. These are sort of hard to get to, but it can be done with some extensions. MAKE SURE the radiator is resting so it will not fall when the grille is removed.

View attachment 159332

9. IF YOU HAVE AC: Once the system is evacuated, remove the two nuts connecting the AC lines to the condenser. The top line is a rubber hose and can be pushed aside. The bottom line is aluminum and will need to rest until the condenser (attached to the grill) is pulled out. You may want to tape off these lines to avoid any contamination of the system. The condenser will need to come out with the grill.

View attachment 159333

10. Remove the body mount bolt from the bottom of the grille.

View attachment 159334

11. Remove one plastic trim fastener that holds a rubber radiator shield from the bottom of the grille to the frame located on the passenger side frame rail.

12. Slowly pull the grille forward from the Jeep. Make sure to watch for anything still connected or hanging anything up. At this point, the condenser will pull away from the aluminum AC line.

13. The grille is now free from the Jeep, but the condenser is not free from the grille. There are 2 bolts on the top of the grill and 2 bolts on the lower backside. I am not exactly sure how these are supposed to be removed because they are mounted in rubber grommets. We used an interior trim panel removal tool to pry these bolts out of the grommets and it worked fine. They would not thread out.

14. Remove anything else need if replacing the grille such as the rubber shields/radiator wind directors.

View attachment 159336

That is all there is to it. My brother and I did it in about 2 hours. I live in the rust belt, but no bolts gave me any real trouble. This job Is not too bad overall. Just make sure to keep track of all the bolts and nuts.
Thanks Dude.. I was planning to pull a grill this weekend but I hadn't yet done any planning. This will be my go to guide. Nice write up.

You don't have to evacuate the A/C. All you do is separate the condenser from the grill. You grab the upper ones underneath the top of the grill with whatever you can to remove the upper two bolts and pry those lower mounts out and just replace the mounts when you put it back together. You are going to have to do this anyway, just do it before and you don't have to deal with the A/C.

Yes I suppose that would work. I’m just lucky enough the have a self-evacuating feature to my Jeep so I didn’t think twice about it.

I pried the upper bolts out with no problem. The lower bolts came out too but I'm worried that I may have damaged the mounts. Do you have any knowledge or experience with replacing the mounts? (part #s, availability, ideas...). The backside of those mounts have very little access.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

glad I saw this. I don't have any reason to remove my grill right now but I was ready to make another entry in the list of "stupid $#!+ Jeep did to the TJ" along with the omission of sliders for the front brake pads, the 05-06 OPDA design and fuel tank valve that sticks when exposed to ethanol.