How to repair a broken seat cable in a Jeep Wrangler TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
How to repair a broken seat cable in a Jeep Wrangler TJ

OK, This is the story of how I thought I could make a cable to replace the broken one in my 1997 Wrangler TJ seats.

In the end I just bought the friggin' OEM cable for around $55, because I was running out of time and patience.

You might be able to make something that works, or you might count your losses and pay the money like I did. Either way I hope these instructions help you at least get to the problem and know what you are dealing with.​
This is the cable that makes your seat tip forward so people can get access to the back seats.

Make sure you get part number 04886309AA.

Sure, have a go at fixing the cable or making one if you like, I mean - You know more than those Engineers at Chrysler right?
Or save yourself 5 hours and any amount of money in running around to fishing places to get bits and pieces, and buy the correct thing.​

jeep_seat021.jpg
Remove the seat.
You are going to need a Torq 50 driver and a good set of sockets.
You may need to "get agricultural" and employ some imaginative leverage techniques like I did.​
jeep_seat001.jpg
There are three metric bolts and one torq 50 bolt to remove.

I got my torq bit set from Repco.​
jeep_seat002.jpg
Carefully remove your seat and put it on the lawn or on carpet somewhere.
This will be better for your knees and the upholstry as you figure out what the problem is.​
jeep_seat003.jpg
Look under the seat. Learn how the levers work, and where the cable goes.
Remember this layout and where the cable is tied to for later.​
jeep_seat008.jpg
My cable is OK at this end, but is slack so it is busted at the other end...​
jeep_seat004.jpg
Take the seatbelt thing off it's easier.
Push aside some of the upholstry and foam following where the cable goes.
It ends right on the hinge of the bottom and the back pieces of seat.​
jeep_seat005.jpg
Mine is broken here.​
jeep_seat006.jpg
The cable has busted at the Z clip and come out of the plastic sheath on the left.
You need to remove the old cable now - note where it goes and what it is tied to.​
jeep_seat010.jpg
This is the pieces once removed showing the break.
Looks simple.
So I thought I'd go to a fishing or boating place and just buy some bits to make a replacement cable.

That way I could reuse the cable sheath​
jeep_seat011.jpg
This line might be good enough for catching small sharks, but it's no good for this job.
It fit well down the sheath, but wasn't strong enough and kept pulling through any way I could think of joining it...
FAIL.​
jeep_seat012.jpg
These things seemed like a good idea at the time.
FAIL.​
jeep_seat013.jpg
jeep_seat014.jpg
Hmm. These look good to join the cable to the frame instead of that Z shaped original thing.
These were a bugger to get onto the frame and in the end, snapped or bent
FAIL.​
jeep_seat015.jpg
jeep_seat016.jpg
Some of my dud attempts...

FAIL.​
jeep_seat017.jpg
FAIL.​
jeep_seat018.jpg
FAIL.​
jeep_seat020.jpg
So here's that picture again.

Print it and take it to Jeep / Chrysler.
Get them to order the cable for you.
Put it back the same way you took the old one off and in minutes you are "set like jelly."

I tried for 5 hours and used $25 worth of other bits to make a dodgey modded cable.
None worked.​
jeep_seat021.jpg

My fold and tumble seat quit working of course after getting a flat while trying to get the jack out. I probably was in a poor mood and pulled to hard.
Your guide helped me tare down my seat and figure the cable mechanism out. I'm cheap and had the afternoon so I thought I'd have a go at fixing it with what I had around the shop.
I had a bicycle brake cable handy about the same length.
20200517_164525.jpg

I could have just threaded the cable thru the hole in the seat back but I didn't think it would last long so I drilled thru one of the old ends so that it would pull straight and not abrade.
20200517_164604.jpg

I then reused the old sheath and put it all back in place.
Now for the other end I wanted to be able to easily adjust the length and securely attached it. I drilled out a 5mm bolt that fit nicely.
20200517_164622.jpg

I fed the cable thru and took out the slack and tightened it up.
20200517_164705.jpg

It would be better and easier to buy the right part but I had the time and parts and figured I would do my part in socal distancing 😀
Seems to work great, I'll report back if it only works a short while.
Hope you all are doing well!

20200517_161551.jpg

Reactions: Reign Mack
Wow, that's some FANCY drilling you were able to do. Nice job! How's this fix holding up for you? I too have a broken cable on my hands...:(

Wow, that's some FANCY drilling you were able to do. Nice job! How's this fix holding up for you? I too have a broken cable on my hands...:(

Still going strong. I couldn't drill thru the old cable so I ground part off and was able to drill thru with a cordless. I did feel kinda lucky that it worked out to be honest

Hi Chris.

I know it's been a while, but I'm a little surprised by the image of the part number you recommend here. Compared to the pics in your first post, mine (which is broken) looks like this. (Same attachment style on both ends.)

Do you recall how yours attached? Mine is a 97 too of course.

Edit: The pics here help me see how your design attaches. Just surprised since you mentioned yours was a 97. Mine has the bent metal tabs on both ends, not that circular bit.