How to repair broken passenger seat track release cable

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
The cable end broke off the cable that helps the passenger seat collapse when getting into the back of the jeep. So I repaired it like this. Pic. I also bought a new cable in case this did not work.
Part # 04886308AA. It's time consuming so prepair yourself.

20170113_100044.jpg
20170113_100144.jpg
20170113_100236.jpg

Reactions: Chris
your welcome. I am supposed to pick up the new one tomorrow. Then i am going to measure each one and see how close i am on length. Ill let you know how tight the cable is when I attach both ends. Thats been a question of mine, because when you see how it all operates Im pretty sure the cable needs to be pretty tight.

Reactions: Michael Roberson
recap - new part didnt come in Saturday so i put the seat back together with my rigging to the cable. The new part is coming in monday or tuesday, just didnt want to wait.
I put an electrical conector on the end of the cable and crimped it (then cut the connector in half) before putting it in the grounding connector i bought.
at first when i connected the two ends of the cable there was some play in the cable and it needs to be tight. so ya might have to play with it to make sure its tight once the two ends are connected.
all of this depends on where your cable is broken.
once you take your seat out and get it upside down and pull the seat upholstery back , then and only then will you be able determine what your next step is.

Reactions: B Austin and Chris
my goodness , that antenna is 3 feet ha. wonder if you could mount a standard antenna up outside the jeep and plug it to the Hand held CB radio.???
Hey do you have the link to the hand held CB you found on amazon?

working the same issue on my 97 tj sport. I have pulled the old broken cable and ran a thicker gauge bicycle cable. The manual release lever works perfect to fold and slide but when the passengers in the rear either pull the tab or button lever on the rear of the seat and the seat folds...it will not slide forward to let them out. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

working the same issue on my 97 tj sport. I have pulled the old broken cable and ran a thicker gauge bicycle cable. The manual release lever works perfect to fold and slide but when the passengers in the rear either pull the tab or button lever on the rear of the seat and the seat folds...it will not slide forward to let them out. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I just posted a thread on how to fix the seat back cable.

The cable end broke off the cable that helps the passenger seat collapse when getting into the back of the jeep. So I repaired it like this. Pic. I also bought a new cable in case this did not work.
Part # 04886308AA. It's time consuming so prepair yourself.

View attachment 9306 View attachment 9307 View attachment 9308
Not sure if some one has done this already ? I know this is an old thread but I am re-furbing a couple of old TJ seats I picked up and I needed to replace the lower cables that release the tumble and roll (because it was broken) when the seat back is tilted forward. In my (wondering what am I going to use to fix this) stage I found this... it is a lawn mower throttle cable (eBay for $8AUD) lol 🤪
Just use the old sleeve with the new cable (cut to length with new compression spring for 50 cents) with a new small crimp sleeve on the cut end.

9EBC4640-D04A-4B89-9B35-49D11CDCEFF6.png