How to repair multifunction switch for fog lights (fog lights that won't turn off)

Thanks for the information! Today I replaced my left turn signal/ hazard with the Napa Echlin. The wiring harness into the turn signal was heat damaged and some chipped off. The only thing is, even with the new one, if I pull slightly outward on the turn signal switch, the fog lights still come on? Before they were coming on themselves, and for a little while, the left turn signal trick was working...

Sounds like the multi-function switch is still misbehaving.

The same thing happened to me. I unhooked my fog lights because I didn’t have the time to dive into the fix. Glad it’s just the switch. Maybe I’ll do it when I get my jeep out in the spring.

Reactions: Chris
About to pull the tools out and get to work. This issue just started on my 05 Rubicon. I had no idea what was causing it..... Thank You!

Just finished doing the repair utilizing the information in this thread. It worked! The added information about pulling the read clips out of the electrical connectors, found on another thread was a huge time saver as well. Thank you! 20181024_164111.jpg 20181024_173503.jpg

Thanks this post helped me a lot. No more mysterious dead battery due to fog light switch! I would have spent the $75 for a new switch but after reading this I took mine apart and actually did my own fix by removing the metal piece off the spring and using a punch to flatten it out to remove the indent. I may add a little jb to reinforce the metal where the tip pushed thru. My white plastic piece seemed to be fine.

So I just did this repair and that was the issue as after I did this my fog lights worked. Only problem is now my headlights wont turn on. Parking lights work, fog lights work, interior lights work just not my headlights. Can anybody please help me??

So I just did this repair and that was the issue as after I did this my fog lights worked. Only problem is now my headlights wont turn on. Parking lights work, fog lights work, interior lights work just not my headlights. Can anybody please help me??

Time to take it apart again. You screwed something up when disassembling it or reassembling it, but you'll have to investigate to figure out what that might be.

Either that or buy a replacement MFS.

Time to take it apart again. You screwed something up when disassembling it or reassembling it, but you'll have to investigate to figure out what that might be.

Either that or buy a replacement MFS.
Yup i took it apart again and realized one of the pieces was on there wrong, put it in right and now no problem!! This fix was definitely worth it saved me a good amount of money, Thanks!!!

Yup i took it apart again and realized one of the pieces was on there wrong, put it in right and now no problem!! This fix was definitely worth it saved me a good amount of money, Thanks!!!

So glad to hear you figured it out, thanks for the update :)

This is on the to-do list. Glad this write-up is out there for when I have some free time. For now, the fog light relay got pulled.

Yeah had this issue a couple months ago and said " now what ? "
Found this thread and problem solved.
Really thought I'd be replacing switches and swearing. Lol

Thanks for the info just did mine ...waiting on drying time but please do tell how in the world did you figure out this fix... my fog lights were unplugged when I bought it and figured out pretty quik why just trying to wrap my head around how you figured it out for the fix but anyway thanks a ton

Just replaced the MFS due to the fog light issue. Very easy, straightforward swap. I'll hang onto the original switch, repair it when I get a chance and keep it as a spare (translated: I never throw Jeep parts away...).

Got it back in the LJ and it's working great. And no parts leftover to boot!

While I had it apart, I played around with the pieces to figure out which part did what. It's really not that hard to work on. Just a bunch of different simple switches sharing the same housing and control stalk. The biggest problem I had was about half of the guts went flying when I got the case open so I had to figure out how it all worked to get it back together right.

I didn't use JB Weld or other epoxy. I used a piece of that soda can that I cut to fit and super glued on. If you look at my "puzzle" pic above, you'll see it on the foglight finger. Works like a champ.

Reactions: derekmac
Looks like I'll be tackling this in the next day or two... I also had figured out the left turn signal "trick" to get the fog lights to turn off! But it obviously wasn't the best "trick", as I forgot the last time I parked in my alley and woke up to a dead battery. Could this really have been the only cause for a drained battery? Tried jumping it with a buddy's car, to no avail. Could the alternator/starter being playing a role, as well? Is the battery just so low that it can't be jump started, and needs to be slow charged? Brand new (Sept '18) Durmast Platinum 34-AMG... About to head to Lowe's to pick up a voltmeter and battery charger, either way...

This worked for me for about 3 weeks before the handle actually broke due to a little minion climbing around in the jeep so i had to replace anyways. Thanks for the 3 weeks of money saving.