How to repair multifunction switch for fog lights (fog lights that won't turn off)

After doing this fix I started to smell smoke and I had identified it coming from the epoxy I used to build up the lever. I have upgraded the fog lights and am nervous that there is too much energy moving through the circuit... I was able to produce a fix by boring out a hole and cutting a piece of coat hanger to create a more stable heat resistant lever, but the underlying concern is that the circuit will over heat. Do people use solid state relays to avoid this? Is this something I should be concerned about burning up the multifunction switch? Am I overthinking this?
The contact only switches a very low current to energize a relay that turns the lights on and off. The proper repair is to fill in the hole worn on the plastic lever by the rubbing of the turn signal arm. The wear will have produced an oval shaped hole. The post does not wear because it only pushes straight down on the contacts. If you have over heating in the assembly, it may be that it was re-assembled incorrectly.

The contact only switches a very low current to energize a relay that turns the lights on and off. The proper repair is to fill in the hole worn on the plastic lever by the rubbing of the turn signal arm. The wear will have produced an oval shaped hole. The post does not wear because it only pushes straight down on the contacts. If you have over heating in the assembly, it may be that it was re-assembled incorrectly.
My understanding is that these switches did come from the factory with all that current flowing through the switch. Mine was melted that way. I installed a relay to prevent that from ever happening again.

My TJ is a 2002 model. I have the factory service manual with schematics. I'm a retired electronics circuit design engineer. My TJ came from the factory with relays for all of the front lighting circuits installed inside the fuse/relay box under the hood on the driver's side. When the fog light problem first occurred, and drained my battery, I pulled the relay. This prevented the fog lights from coming on but still drew a small current for the relay coil. I repaired the lever by filling the hole worn in the plastic lever with JB Weld. If you have added additional lights to the circuit, make sure the lights are controlled by the relay contacts and not directly by the multi-function switch on the steering column. A defective fog light relay could potentially cause over heating in the multi-function switch.

Reactions: khakitj
My TJ is a 2002 model. I have the factory service manual with schematics. I'm a retired electronics circuit design engineer. My TJ came from the factory with relays for all of the front lighting circuits installed inside the fuse/relay box under the hood on the driver's side. When the fog light problem first occurred, and drained my battery, I pulled the relay. This prevented the fog lights from coming on but still drew a small current for the relay coil. I repaired the lever by filling the hole worn in the plastic lever with JB Weld. If you have added additional lights to the circuit, make sure the lights are controlled by the relay contacts and not directly by the multi-function switch on the steering column. A defective fog light relay could potentially cause over heating in the multi-function switch.

I’m sure you’re right, then. I might have guessed from your username.

You say you have a relay for high beams, low beams, and fog lamps in the PDC underhood?? I have never seen this on any model year TJ (except the fog lamp relay)...

Hey y’all. It’s been a year and a half since I fixed these. Let me just say that I believe the inside melted again 🙃 and now the fog lights are “always on” so I got tired of it and just unplugged them.

My repair is going on about 5 years like it never wore out in the first place. Though, almost all my lighting has been LED for just as long.

I used .0035 aluminum sheet metal. Aka a piece cut from a soda can. JB welded in place, cleaned the excess with alcohol. Came out nice, works good.

12CBE473-0135-44DB-9D52-1235AA9340DA.jpeg

97439293-5D06-458B-A780-14E85C44FF8B.jpeg

F896A85B-CE62-4E81-AC25-C00E5A187A1B.jpeg

53BB1562-D50D-48FE-8FB4-207808B61B17.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PRNDL
There's some pics a few pages back, but I used a piece of RC Cola can and and JB Weld. It worked good, but a few months later my multi-malfunction switch developed other issues with the turn signals involving some beeper in the dash and I caught a new OEM Mopar switch at a decent price so I just replaced it. Still got the old one in my parts stash "just in case".

Reactions: UglyDuck
There's some pics a few pages back, but I used a piece of RC Cola can and and JB Weld. It worked good, but a few months later my multi-malfunction switch developed other issues with the turn signals involving some beeper in the dash and I caught a new OEM Mopar switch at a decent price so I just replaced it. Still got the old one in my parts stash "just in case".
Any chance you have the part number for the mopar switch?

Any chance you have the part number for the mopar switch?
I'll have to go down to the shop and see if I put the old switch in the new one's box. I do know that at the time I was surprised to find a new Mopar unit at all, not the least of which at about 2/3s the price I'd been previously seeing them sell for. When I originally fixed the old one, new OEM was very hard to find.

Anyone know what this plug is for? And if for spot lights how do power them on because I have no spot lights currently nor is there a factory switch for them. So I’m thinking this switch probably gets power from the headlights switch. Thanks I’m advance for your insight

E5E92DB6-0B86-4A0B-A0FA-26F5E93A781B.png

My understanding is that these switches did come from the factory with all that current flowing through the switch. Mine was melted that way. I installed a relay to prevent that from ever happening again.

i know this is an old thread but can you help me out on where you added a relay im wanting to do the same