How-to replace a rear main seal on a Jeep 4.0 engine

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
If oil isn’t dripping from beneath your Jeep TJ’s inline-six, it’s because it’s either brand new or the rear main seal has been replaced within the last 40,000 miles. That’s just a fact of four-liter life. A leaking rear main seal (RMS) is almost as common among TJs as a leaking valve cover gasket. Both are annoyances that leave the undercarriage a mess, as well as oily spots wherever the Jeep is parked.

Oil seeping from around the back of the valve cover and running down the rear of the engine block can be easily stopped by either re-torqueing the valve cover bolts or removing and replacing the old gasket with a new one. A leaking RMS, which typically rears its ugly head with leaking oil originating from between the transmission and the engine, is a little more time consuming.

Fixing the leaking seal entails dropping the exhaust, oil pan, main bearing support bar, and rear main bearing, and then replacing the two-piece seal. It’s one of those jobs that shops we work with typically charge at least a few hundred bucks. The good news is that doing the RMS repair yourself is relatively easy, and the cost can be less than $50 for the seal and sealants. The six quarts of oil and a new oil filter of course will add to that.

165603364.jpg

It can be done in a couple hours—providing the exhaust down-pipe bolts come out without breaking off. (Lube them well with penetrating oil the night before.) A basic metric socket set, along with a good torque wrench and a round-nosed punch, are the only tools required. You will need tubes of anaerobic (seals in the absence of air) sealant and RTV sealant, though.

To learn how, follow along as Dunks Performance (in Springfield, Oregon) techs replace the RMS on a customer’s 2006 LJ. The 4.0L had just turned 57,000 miles and it had been seeping oil for six months. The owner of this TJ Unlimited was having a new 4-inch suspension installed, which provided the perfect opportunity to address the oil leak because the front axle assembly and exhaust would already be conveniently out of the way, allowing easy access to the oil pan.

163209843.jpg

165603367.jpg

The first step in replacing the rear main seal is getting the exhaust out of the way. The exhaust was removed from the 2006 4.0L to access the oil pan. Squirting the four exhaust pipe bolts with penetrating lubricant the night before was a big help.

163209846.jpg

A fistful of 11mm bolts holding the oil pan on was removed. Then we carefully peeled off the old pan gasket.

165603373.jpg

Nearly a year’s worth of leaking oil from a bad RMS had accumulated a good coating of residue on the flywheel inspection cover. We had to scrape away the accumulation before cleaning the area with solvent.

165603379.jpg

A dozen 14mm nuts had to be removed to drop out the 4.0L inline-six’s main bearing support bar before we could remove the rear main bearing cap.

163209858.jpg

The correct way to remove the rear main bearing is to gently rock it fore and aft, but not pry it side to side.

165603382.jpg

Here’s what the upper half of the rear main seal looks like once the bearing cap is removed. This one is worn and leaks because the sealing lip at the outer edge facing the crankshaft (left side of the seal) is gone.

163209864.jpg

The lower main bearing sits in the cap and can be easily dislodged. So for good measure remove the bearing and set it aside before removing the old seal and giving the cap a very thorough cleaning, including the grooved surfaces where the seal sits. (Do not damage the cap’s metal surface where the seal sits.)

165603385.jpg

The old seal was gently and carefully tapped with a small round-nosed punch so that it would slide around the crankshaft enough to be grabbed with pliers for removal. Be very, very careful not to gouge or scratch the surface the seal rides on or the new seal will leak.

163209870.jpg

Once we had the old seal slid around about an inch, it was easy to grab it with needle-nose pliers and carefully pull it the remainder of the way out of the groove.

165603388.jpg

Here’s how the old seal (left) and new one compare. Note the lack of sealing edges on the old one, which allowed oil to seep out around the back of the rear main bearing. These seals typically wear out around 50,000 miles on the Jeep inline-sixes.

163209882.jpg

We used a flat screwdriver to gently keep light pressure on the new seal as it was pushed into the groove around the crankshaft. The trick here is to make sure the paper-thin sealing lip, which faces toward the engine, doesn’t get cut by the sharp edge of the groove it slides into. Some seal kits come with a special plastic insertion tool. Ours didn’t.

165603400.jpg

It’s very important to make sure the bearing cap is thoroughly cleaned, including the groove where the seal sits. Use a toothbrush or fine nylon brush to remove all residue form the surface without damaging the metal. This is critical to maintaining a good oil seal.

163209900.jpg

We gently inserted the lower half of the new seal into the cleaned rear main bearing cap, making sure the lip of the seal (seen in close-up photo) faced toward the main bearing. Both bearing and seal got a light coat of new engine oil before reassembly.

165603406.jpg

163209903.jpg

It’s very important to put one drop of anaerobic gasket maker/sealant (Permatex 51813) on each end of the main bearing cap to prevent oil from leaking around the mating edges. Spread the sealant out so it only covers the area between the seal and the groove on the opposite side, as shown in the close-up photo. This is per Jeep’s instruction manual.

165603412.jpg

163209906.jpg

Dunks replaced the rear main bearing cap and then torqued the bolts to 80 lb-ft per Chrysler specs for the 4.0L.

165603418.jpg

After the mating surfaces for the oil pan gasket were cleaned, we put a dab of RTV silicone sealant at the critical areas of the mating surfaces and on the new one-piece oil pan gasket. Using RTV to fill gaps at the corners where the timing cover meets the block, and at the rear where the main bearing meets the block, helps to prevent oil leaks on the 2000-and-newer 4.0L six-cylinders.

163209909.jpg

With the oil pan cleaned inside and out, we lifted it into place and torqued the bolts to factory specifications (7 lb-ft for 1/4-inch x 20s and 11 lb-ft for 5/16-inch x 18s). Now the RMS on this TJ Unlimited 4.0L should be oil leak–free for another decade.

Good tour. There should be a separate tutorial on how to get the exhaust out. I blew half a day just to get two bolts undone. I eventually had to put those two back on and leave it for another day. I've been told that taking the driver's side fender off helps a little, and it's almost a necessity to have new bolts and nuts to replace the old ones, but getting the old ones off kept me from doing the RMS work on my rig.

The main problem is one of clearance. There's no straight-line access to the bolts (there kinda is for one, but definitely not for the others), so you have to either use an open end wrench with a little bit of a dogleg in it (no leverage), or a swivel, which are difficult to find in a shallow enough profile to clear the bend in the pipe. I'm sure it's much easier with access, which is why I mentioned removing the fender, but it's still a pain.

Also, a tip: if you're going to saturate your exhaust pipes with PB Blaster, make sure you let it dry and start it outside. Lots of smelly smoke. Only had to learn that one time.

Reactions: Chris
If all 4.0’s leak oil, how do you know if you should change the RMS?
I noticed I have a little rundown on the front of my transmission but not enough where it drips on the ground. Once I see my TJ is marking it’s territory onto the ground from the RMS, I’ll probably look into changing it out.

Just went through this last weekend. Not the most fun I’ve ever had.
total cost with new seal, pan gasket, oil, oil filter and RTV sealant was around $110. Believe it or not my exhaust bolts at the header weren’t that bad. I did soak them but not over night. I used a 3/8” drive with long extension and universal to get at them.
I didn’t learn about the anerobic sealant until after I was done. I used ultra black sealant. So far so good. Hopefully it holds.
I couldn’t get my exhaust totally off without dropping the skid plate. I didn’t want to do that so I pulled forward and down on the Y pipe and wedged a 3” block of wood between the pipe and frame as it runs down the right side just in front of the bell housing. That allowed me enough room for the pan to drop out. Putting it back in was a little trickier as I had to make sure I didn’t catch the gasket on the journey bolts.
You could see in the front of my pan where water laid. I’m assuming it leaked into the front somewhere around the timing cover and pan. I cleaned the inside of my pan and gasket surface with lacquer thinner removing all oil and crud.
Start to finish draining the oil to new filter and fresh oil took me 7 hours. Longer than I thought but considering I was working on my back and what I went through I guess it’s not to bad.

Reactions: Tim Redman
Replacing cats and O2 sensors x4 soon, guess I’ll add this to the list while I have the exhaust out. Thanks for the write up.

While reading through my service manual in preparation for RMS, oil pump, and oil pan gasket change I noticed this diagram.
It shows 4 points for RTV...2 near main seal (anaerobic) and 2 near front of engine. Now I’ve seen walk through videos showing rtv placed along the entire crescent shaped part of the oil pan gasket corner to corner front and back. Also in the pictures above along the long part of the gasket( I’m assuming to help keep gasket in place during install?).

So is this just overkill or something that needs to be done because the 4 points in the manual don’t cut it?

thanks guys

2A2140FE-DFA1-4880-926D-681D8DDEA761.png

I just like to be safe so I put a thin coat of RTV around the flange of my oil pan and a bit heavier in the corners where the gasket dips down around the main bearing cap and timing cover and left it cure a while just to help hold it in place during instal. Make sure the gasket is lined up properly especially where it will seat in the rear main cap.
I then added the extra sealant on the block where the timing cover meets the block and back at the corners of the main bearing cap as shown in your diagram. Also I added a bit extra to the pan gasket in the same spots. Rear corners of the pan and between the two front bolts of the pan where the arrows are pointing in your diagram.
Maybe someone else will know a better or the correct way.

Reactions: NOLAJeep
Good tour. There should be a separate tutorial on how to get the exhaust out. I blew half a day just to get two bolts undone. I eventually had to put those two back on and leave it for another day. I've been told that taking the driver's side fender off helps a little, and it's almost a necessity to have new bolts and nuts to replace the old ones, but getting the old ones off kept me from doing the RMS work on my rig.

The main problem is one of clearance. There's no straight-line access to the bolts (there kinda is for one, but definitely not for the others), so you have to either use an open end wrench with a little bit of a dogleg in it (no leverage), or a swivel, which are difficult to find in a shallow enough profile to clear the bend in the pipe. I'm sure it's much easier with access, which is why I mentioned removing the fender, but it's still a pain.

Also, a tip: if you're going to saturate your exhaust pipes with PB Blaster, make sure you let it dry and start it outside. Lots of smelly smoke. Only had to learn that one time.

Started removing mine last night and was able to get in from underneath using a combo of 3/8 extension adapted into a 1/4 extension to a 3/8 adapter into the socket. Kinda janky but skinny enough to get past the cats and find a line to the bolts.

Biggest problem I'm having is getting out of the hanger at the transmission. Pulling forward butts the cat up against a heat shield and can't force down enough to pass it and slide out. May have to get creative with a hammer tomorrow. Wasted way more time fighting with it than I want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tldelaney
May have to get creative with a hammer tomorrow. Wasted way more time fighting with it than I want to.

Hammer didn't do it. Had to cut tailpipe off behind muffler. Nuts holding it on were rusted down a size smaller and wouldn't budge.

Who could have guessed a rear main seal would lead to a new cat back exhaust...

Reactions: FishinSam
My dad tried to replace the RMS twice. Both times the RMS leaked again. A retired jeep mechanic said you have to offset the RMS. The original RMS (bought jeep at 145k) was offset. The mechanic said itll leak if you dont offset the seal and there was a service bulletin on it years ago. Not sure how it can be done though. Anyone hear the same thing?

I just want to jump in with something I think would help everyone out with the RMS that has a manual transmission. My dad and I are about to tackle my own RMS replacement and we found something that supposedly makes RMS start leaking more quickly. Definitely check it out to make sure your RMS lasts its longest!

Procedure is outlined in images:

%mg%vTFQRXG920KKdFaykQ.jpg

%mg%vTFQRXG920KKdFaykQ.jpg

xbOmX3Z0Q1yFznglHSvRGw.jpg

Uq%389bqQnuPz+v0NUbhBA.jpg

zQ9HQtLVS3avYN+ZUlQgGg.jpg

I just want to jump in with something I think would help everyone out with the RMS that has a manual transmission. My dad and I are about to tackle my own RMS replacement and we found something that supposedly makes RMS start leaking more quickly. Definitely check it out to make sure your RMS lasts its longest!

Procedure is outlined in images:

View attachment 193860

View attachment 193861

View attachment 193862

View attachment 193863

View attachment 193864
Anybody do this trick?

If oil isn’t dripping from beneath your Jeep TJ’s inline-six, it’s because it’s either brand new or the rear main seal has been replaced within the last 40,000 miles. That’s just a fact of four-liter life. A leaking rear main seal (RMS) is almost as common among TJs as a leaking valve cover gasket. Both are annoyances that leave the undercarriage a mess, as well as oily spots wherever the Jeep is parked.

Oil seeping from around the back of the valve cover and running down the rear of the engine block can be easily stopped by either re-torqueing the valve cover bolts or removing and replacing the old gasket with a new one. A leaking RMS, which typically rears its ugly head with leaking oil originating from between the transmission and the engine, is a little more time consuming.

Fixing the leaking seal entails dropping the exhaust, oil pan, main bearing support bar, and rear main bearing, and then replacing the two-piece seal. It’s one of those jobs that shops we work with typically charge at least a few hundred bucks. The good news is that doing the RMS repair yourself is relatively easy, and the cost can be less than $50 for the seal and sealants. The six quarts of oil and a new oil filter of course will add to that.

View attachment 118139

It can be done in a couple hours—providing the exhaust down-pipe bolts come out without breaking off. (Lube them well with penetrating oil the night before.) A basic metric socket set, along with a good torque wrench and a round-nosed punch, are the only tools required. You will need tubes of anaerobic (seals in the absence of air) sealant and RTV sealant, though.

To learn how, follow along as Dunks Performance (in Springfield, Oregon) techs replace the RMS on a customer’s 2006 LJ. The 4.0L had just turned 57,000 miles and it had been seeping oil for six months. The owner of this TJ Unlimited was having a new 4-inch suspension installed, which provided the perfect opportunity to address the oil leak because the front axle assembly and exhaust would already be conveniently out of the way, allowing easy access to the oil pan.

View attachment 118140

View attachment 118141

The first step in replacing the rear main seal is getting the exhaust out of the way. The exhaust was removed from the 2006 4.0L to access the oil pan. Squirting the four exhaust pipe bolts with penetrating lubricant the night before was a big help.

View attachment 118142

A fistful of 11mm bolts holding the oil pan on was removed. Then we carefully peeled off the old pan gasket.

View attachment 118143

Nearly a year’s worth of leaking oil from a bad RMS had accumulated a good coating of residue on the flywheel inspection cover. We had to scrape away the accumulation before cleaning the area with solvent.

View attachment 118144

A dozen 14mm nuts had to be removed to drop out the 4.0L inline-six’s main bearing support bar before we could remove the rear main bearing cap.

View attachment 118145

The correct way to remove the rear main bearing is to gently rock it fore and aft, but not pry it side to side.

View attachment 118146

Here’s what the upper half of the rear main seal looks like once the bearing cap is removed. This one is worn and leaks because the sealing lip at the outer edge facing the crankshaft (left side of the seal) is gone.

View attachment 118147

The lower main bearing sits in the cap and can be easily dislodged. So for good measure remove the bearing and set it aside before removing the old seal and giving the cap a very thorough cleaning, including the grooved surfaces where the seal sits. (Do not damage the cap’s metal surface where the seal sits.)

View attachment 118148

The old seal was gently and carefully tapped with a small round-nosed punch so that it would slide around the crankshaft enough to be grabbed with pliers for removal. Be very, very careful not to gouge or scratch the surface the seal rides on or the new seal will leak.

View attachment 118149

Once we had the old seal slid around about an inch, it was easy to grab it with needle-nose pliers and carefully pull it the remainder of the way out of the groove.

View attachment 118150

Here’s how the old seal (left) and new one compare. Note the lack of sealing edges on the old one, which allowed oil to seep out around the back of the rear main bearing. These seals typically wear out around 50,000 miles on the Jeep inline-sixes.

View attachment 118151

We used a flat screwdriver to gently keep light pressure on the new seal as it was pushed into the groove around the crankshaft. The trick here is to make sure the paper-thin sealing lip, which faces toward the engine, doesn’t get cut by the sharp edge of the groove it slides into. Some seal kits come with a special plastic insertion tool. Ours didn’t.

View attachment 118152

It’s very important to make sure the bearing cap is thoroughly cleaned, including the groove where the seal sits. Use a toothbrush or fine nylon brush to remove all residue form the surface without damaging the metal. This is critical to maintaining a good oil seal.

View attachment 118153

We gently inserted the lower half of the new seal into the cleaned rear main bearing cap, making sure the lip of the seal (seen in close-up photo) faced toward the main bearing. Both bearing and seal got a light coat of new engine oil before reassembly.

View attachment 118154

View attachment 118155

It’s very important to put one drop of anaerobic gasket maker/sealant (Permatex 51813) on each end of the main bearing cap to prevent oil from leaking around the mating edges. Spread the sealant out so it only covers the area between the seal and the groove on the opposite side, as shown in the close-up photo. This is per Jeep’s instruction manual.

View attachment 118156

View attachment 118157

Dunks replaced the rear main bearing cap and then torqued the bolts to 80 lb-ft per Chrysler specs for the 4.0L.

View attachment 118158

After the mating surfaces for the oil pan gasket were cleaned, we put a dab of RTV silicone sealant at the critical areas of the mating surfaces and on the new one-piece oil pan gasket. Using RTV to fill gaps at the corners where the timing cover meets the block, and at the rear where the main bearing meets the block, helps to prevent oil leaks on the 2000-and-newer 4.0L six-cylinders.

View attachment 118159

With the oil pan cleaned inside and out, we lifted it into place and torqued the bolts to factory specifications (7 lb-ft for 1/4-inch x 20s and 11 lb-ft for 5/16-inch x 18s). Now the RMS on this TJ Unlimited 4.0L should be oil leak–free for another decade.

What parts of the block and oil pan did you specifically put rtv on?

getting ready to change cats and possibly the RMS. Lots of great info here.

No mention in this thread, but it seems like I read that the Mopar RMS seal is the only one worth getting. Is that right?

5018594AB​

Last edited: