How to replace the heater core on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

Imagine this.... dead battery in anything German? The Guidelines for Tow Companies say deck it to the nearest dealer... imagine that on Dec 24th....

Having owned my fair share of BMWs I can verify this is true. On new BMWs they've made it so fucking sophisticated that a new battery has to be 'coded' or programmed to your vehicle.

Stupid Germans... So smart, but also such over-engineers.

To supplement Chris' write up, over at Stu Offroad there's a section on replacing the heater core without removing the dash or steering column. I did this last Fall and it worked out just fine and saved a lot of headaches. Look for the the 7/6/2003 update. http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/heatercore/heatercore-1.htm

I'm not seeing it at all... Maybe you could link to it? I'm not sure how you replace a heater core without removing the dash... That sounds too good to be true.

I'm not seeing it at all... Maybe you could link to it? I'm not sure how you replace a heater core without removing the dash... That sounds too good to be true.

The last update at the bottom of PAGE 2.

Here's a pic of mine

13087538_10207283837148156_295952775245129054_n.jpg

The last update at the bottom of PAGE 2.

Here's a pic of mine

View attachment 12962

Ahhh, interesting! I didn't even think it was possible, but seeing how it's done, it makes complete sense.

Shit, the only reason this works is because the TJ has such a small dash. Try this on a newer vehicle (i.e. a BMW) and there's no way in hell it would work!

Good to know though, very cool!

Reactions: CodaMan
Ahhh, interesting! I didn't even think it was possible, but seeing how it's done, it makes complete sense.

Shit, the only reason this works is because the TJ has such a small dash. Try this on a newer vehicle (i.e. a BMW) and there's no way in hell it would work!

Good to know though, very cool!

You may get a little worried when you hear the creaking of the dash as you slowly pull it back, but it was just noise :)

Reactions: Chris
That's my original write-up on StuOffroad, from 2007. I'd gotten comments from a few folks who managed to do it without removing the dashboard, as you suggest. Since removing the steering column was just a couple of additional bolts, I found it much easier to just remove the whole dash, but to each their own. I'm just glad people are benefiting from the write-up 10 years later!

That's my original write-up on StuOffroad, from 2007. I'd gotten comments from a few folks who managed to do it without removing the dashboard, as you suggest. Since removing the steering column was just a couple of additional bolts, I found it much easier to just remove the whole dash, but to each their own. I'm just glad people are benefiting from the write-up 10 years later!

How much longer do you think it takes to remove the steering column, and therefore the dash?

How much longer do you think it takes to remove the steering column, and therefore the dash?
Including the electrical connections on the wheel, 1 or 2 bolts at the floor, and 3 bolts on the steel cross-member, would estimate 5-10 minutes tops. Well worth it, IMO. Just don't let the column spin, otherwise you may break the clock spring.

Including the electrical connections on the wheel, 1 or 2 bolts at the floor, and 3 bolts on the steel cross-member, would estimate 5-10 minutes tops. Well worth it, IMO. Just don't let the column spin, otherwise you may break the clock spring.

Okay, so it's really not that much more effort to drop the steering column. Good to know!

I think I'd feel more comfortable just doing it that way in all honesty!

Gonna need to tackle this job soon, I've by-passed my core for now but winter is approaching. As soon as I'm up to it, I'll give it a shot. I'm only 3 weeks post op from double valve repair and open heart surgery but optimistic that in a couple weeks I'll be up to trying this job if I go slowly. I've read a lot about this job and the thing right up front that concerns me a bit is the clock spring in the steering column. How hard is it to prevent the wheel from turning and breaking the clock spring ? How delicate is this thing ? any tips to mobilize the wheel so that it can't turn ? any videos of this column removal ?, I've watched several heater core videos but don't recall a detailed or specific concentration on this portion of the procedure. Am I overly worried about something that I just need to be aware of ?

Reactions: Aloha Joe
...How hard is it to prevent the wheel from turning and breaking the clock spring ? How delicate is this thing ? any tips to mobilize the wheel so that it can't turn ? any videos of this column removal ?, ...

Easy! Don't remove the dash, just pull it back with paracord. Go to Stu-Offroad and scroll down and start from the 07/06/2013 update.

13087538_10207283837148156_295952775245129054_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, that looks a bit easier to try. A second question that is burning in my mind, although I don't ever really use it, my TJ is equipped with AC but it isn't really cold (or at all) so I was thinking that as long as I had everything apart I'd also replace my AC condenser. Here my concern is with discharging and then recharging the system, I don't even know for sure that it's really all that charged as I said that it has never really been cold at all since I've had the Jeep. Having never really looked into why, I find myself now wondering about the cost of a new condenser and then the re-charge and a fingers crossed that nothing else in the AC system, i.e. something is broken or not operating correctly. In either case, I still need to discharge to disconnect and get the heater box out. Is there a kit ? something simple ? I know I need some special tools to disconnect the lines, some have suggested some from Harbor Freight ? anyone have another suggestion or model number etc. ?

First off it's evaporator that is next to the heater core, the condenser is located in front of the radiator. No there is no kit available to reclaim the refrigerant from the system, you will need to source a shop for that. For the basic disassembly you will need a line tool that is available at most auto parts store for just a few bucks.

line tool.jpg

Reactions: MikeE024
Thanks, that looks a bit easier to try. A second question that is burning in my mind, although I don't ever really use it, my TJ is equipped with AC but it isn't really cold (or at all) so I was thinking that as long as I had everything apart I'd also replace my AC condenser. Here my concern is with discharging and then recharging the system, I don't even know for sure that it's really all that charged as I said that it has never really been cold at all since I've had the Jeep. Having never really looked into why, I find myself now wondering about the cost of a new condenser and then the re-charge and a fingers crossed that nothing else in the AC system, i.e. something is broken or not operating correctly. In either case, I still need to discharge to disconnect and get the heater box out. Is there a kit ? something simple ? I know I need some special tools to disconnect the lines, some have suggested some from Harbor Freight ? anyone have another suggestion or model number etc. ?

The condenser is not inside of the vehicle, it's in front of the radiator. The evaporator is what's behind the dash. It would be a good idea to replace the evaporator behind the dash while you're in there.

The most important thing is that you have any refrigerant drained properly by a competent shop before taking on this project. I say this because that stuff is extremely pollutant, and if inhaled too much, it can even kill you from what I've heard.

So the smart thing to do to would be to take it to a shop, have them evacuate the system, then take it home and start taking it apart.

But that's beside the point. If your AC isn't blowing cold, it's because you have a leak in the system somewhere. The best way to find an AC leak is to use a UV dye. You put it into the system, run the AC, and after a day or so you go back with a UV flashlight (in the dark) and you will be able to see the UV dye leaking out of anywhere where there is a leak in the system.

That's the easiest way to find your AC leak and not waste money in the process.

A kit like this is what I suggest: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051XCM0C/?tag=wranglerorg-20